The 2015 Draft may change again

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    770ß
    Somehow I managed to forget the word DRAFT in the title. Maybe a mod can fix it. We can't seem to edit our own titles, any my typing impaired fingers could really use that little enhancement.

This would be a better solution IMO than what he did this year.

NFL Draft
    Roger Goodell: 2015 NFL Draft Date Not Decided, Could Be Four Days

by Doug Kyed on Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:45AM

[​IMG]The NFL has their own version of an old idiom: “If it ain’t broke, keep fixing it.”
    The league moved back the 2014 NFL draft two weeks from April to May, and Roger Goodell told NFL Media’s Jeff Darlington on Friday that more changes could be in order for the 2015 event.
    Goodell said the draft could be moved back to April next year, and that it might not be in Radio City Music Hall. He also said the NFL is considering making the draft a four-day event, though it would stay seven rounds.
    ProFootballTalk reported that agents, and at least one general manager don’t like the draft being pushed back two weeks. There has been a long stretch from free agency to the draft.
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I hate waiting so long for the draft, and to stretch it out over 4 days?

No way am I interested in watching them drag out the draft, it is already too long.
  3. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    With the way Goodell is running things, if the draft is moved away from Radio City Music Hall, it will most certainly get moved to the third ring under the big top.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    770ß
    I'd rather move it up two seeks and add an extra day than keep it two weeks out. We still gain 13 days on it.
  5. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Goodell can go get bent... I still miss the all-day Saturday and Sunday draft. The Saturday with the first 3 rounds used to be a big event amongst my buddies and I. We would set up two big screen TVs in a room. One with the draft, the other with a video game system. We would BBQ and grill tons of food.

Now, we might meet up for the first round for an hour or two, when/if we can get off of work that night and meet at the location to watch it. Or we might text each other our thoughts from our own couches, sitting alone at home. It's not the same.

I guess Goodell made some extra millions for his owners by making it prime time, but this is one of those that continually pisses off the die hard fan base from what I've seen. Really, the explosion of the NFL hasn't been the betterment of the game and associated functions, it's been making it more appealing to the fair weathered masses. Drafting during primetime, fantasy football, it all appeals to the more fair weathered fan. I get it, it's a business, they're making more money. But it doesn't mean it's better.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    Butka, you never sell your product to the die hards, they'll show up no matter how pissed they are. You sell your product to the average or not insterested crowd, to try and create more hard core fans.

I don't like it either, and the 3day thing sucks but this is their best business strategy.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Oh I definitely understand what they're doing Ricza, I know it's about money and nothing more. I don't buy into any of that BS pandering that you occasionally hear from NFL brass about rivalries, the fans, and love of the game. They view us all as a bunch of wallets, and the game as a means to their money, and nothing more. I'm just being idealistic and grumbling about it. I really enjoyed the old format and if there's one thing that's changed over the years that tells me it's all about money, more than any other (even the newer 'safety' rules), it's this.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    I don't think anyone that is a fan of the NFL can truly complain about the NFL safety rules. You want to watch the NFL then you need a steady stream of new talent; and those safety rules were put in place to try and limit the head inj's in the game that have parents scared shitless for their kids short and longterm health. There has been a very steep and steady decline in youth football and the league cannot just keep doing lip service on safety and need to actually make real changes or the sport will go the way of Boxing and Horse racing sooner then later.
    NCAA and Riddell are giing w/a new football helmet that is supposed to help redirect energy away from the head and also let staff know of potential concussions. There are some real steps happening to keep football as a long term viable sport, and that is not just for the owners wallett, but for our enjoyment also.

I did perfer the old format, hell I still wish they had 12 rounds of the draft, but some changes have to happen.
  9. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Wasn't complaining about the safety rules, Ric, or how they may have 'ruined' the game, as some would say... though I do think some of the QB protection rules have gotten out of hand. I think it's good there's an awareness about the head injuries, but I'm still waiting to see what shakes out before I'd let my own son play the sport. Anyways, what I'm saying is that I truly believe the NFLs main motive for the safety rules isn't because they truly care about the players, it's because they care more about money. I think it's simply self preservation in numerous ways. One, you already touched on... the future of the sport itself. Second, they want the best product on the field and seeing their multi-million dollar investments get hurt scares them. Lastly, they're concerned about future liability. Perhaps I'm being overly cynical.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +736 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    Well, I'm one of those die-hards that actually likes the new format. I don't know what stage of life you guys are in, but I work full time, I'm a father with kids that have weekends off from school and I'm a homeowner. The draft falls in the spring when there is a butt load of things that must be done around a house when the weather breaks and they have to be done when it's daylight and no rain. There are proms to get the kids ready for, there are spring ball games that always seem to schedule double-headers on Saturdays, and then there is always time with the family. I don't know how many drafts I have missed or had to listen to on the radio while working outside, or on my way to Home Depot for supplies, but there is always something that is time critical during weekend days this time of year. Yea, I can record it, but that takes all the fun out of it. You guys can still get drunk with your friends if you want to, just do it in the evening (Thursday and/or Friday night) instead of all day Saturday.

It may make more money for the league doing it this way, but it's also better for some of us that are over 25 and have other commitments, and frankly, that's a lot of us.
  11. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Wow! You have a full time job and kids! And you own a home!!!!

I'm in my 30s with 2 kids. Have owned a home since I was 23 (not sure that really matters in any of this, but since you're waving your dick around....). Believe it or not, I can get together with my buddies and not get shitfaced. Even when we did the draft day before kids came around, we didn't drink much... we just eat a lot. It's called a day in the basement while my wife runs around with the kids and watches them. I do the same for her when she needs a girls' night. Don't let me bump you off your high horse though. I understand not everyone is like me and doesn't have the same tastes... was just voicing my want for the old format and from my non-scientific anecdotal asking around, most have agreed with me. Not saying it's absolutely true everywhere... just in my circles.
  12. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    484ß
    Please give us back a late April two day draft. The new format is not as entertaining.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,457 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    759ß
    eh, if they stretch it one more day then it would go 1st Round (Day 1), 2nd round (Day 2), 3rd and 4th round (Day 3), and 5th, 6th and 7th round (Day 4).

Not much different than what they currently do, and by the time you hit the 5th round, the picks really do not matter all that much anyway.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,880 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    871ß
    Screw it. There are seven rounds, give each round its own day. Make it a week long event. If you are going to make it four days, why not? Oh yeah.... because people don't really care much about the later rounds.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +739 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    I vote for spreading it out to 1 rd a weekend. That way everyone can look for the NEXT MAN UP to draft. :1 4 45[1]:
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    That's the problem, people are already tuning out for the final few rounds, so why give them their own day?
  17. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,457 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    759ß
    Who knows, i never watch more than the first two rounds anyway. I get the rest via updates on my phone.
  18. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,880 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    871ß
    First three rounds are my limit. After that, most of the guys drafted are players you might need to be a hardcore college football fan to know.

Split it into two days. 1-3 day 1, 4-7 day two. Aren't most of the 4-7 rounders just names across the screen anyway?
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    770ß
    I'll do you one better. They only play games 5 months out of the year. That leaves 7 months left. Perfect. One round per month.
  20. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,880 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    871ß
    I will one up you. One round a month.... one pick a month. Super Bowl teams do not get a pick unless they trade in to get one ;)