TE Colt Lyerla

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 26, 2014.

1. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +466 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    457ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I'm not trying to write this guy off. And I understand his upside. Athletically, he has terrific potential.

If our organization thinks he is worth a shot, I would be OK with it. Just that with his issues being so recent, I am bit leery.

2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,754 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    820ß
    I agree. This is what late round picks are ideally suited for--taking a chance on a guy with high athletic upside who fallen in the draft for hopefully correctable reasons that are in the past. If he's still using, then of course not. If he's hurt or way out of shape, same deal. But if not this would a good place to use a 5th-6th round pick IMO.

3. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +466 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    457ß
    Lyerla was able to participate in the Combine and was interviewed by 17 teams. It will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft.

4. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    Just a question of whether he's a kid who made a mistake and got caught with some coke or if he has further drug (or other) related problems. I'm all for forgiving one or even two mistakes, but you have to look for where there's smoke there might be fire.

5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,258 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,047ß
    This is the only occasion I am aware of. Now he supposedly was missing practices and late for games the entire season before he finally quit so was probably going on for a while until he got caught. Typically you do not start doing drugs with coke, so I am pretty sure he did others leading up to coke. But only the one run in with the law for drugs as far as I know.

I believe we need to do due diligence on his background and know the whole picture. If he has turned it around, I am all for taking him in rd 5 or 6. I read other articles and the comments under them indicate other fans from other teams like his also. Got to believe with Kyle on the team Emery is atleast aware of him.

With the need for DT, S, CB and LB this kid could fit our need for TE after we get the other needs addressed. Fedorowicz goes in rd 3 or 4 and I think he may be the last of the TE's who could help us immediately. Lyerla could potentially help us immediately (2 TE set) and insurance against injury to Bennett which we do not seem to have right now on the roster.

I do not know if Emery will give him a shot or not but seems to be in the Marquese Wilson mold. Screwed up in college and looking for a second chance. Before you bash me I am not saying Wilson did coke, just they screwed up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +466 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    457ß
    I understand exactly what you are saying BSB ... and agree totally. My concern with Lyerla is if he has a real substance abuse issue he may still be in avoidance/denial about it.

I am sure that if the Bears are interested in him, he will be put under the microscope and Emery, Trestman, et al will all do their due diligence on the issue.

Lyerla's physical talents are awesome. Assuming he could learn Trestman's offense quickly, he would present all sorts of problems for opposing defenses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,126 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,486ß
    Think this team really wants to get anywhere NEAR another coke head after the issue with Hurd? I know he has upside, and I know Emery isn't squeamish about "character issues" but this one seems like a bigger risk, and at what point do a few character problems start to turn into the majority?

8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,258 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,047ß
    I dunno.. Would have to be sure he is no longer doing it and it was a fling if you will. Sure hate to have him take the team down a bad path, but if he is clean and can help I give him the chance as we could use his skill set. All kids screw up and college is a place where kids explore alcohol and drugs, so just need to understand where he is now and put a support system around him. If it does not pan out you are not out much as the chance of a late round pick making the team are not very good anyway..

9. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +916 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    221ß
    I dont give anyone a pass for doing something wrong. They know its wrong when they do it an they do it anyway. College kids can do dumb things, but they ARE old enough to know the difference between right and wrong. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to draft him with our early 6th rounder. Too much talent to pass up and when they call him to say "We're getting ready to draft you", I would also say "Ya get one shot kid, you're going to be a 6th rounder and we won't hesistate to cut you if you go back to your old ways" simple as that.

• Like Like x 3
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,754 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    820ß
    My thoughts exactly