TE Ed Dickson?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by mdbearz, Apr 8, 2014.

1. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    This guy is still out there.

I watched him have a pretty decent season last year when he was called upon to fill the role for Dennis Pitta, while he recovered from hip surgery.

Bennett had a great year last year, but we need another guy that is a capable back-up to fill that role.

I know highlight reels do not tell the whole story, but this guy could start on lesser teams, and he was actually drafted AHEAD of Pitta.

2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    126ß
    This year's TE class is deep, so I'd rather draft one in the mid rounds.
  3. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Def. an upgrade over 'now u see me - now u don't' Rosario, although Dante is a decent blocker, so i guess his purpose is filled
  4. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    This is one of the worst years for TE's... I remember watching and reading about how poor the TE class was and how the scouts were literally face palming at their pro day
    • Like Like x 1
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    126ß
    As far as I know, there are quite a few guys ready to start on day one. Eric Ebron, Jace Amaro, Troy Niklas, CJ Fiedorowicz, Arthur Lynch just to name a few.
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    I'm not sure any of the later round guys could offer what Dickson could. I don't see us using a 1,2,3 or even a 4th round pick on a TE.

And Dickson is 27 without a lot of miles but some really good experience (guy has a Superbowl ring).
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,442 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    628ß
    If we can sign a guy with NFL experience vs using a high enough draft pick on one to virtually assure that he can make the team and contribute that would be a plus. At a vet minimum he'd cost a little more but you're more certain of what you're getting.

Rosario is actually a very good blocker and STeams guy but he's also more of an Hback type than a true TE. If we don't make many moves as far as TEs go then I'd say they're happy with the progress Onobun made on the PS last year. The guy has mad talent if he can ever put it all together.
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Onobun has the physical tools to be great, but so did Kellen Davis. All I remember about Onobun was that it seemed like he has stone hands.

Like you said Rosario does not fill the role if Bennett gets hurt, niether does Onobun or a late round draft pick.
    If Bennett is hurt we have nothing to fill that void and that was a huge advantage last year.

I'm not saying that Dickson is a savior, but he is a very good fit for a position that we have no solution to.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,834 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Regarding Dickson, he can't catch. He can't block. Why on earth would we want him here? There is a reason why no team has signed him.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  10. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    yeah, was Kellen any good in Cleveland or where ever he was playing, too bad for him
  11. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    I watched every game last year and he was solid catching the ball.

Honestly I realize most might think I'm a homer but I was not expecting much from him in replacement of Pitta.
    He had most of his drops in the beginning of the season, and I was infuriated with him, but he caught EVERYTHING that was thrown his way after those first few games.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,834 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I trust you MD. I haven't watched him at all, so I don't know anything about him. I just read that article and thought why on earth bring in another stone-hands guy who also can't block. That article was pretty damning regarding his play.
  13. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    There is some truth, he did not live up to his potential, and he did have some drops early last year while splitting time with Dallas Clark.

But with my critical eyes :), I saw a guy that could produce what he did in 2011, and that was when Pitta had a good season also.

The other thing that I like about him is if you watch his highlights, look at how he catches the ball.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    If he can't block, Tucker might be able to use him
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,834 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    If he truly can't catch, then maybe they should box him up and ship him to Lovie in Tampa. Lovie has GM powers now over personnel (and looks like he'll sign about anyone now). He's like my grandpa at the garage sales. Always coming home with useless stuff, but bought cheap.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Lovie having free reign on personnel is even scarier than Angelo.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,442 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    628ß
    Well it all comes down to what they feel they may have in Onobun. We saw him screw up last preseason but we also saw him make some catches and throw some decent blocks so he has the general idea but not the consistency needed. After a year of playing every week on the PS and scout team if they've still kept him around they must have at least some hope for him.

I'm not saying for or against only wetting my finger and holding it in the air to see which was the wind blows. If we aren't is any mad rush to sign a FA TE or draft one high then they must feel a certain amount of progress has been made. We don't have Lovie and JA around blowing smoke up our asses any longer so if they're comfortable with him I'll accept that for now.
  18. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That's not to name a few, that's to name them all if you include Austin Jenkins. I'd rather just stick with D than spend a mid rounder on a low upside, third TE like Lynch or Gilmore. It's not an athletic pass catching class by any stretch at the top but there are some guys like Annen and Lyerla late who could be developed while they play ST.
  19. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +486 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    Since the Bears took a shot on Marquess Wilson last yr who was in some college trouble, I am hoping they take a chance on Colt Lyerla this yr for TE. He definitely screwed up missed a game and then caught snorting a white substance. Since then he supposedly moved away from his bad influences and been on the up. Kids make bad mistakes but missing a game and the insinuation is you were screwed up. Many scouts like him but many not willing to give him a chance, he can probably be gotten in rd 6. Would prob be a 3rd round pick if he didnt screw up. I would not pick him up before the 6th but much like Marquess Wilson, if it works out you get a steal and if not you have little invested.

LOL, I just wish he did not look like Aaron Hernandez.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1829535/colt-lyerla
    upload_2014-4-8_17-40-20.png
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +991 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    If he could be had in the 6th (especially now that C is off the draft radar), Id take him in a heartbeat. Perfect high potential reward pick to take a chance on late in the draft. Emery would just say to him: "you screw up again and you're as gone as Evan Rodriguez. Now do you want that or do you want to play football?"

If he cokes out all you lose is one of your 6th rounders, no biggie.