Take Matt Flynn off the Vet Tryout List..................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,676 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,138ß
    Matt Flynn agrees to terms with Green Bay Packers
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    • By Marc Sessler
    • Around the League Writer
    • Published: April 15, 2014 at 02:35 p.m.
    • Updated: April 15, 2014 at 04:20 p.m.

The Green Bay Packers have opted for a familiar face at the quarterback position.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that the team has agreed to terms with Matt Flynn, according to a source informed of the move.

It's hardly a surprise after Flynn canceled a planned workout with the New York Giants. Coach Mike McCarthy wasn't about to let the 28-year-old passer go after acknowledging "great respect and admiration" for last season's backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Flynn brings veteran leadership and a built-in knowledge of Green Bay's offense after spending more than four of his six NFL seasons under McCarthy. He'll compete with Scott Tolzien for snaps behind Rodgers and holds the edge for the No. 2 job. McCarthy told reporters at last month's NFL Annual Meeting that he'd be open to keeping all three passers on the 53-man roster.

Flynn's arm strength is a liability, but he's capable of managing a game. He initially struggled as the fill-in for Rodgers down the stretch, but finished with a 2-2 record, including a dazzling come-from-behind win over the Dallas Cowboys in Week 15, a victory that kept Green Bay alive in the NFC playoff race. Flynn also absorbed 17 sacks and struggled to hold on to the football.

After fizzling out with the Seahawks, Raiders and Bills, Flynn's career was on the rocks, but the Packers have brought him home. Again.

The latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast" covers the Aldon Smith arrest and analyzes the offseason movers and shakers in the NFC East and NFC South.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,062 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    He's okay as a backup. I'm hoping we end up with someone better to backup Cutler. Maybe Trestman figures Palmer is good enough. I'm curious who our #2 will ultimately be this year because I expect him to get his share of starts.
  3. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,284 / 14 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    377ß
    Welcome Back.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,676 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,138ß
    Well he made McCown into a pretty good passer and Palmer has been hanging around longer than McCown got a chance to. All the #2 needs to do is run a ball control WCO style game and not turn the ball over. That's all.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,676 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,138ß
    I don't think he heard you. It kinda noisy in the cheese factory up there. :lol 027:
  6. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +340 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    Well damn, that helps the Packers. He knows their offense way better than Tolzein, and if Shea manages to get to Rodgers again they will have a guy step in that knows what he's doing and not Seneca Wallace. I said in the other thread he'd be back with the Packers.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    We'll be fine. Shea is going to have a huge year next year. His goal is going to be 2 sacks and he says they will both be in the same season. I figure one for Rogers and one for Flynn. He'll just take 'em both out and then rest up for 2.5 sacks in 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,676 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,138ß
    Oh, so you're the guy that gave them the idea huh? Thanks a lot! :rock: :rofl2:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    He is good only with a strong supporting cast. Definitely a back-up in the league.
  10. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +340 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    There's nothing wrong with that. You know, I see this a lot about Flynn and did some reading up on the situation. When he was signed by Seattle, he was just an expensive insurance policy in case Tannehill did not fall to them in the first or Wilson did not fall in the third. The Seahawks front office was high on both players, but did not want to trade up for either. They played the odds and figured if both were gone they would just stick it out with Flynn. They gave Wilson a third round grade because of his height, but once they got him in the building, Seattle had a plan and wanted Wilson to win the job. It was his to lose.

Flynn can run an NFL offense. He does not have a great arm, but it is okay enough to keep him in this league. He's not going to carry a team based on his abilities. Seattle used him to make sure they had something at QB so they did not enter the draft desperate at the position. When they got one of the guys they wanted, Flynn became the backup and traded to the Raiders for a 5th rounder while they figured out what they had with Pryor.

Flynn got a lot of money for going to Seattle then Oakland. Like 14.5 million dollars. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...made-a-lot-of-money-for-not-much-performance/

Seattle got exactly what they wanted, and Oakland is still trying to figure out how to operate like a successfully run NFL franchise by imitation but not succeeding. The guy has his limitations, but is a good backup who knows how to prepare in case his number gets called. GB could have done a lot worse.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    Good find, Flynn is a great example of a team that overpays for a backup qb after a few good showings in 1 yr, at least they didn't plan on putting their eggs in that basket ala Cassel and KC. It was a good plan, and Oakland went the KC route; look how it turned out of the those 2.
  12. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +340 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    I feel bad for the fans of Oakland. Now they got Schaub over there via trade. They are just flinging shit on a wall to see what sticks. Do you know how angry I'd be if my team kept trading draft picks for backup caliber QB and declaring a QB competition? In the end, no one wins.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    And they let go of their best D player, and it was hardly a landmark deal the Bears gave him, pretty much going rate, and the guy can play DT, DE andd OLB?!?!?! If anything the Bears got a steal.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Flynn seemed to have done pretty well in terms of winning. And any other QBs that come through the door while the shit (and money) flinging is going on will be on the winning side also. Oakland and their fans?.... not so much
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    It's all good. I understand that Emery had a custom made t-shirt sent that proudly said "Fleece Me" to McKenzie to thank him. I understand McKenzie was very appreciative.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,062 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    Did he order it from that Russian guy who posts here from time to time? One of those .99-cent specials? I got one but they spelled "Bears" wrong :-(
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    JABF. You crack me up. It was never meant to be a Bears t-shirt. It was always a Beers t-shirt, but he's russian and got a little mixed up. He got very excited when he found a whole group of guys that were cheering for their favorite Beer.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,676 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,138ß
    Like McCown, Flynn is or at least was a good backup and one of the few out there who I thought may have been able to come in and challenge for the #2 spot. GB was smart to bring him back. He knows the offense and has run it before. To me it looks more and more like Palmer is gonna be the guy. He's had 6 months more recently to digest the offense and he'll be the guy who'll probably be there throughout the OTAs.

I think we'll see at least one or maybe two QB prospects competing with Johnson for that #3 spot but the list of available vets is shrinking unless they decide later that a guy like Freeman is the best they can get.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,676 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,138ß
    Russian no drink Americanski beer! Russian drink wodka! :10 7 1[1]:
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Of course he would not touch an American Beer. He just sells the t-shirts.