Teams Who Need a Defensive Tackle...............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 21, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Teams in need of defensive tackle
    Nate Davis, USATODAY 10 a.m. EDT April 21, 2014

Teams in need of a defensive tackle:

Chicago Bears:
    No team gave up more rushing yards last season. DEs Jared Allen and Lamarr Houston arrived via free agency, but the Bears still need penetrators inside to execute a scheme that rarely employs the blitz.

LOUIS NIX: Notre Dame DT projected in first round

Dallas Cowboys: Their conversion to a 4-3, Cover 2-based system didn't go well in 2013. Even if new DT Henry Melton (knee) is healthy this year, the interior depth is questionable.##BR##

Houston Texans: J.J. Watt is the only returning starter on the defensive line for a unit that struggled to stop the run during last year's free fall.

New England Patriots: Starting DTs Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly are over 30, and both are coming back from season-ending injuries. Wilfork's offseason contract spat is an indicator he might not be around much longer.

Philadelphia Eagles: Entering Year 2 in Billy Davis' 3-4 base scheme, the Eagles could use help on the nose and depth given how long their defense tends to be on the field.
    Follow Nate Davis on Twitter @ByNateDavis
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Guess this must be my day to beat up on sportswriters who probably spend the rest of the year writing home and garden columns and have no idea what they're talking about. Editors must pull these 3rd stringers out of the trash heap and order them to write draft articles to sell newspapers.

Here's another guy who gets the Bears need for a DT correct, and gets the basic idea of the scheme correct, (penetration) then picks a big slow NT to execute it and all based on the false assumption that we need a 330-350lb tub of lard to stop teams from running us silly.

We haven't used a big NT like him since the days of Ted Washington but apparently he over looked that and Phil Emery's comments about the need to have a 3 tech DT to make the defense run well. I expect we'll see even more of this as we get closer to draft weekend and everyone needs to write articles to stay relevant.

Most would blame the NFL for all of this overhype but I don't. I blame Jerry Angelo! If he didn't write stupid shit he never followed himself then no one else would feel like they had to follow suit.

PS: One good thing about this is that if he's correct as far as those teams go then the only one in front of us is Houston at #1 overall and they won't draft Donald. Clowney is their guy.
  3. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    I'd rather pick Tuitt, foot surgery and all, than Nix. If not for that injury, I'd have him right there with Donald, Dix and Pryor on my wish list.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    If he's still there in the 2nd round maybe we'll get around Tuitt. (I know that was bad) LOL

I thought he was more of a DE. Not much of a pass rusher is he? Or at least that's what his profile indicates. Not really the size you want for a DT either.
  5. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    He's a 3 tech slash 5 tech in a 3-4, and has a huge upside in either role. He created as much pressure from the 3-4 end as anyone in the nation.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Probably Giants as well. At least my good friend who is just as big Giant fan as I am is saying they need a DT and could see them take Donald
    Inb4 Emery picks him at #14. Has versatility Emery loves and is an unexpected pick. I could see Emery pick him if we had the 25th pick or higher.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,775 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,357ß
    I wonder if Nix can jump out of a swimming pool? If that's the case we may want him. :lol 027:
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    What bothers me a little is his height. It's perfect for a 3-4 5 tech and he plays the run well but I'd rather have shorter DTs who can stay low to gain leverage. I still believe if what we want is a 3 tech who can get off on the snap and penetrate or split double teams then that's who we should draft not a hybrid player who would be better in 3-4 and we're trying to make him into a 4-3 DT.

IMHO opinion we've drafted players in each of the last two drafts and expected them to play positions we've found out or are finding out they aren't best equipped to play. I'd like to see Emery stop doing that. These kids are wasting at least a year of development at a spot they should be at while proving they aren't best suited for the position we drafted them to play.

Maybe you take gamble like that on a second or third round guy but he needs to hit on that first pick square between the eyes.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Others see that too but in the last two years they're lost a productive TE (Bennett) and a productive WR (Nicks). Watkins won't be there but I'm pretty sure at least one of Evans or Ebron will be. It seems like WR or even an OT is the higher need. If they're replacing Lival Joseph then one of the bigger DT they can pick up later also seems to make more sense. I wouldn't rule it out but they do seem to have higher needs.
  10. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    I just really like his penetration skills and how they play at either position.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    It may be worth adding one more thing here and that as good as he's tested and played in both college and at the Sr. Bowl Donald still represents some degree of risk to whoever takes him. Few teams with top ten picks want to take that risk when there are kids like Clowney, Mack and Barr out there who are all edge rushers. The sheer number of great inside pass rushers is pretty small.

I'd say that if Donald isn't with the right team playing to his strengths like he did at Pitt then he may not turn out to be the dominator some (including me) believe he can be. Maybe some team can turn him into an edge rusher like Freeney or Dumervil but those guys actually played DE in college so there was at least some tape and frame of reference on them at that spot.

I believe the reason so many have him mocked to the Bears is that he's such a perfect fit for that 3 tech DT spot we've used for years and the focal point of the interior of the line. I don't deny that there are others who also fit the Bears needs but risks aside I think the Bears offer him the best shot of any pro team and he offers them the player best suited to play that DT spot.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Fair enough. What's the situation with his injury?
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,296ß
    He's pretty big. He might BE the swimming pool
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,296ß
    I'm going to have to report that!
  15. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    No idea, but it's worrisome for sure. Especially after first hand experience with how a big boy like Dusty handled it.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,419 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    I doubt Nix could even CLIMB out of a swimming pool.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Maybe it does push him down into round two? I just never trust these "Domer" linemen to be in the pros what they seemed to be in college. In fact quite a few of their top players seem to disappoint in the pros.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yeah but if they ever make "Cannonball Dive" an Olympic sport he's the guy I want playing for the US.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,419 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Don't be anywhere in the vicinity unless you're prepared to get really really wet.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,296ß
    Not sure about getting out a swimming pool, but if he ever did that, he sure could empty one...
    • Funny Funny x 1