Take this and stuff it in your pipes!

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 29, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,715 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    I'm not trying to diss Buddy here, and I agree that Coaching is very important, and Buddy was a good coordinator (not a great head coach IMHO.....he lost as many games as he won - 55 wins, 55 losses).

But in the end, player talent is the key factor. In the mid-80s our D was loaded & Buddy looked like a guru. But when Buddy went to a team with less talent on D than he had on the Bears, well, the Eagles D wasn't anything to write home about. Yet the Bears continued to be solid with Buddy gone.. By Buddy's second year at the Eagles, the defense had dropped to one of the worst in the entire NFL. He no longer had the bigtime talent.

I'll always be glad we had Buddy here, and we owe him a lot for great defenses here. But it was the talent he had that made those teams special. Buddy was a fun character though for the fans, and we all will have great memories of those years.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,222ß
    :):)
    I can argue both sides ot this JABF. I would say that the Eagles "dream team" was an example of talented players with lousy coaches that fell apart. I also think (I am in the minority here) that Peppers is not necessarily bad this year. I think it is more how he is being used as well as some other factors that I can't put my fingure on. Whatever malais has hit the rest of the D. And there are also countless stories of teams that did not have very many superstarts, yet were dominant because they played well as a team.

I think coaching is every bit as important as players. I go back and forth which is more important. All I know is if you have both, you are in good shape!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,715 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    I agree BIH. I'm not disagreeing with anyone here. I guess my main point was simply that the Bears team was obscenely loaded with talent (even multiple Hall of Fame level talent) in that era. They had a solid D coordinator in Buddy. But Buddy wasn't a "guru" that made something out of nothing (we know that only Mike Tice can coach at THAT level :D). Buddy inherited a gold mine of talent. He took that talent and built a solid defense.

We could sure use some of Buddy Ryan's fire now.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,222ß
    yeah, I am sure on board with that. The most recent "attacking" D I think we have had was Rivera's. I'm not saying Marinelli's D was bad. It rated very high most years. I just like to watch an aggressive D. But I also love to watch defensive takeaways, and Marinelli/Lovie have done that more than any other team I can remember. Put them together and I would just never get off the couch watching that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yup Charles Martin. Just think he was suspended for ONLY TWO GAMES! Now he'd be banned for life.

Thanks for the links. It sucks about McMahon getting hurt. If he had stayed healthy just think of what could have happened in Chicago.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    Sorry for a way back post bump.... But I got this book for Christmas and read it while I workout and must say, A great read. Awesome insight and makes me wanna workout more...

Thanks OP great book