Take Matt Flynn off the Vet Tryout List..................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Yep, Palmer's had exposure to the playbook since August so when camp rolls around he'll have a year with the system. With that familiarity, ability to learn the offense with minimal reps, and most importantly that he went with to Miami for the Cutler voluntary training camp means he probably gets along with Jay and the rest of the important offensive players. In Trestman's touchy-feely world of team building, that makes him hard to let go of in favor for some shlub off the street. Palmer may just be a schlub as well, but he's our schlub.

They will walk through more guys to see what is out there, but I think that's just in case Palmer gets hurt in camp. My bet is that if he makes it to the regular season healthy, he's the #2.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,220ß
    The thing with any QB, is that there are so many elements that have to come together to produce good play. Cerebral, physical, presence of mind, quick decisions, knowledge of the playbook and defenses, etc.

I think that if any of them are not there, you have a good possibility that you won;t get good play. At this point in time, I don't think we have been able to see anything more from Palmer than his ability to learn the playbook. And that is just based on what has been said by Trestman in terms of his study and QB room performances along with the time he has had to learn it.

There are still an awful lot of other factors that I have not seen him display yet (and to be fair - qualities that I was pretty sure McCown did not possess either), so at this point, until I see it on the field, he is just a large unknown that probably knows the playbook pretty well.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,715 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    LOL, thanks I didn't understand that part. The words didn't matter anyway. When I washed it for the first time it shrunk so much my cat wears it now. BTW, my cat doesn't want it anymore, because Peppers plays for the cheeseheads now. Who's jersey should I get him to replace it? He likes linemen (both offense and defense) so I thought I'd get him a lineman's jersey for his birthday :smile:

[​IMG]
    I guess we're a pretty crazy Bears family when even the pets wear their Bears jerseys on game day.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,220ß
    You have two cats. One looks like a DL and the other an OL. You need a Long and an Allen jersey for them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,220ß
    And after you buy them their jerseys, celebrate by getting them some good catnip at Hung Dongs (you can't make this stuff up). Jackie says he is the pwner, but I have doubts. Andy by the way, this is Houston's very own. I go by it frequently. I've never been inside (something about maintaining certain standards).

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    And for some, top notch quality surrounding them at all positions. Some guys can honestly make the players around them better, others need the players around them to elevate them, the latter is far rarer to find.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,715 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    The cat wouldn't even wear his Peppers jersey last season after the first few games & it was clear that Pep was loafing. He left the jersey on the floor in hopes the dog would pee on it (and the cat hates our dog almost as much as he hates Packers).
  8. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,220ß
    You mean the former, but you are right.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    :bah: Can they actually put that on the back of his jersey rather then his name?
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,220ß
    That's pretty damn close to Schaub
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Untrue. He played a quarter (big whoop huh?) last preseason and looked good enough to create some doubt over who they'd keep. Cutler asked for McCown so he got the nod but in camp and preseason they were pretty much even. What Palmer lacks is the NFL game experience and that does concern me a little but whatta ya' gonna do?
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Matt Schaub and Jordan Schlub. What a Madden match up that would be. LOL
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Yeah but it's pronounced Safeway. Still having problems with pronunciations are we? :rofl2:
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,220ß
    well, that's true, but remember Haine? I thought he was going to be our answer at QB with his postseason performance a few years ago. I want to see him play a game or two before I decide if he can really do it. It took me a few games with McCown and even then I kept rubbing my eyes.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,715 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    My thinking changed regarding backup QB's. Previous to last season, I figured that once your franchise QB goes down to serious (multi games) injury your season pretty much was over at that point. Trestman/McCown changed my thinking on this. I can see that a #2 QB can keep the season moving forward. If we would have had a moderately decent defense last year we're in the playoffs.

I'm just trusting Trestman on this backup QB situation.

Whomever he sees fit to be the #2 will probably be a solid backup who can win games. Trestman is a smart guy, and he realizes there's a good chance our #2 guy will be pressed into a starting role this year (like every year w/Jay going down to injuries since 2009). Consequently, Trestman will have a good guy at #2. That may be Jordan Palmer, or it could be somebody else. But, I'm not worrying over this now. I climbed down from the ledge :-)
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,220ß
    I get confused sometimes....
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I hear ya' but as I recall Martz had serious doubts about Hanie and expressed them. At the time I defended Hanie and as it turns out I was wrong for the very first time in my life. :sign believecrap: Now :drugs: to get me past all that.

I gotta go with 99 here. We have no other choice but to trust Trestman and Cavanaugh to evaluate Palmer on the simple basis that he could take over in an emergency and still win games. If in their opinion he can't, then I expect them to have a Plan B to go to. Whether that's a seasoned vet or a guy with a year or two of clip board holding for another team we may be able to pick up on waivers or trade for I don't know but for now I ain't gonna worry about it.
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    This is my line of thinking here, after seeing what the weapons around a, to be nice, below average qb and Trestman working his wonders could do for McCown, I have complete faith in what he does...as long as it's not bring in Tebow.