The Bear's Backup QB

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Apr 1, 2014.

?

Who would you want to compete for backup QB? (multiple picks allowed)

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    This topic seems to come up in almost every thread, so I thought it may deserve its own. Palmer should not be just given the job with little or no competition. Trestman has clearly stated that this is still a need so the real question is what should be done. Obviously we can follow one of two trains of thought.

Option A. Find a middle age or vet backup in FA. There are decent options there. Get someone who dosen't need much work.
    In no particular order:
    Freeman,
    Grossman, Quinn, McCoy, Clausen, Tebow, Kolb,​

Option B. Draft a guy for Trestman to develop from the ground up. Go young and trust Trestman, possibly find "our guy" for the future.
    By projected round:
    1-Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater
    2-Carr, Garoppolo,
    3-Mettenberg, McCarron,
    4-Savage, Boyd
    5-Thomas, Murray
    6-Smith, Shaw, Mathewes, Fales, Franklin, Renner

Personally I think we should look for the answer via draft. Go young, and let Tresty get his hands on a young guy who he can develop from the ground up. Don't pay a bit more than we should for a backup FA. We have 3 years at a minimum to develop a guy and then either he can take over, we can start over on a developmental guy, or we have a nice trade bait option that will go for a premium. I think there is too many positives to drafting a quality guy and letting him go through Trestmans system and teaching to hopefully develop into a solid guy. If he pans out we have the insurance policy against the often injured Cutler, and if Cutty stays healthy and is preforming well we can probably get a higher return on our investment via a trade. Will always give the savvy Emery a tool in his arsenal if a situation comes where he may need it.​

Hey, at least its discussion to argue over players not named Donald, Dix, Pryor, Mosley.:4_2_111v[1]:(insert dead horse picture here)
  2. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Lately I've been thinking McCarron might not be a bad option if he's still around in the 3rd or 4th and we've gotten what we wanted out of our first few picks. We would at least get some good shots of his smoking hot wife during the game. As a player, he's won on every level, high school champ, college champ. He isn't the most flashy player, or highest rated passer by the draft knowledgeables, but he knows how to manage a game, move the chains while eating up the clock, and has a great td/int ratio to top it off. Sometimes it's just a matter of not doing something stupid to lose the game rather than win it, and I think he excels at this. His experience in the SEC and BCS means he could handle the pressure of stepping in a big game if Cutler ever went down. He also threw for 30 tds his junior year and four against ND in the BCS championship.
    The last thing I want is one of these guys that has never really played in the huge nationally televised games against great ranked teams like Bortles or Garoppolo. I understand they have loads of talent but there is just no way of us knowing, or of them knowing how they will perform against the cream of the crop with the pressure blowing the top off the stadium. At least with McCarron you know he isn't gonna shit his pants.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,449 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    If Freeman is out there I'd bring him in along with Colt McCoy. Where is that kid we had on the PS in 2012. The one from Whitewater?

Draft possibly but not before 5 and preferably 6 or an UDFA.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +259 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    Matt Blanchard. He's been my favorite UDFA QB for a while. Currently on the Panthers PS. Actually a local boy (Lake Zurich Bears). Tremendous HS and collegiate career. At least one Div III national championship (I thinke more than one but not sure) and a collegiate career completion percentage of 70.4% w 44 TDs.

Wish we still had him.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,449 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    So do I. I was hoping we could keep him around long enough to find out what he might become but that's the problem when you put a QB with some talent on the PS. You can lose 'em too easily. I wish someone would cut him loose and we might be able to re-sign him.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +259 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    He's om the Carolina Panther PS. I think there are limits to how long you can be on the PS in the NFL. Since he was on ours for at least a year, maybe Carolina will have activate him or cut him soon.
  7. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    127ß
    Mettenberger, Grossman, McCoy
  8. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If he is on the Panthers practice squad then there IS a opportunity to steal him back. Depends on just how much Emery & Trestman think of him.
  9. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Unless you are getting a top pick, any low round rookie QB is going to be a project and should not be the backup QB. Sometimes those top picks needs time to develop too.

The difference of the money a vet minimum contract pays compared to a lower round rookie deal is nothing when you add in the value of the draft pick used to get that player. We have quite a few roster spots to fill.

My take is that they are going to bring in a few vet minimum types to get a look. When it comes down to who they pick, Palmer's been hanging out with Cutler's training crew taking pottery classes and bonding with the team in the offseason. Trestman loves that kind of shit. He's got a season already exposed to Trestman's system. He's used to not getting actual reps as a backup QB and just getting by from "mental reps". And, from a distance and in a dark room, Jordan looks like his brother Carson Palmer, a starting NFL QB.

I think the choice is going to be Palmer. Cutler seems to like him, and there certainly won't be a QB controversy from the fans with him as the #2.
  10. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    What I woudnt do to get in between those creamy thighs hahaha

On a real note he did come from a pro system and will succeed somewhere, I can only imagine trestman sprinkling his pixie dust on him.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,449 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    Not the rookie or a kid like Blanchard as the #2. Another guy to begin to develop. The only problem there is that he has talent and on the PS then he can get signed away as long as the other guys put him on their active roster which means Blanchard wouldn't be available until September unless they release him before then.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,449 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    Can't, Tice took the last of it with him to Hotlanta. :smilebig:
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I do like that about him. From a huge program and has had success at every level. He is a true wildcard to me. Yes he didn't blow anyone away at Bama, but then again when you have a revolving door of Heisman winners and finalists in your backfield, what do you really need to showcase a QB for? I'm all but positive that Saben does not ask any tough throws from his qbs when you have HBs consistently putting up 5yac. Hell, id go out on a whim and say lesson 1-3 for his QBs are do not do anything stupid and give the ball away. For this reason I see only good things from McCarron. He has had success follow him and HAS provided when the team called on him to win a game (BCS Game, Lacey ran wild but McCarron delivered on some huge throws when called upon.) He may be a guy to keep an eye on.
  14. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I agree on Freeman and McCoy, I would actually lean more towards McCoy. I think he can do just about anything you ask. Being drafted by the Lowly Browns and then thrown into the fire right away surly hurt his development and made him appear much worse than he actually is IMO. He does have an arm to make all the throws and can escape the pocket and extend plays. Maybe Trestman could revive his career.

As far as the draft, I don't really care where we draft someone. I say this because I trust Trestman and I think he deserves to get his hands on "his guy." Maybe that's not this year, maybe it is but I think that Emery should have Trestman's eval for all qb prospects and if there is a guy he absolutely loves, then if at all possible take him. Trestman has voiced positive opinons of Logan Thomas, and I can see why. Palmer shouldn't just be set in as the backup, not without some kind of quality competition. A backup qb is a pressing need given Cutlers injury history, so we have to assume the high chance that our backup sees some time at some point. All the focus on the defense is justified, but a likely Cutler injury combined with a under preforming backup could negate all this effort to solidify the D.
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,218 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    If the Titans fall in love with a QB high in the draft, they're going to be VERY likely to drop Locker (already saying they will not exercise their 5 year option on him), and he would be our hands down, best option. He's already shown a lot so far, but if he can stay healthy, with a coach like Trestman, he could get trade value quickly.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    And that's what we very well may be looking for in a backup qb for now. An insurance policy and investment all in one. Have a reliable guy in our back pocked in case Cutler goes down and then "flip" him down the line if Cutler is going to stay past the 3rd year option.
  17. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +325 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    But are you saying that if the Bears drafted a low round pick like Logan Thomas, that he should be the #2?
  18. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +325 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    I don't think Locker is going to go anywhere for a veteran minimum deal.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,449 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    Let me point out one thing that may influence what we do as far as a 3rd QB if we draft him. If the kid has some talent that can be developed they almost have to use up a roster spot on him similar to what they did with Washington last year. Put him on the PS and somebody might grab him and put him on their roster. We didn't carry a 3rd QB last year. Palmer wasn't resigned until Cutler was hurt. So what are the chances we carry a 3rd QB this year. Just sayin'.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,449 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    I'd agree with you. We need a guy farther down the ladder of success than that and I'm not sure when all is said and done that Palmer may not be the best guy for the job since he's had a year to learn the offense and looked pretty good in that short stint he had last year.