TE Colt Lyerla

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 26, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +723 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    511ß
    High upside guy with lots of issues.
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    Worth a pick in the right round. It's a position of need and Long would help him out as far as life outside of football.
  4. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    He could last all the way though and be an UDFA. With all the issues I don't know if he is worth a draft choice. Maybe our last 6th round pick.

But the more I read about his history, he has serious baggage. After his bust for cocaine use (seen snorting coke in a parking lot by cops) and interfering with police during his arrest, he declined to enter a court supervised drug treatment program which would have guaranteed a dismissal of both charges.

From nfldraftscout

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/pyrnotes.php?pyid=119336&draftyear=2014&genpos=TE

Hopefully he has gotten his stuff together since then. But I can't understand turning down an offer like that.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    The article I posted claims he wanted to leave Oregon and get away from the bad influences, which is why he turned down the Drug Court Program as he would not have been able to leave the state. Obviously I can not vouch for the truth but K. Long seems to support him so thats a positive.
  6. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I read the article and I understand that he wanted to be able to enter the NFL draft this year. My concern is that we have someone who just hit a major incident in the last 8 months or so and may not have had enough time to deal with it completely (there is a reason that some of these treatment programs are 6 - 12 months long). There will be a lot of stress and temptation as a NFL player. Any team that brings him in will need to recognize his issues and make sure he has support and continues on a positive path.

I am not saying that I would not want him in Training Camp. Just that he would be an extremely risky investment as a 4th or 5th round draft choice.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    Valid concern.
  8. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    This is why I'm glad that we have people like Emery and Trestman making these decisions. I sure wouldn't want to.
  9. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    The way I view drugs and football is that is very much part of the lifestyle for these collegiate athletes. Sure, there are without a doubt a lot of straight edge guys, but I've been to more than enough parties (or sessions) with these guys in attendance so I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend they are or should all be saints. I won't get into addictive personalities and the virtues of getting caught relative to brain power, but I will say I have no problem with adding a guy like him if our psych and eval guys like his stuff.
  10. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    I would pick him with our 7th round pick!
    get it?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I'm not trying to write this guy off. And I understand his upside. Athletically, he has terrific potential.

If our organization thinks he is worth a shot, I would be OK with it. Just that with his issues being so recent, I am bit leery.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    I agree. This is what late round picks are ideally suited for--taking a chance on a guy with high athletic upside who fallen in the draft for hopefully correctable reasons that are in the past. If he's still using, then of course not. If he's hurt or way out of shape, same deal. But if not this would a good place to use a 5th-6th round pick IMO.
  13. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Lyerla was able to participate in the Combine and was interviewed by 17 teams. It will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft.
  14. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    Just a question of whether he's a kid who made a mistake and got caught with some coke or if he has further drug (or other) related problems. I'm all for forgiving one or even two mistakes, but you have to look for where there's smoke there might be fire.
  15. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    This is the only occasion I am aware of. Now he supposedly was missing practices and late for games the entire season before he finally quit so was probably going on for a while until he got caught. Typically you do not start doing drugs with coke, so I am pretty sure he did others leading up to coke. But only the one run in with the law for drugs as far as I know.

I believe we need to do due diligence on his background and know the whole picture. If he has turned it around, I am all for taking him in rd 5 or 6. I read other articles and the comments under them indicate other fans from other teams like his also. Got to believe with Kyle on the team Emery is atleast aware of him.

With the need for DT, S, CB and LB this kid could fit our need for TE after we get the other needs addressed. Fedorowicz goes in rd 3 or 4 and I think he may be the last of the TE's who could help us immediately. Lyerla could potentially help us immediately (2 TE set) and insurance against injury to Bennett which we do not seem to have right now on the roster.

I do not know if Emery will give him a shot or not but seems to be in the Marquese Wilson mold. Screwed up in college and looking for a second chance. Before you bash me I am not saying Wilson did coke, just they screwed up.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I understand exactly what you are saying BSB ... and agree totally. My concern with Lyerla is if he has a real substance abuse issue he may still be in avoidance/denial about it.

I am sure that if the Bears are interested in him, he will be put under the microscope and Emery, Trestman, et al will all do their due diligence on the issue.

Lyerla's physical talents are awesome. Assuming he could learn Trestman's offense quickly, he would present all sorts of problems for opposing defenses.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Think this team really wants to get anywhere NEAR another coke head after the issue with Hurd? I know he has upside, and I know Emery isn't squeamish about "character issues" but this one seems like a bigger risk, and at what point do a few character problems start to turn into the majority?
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    I dunno.. Would have to be sure he is no longer doing it and it was a fling if you will. Sure hate to have him take the team down a bad path, but if he is clean and can help I give him the chance as we could use his skill set. All kids screw up and college is a place where kids explore alcohol and drugs, so just need to understand where he is now and put a support system around him. If it does not pan out you are not out much as the chance of a late round pick making the team are not very good anyway..
  19. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I dont give anyone a pass for doing something wrong. They know its wrong when they do it an they do it anyway. College kids can do dumb things, but they ARE old enough to know the difference between right and wrong. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to draft him with our early 6th rounder. Too much talent to pass up and when they call him to say "We're getting ready to draft you", I would also say "Ya get one shot kid, you're going to be a 6th rounder and we won't hesistate to cut you if you go back to your old ways" simple as that.
    • Like Like x 3
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    My thoughts exactly