The Bear's Backup QB

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Apr 1, 2014.

?

Who would you want to compete for backup QB? (multiple picks allowed)

1. Freeman

21.4%
  2. McCoy

28.6%
  3. Kolb

21.4%
  4. Other FA

21.4%
  5. Round 1 pick

7.1%
  6. Round 2 pick

7.1%
  7. Round 3 pick

21.4%
  8. Round 4 pick

21.4%
  9. Round 5 pick

50.0%
  10. Round 6 pick

21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Not the rookie or a kid like Blanchard as the #2. Another guy to begin to develop. The only problem there is that he has talent and on the PS then he can get signed away as long as the other guys put him on their active roster which means Blanchard wouldn't be available until September unless they release him before then.

2. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Can't, Tice took the last of it with him to Hotlanta. :smilebig:

3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

I do like that about him. From a huge program and has had success at every level. He is a true wildcard to me. Yes he didn't blow anyone away at Bama, but then again when you have a revolving door of Heisman winners and finalists in your backfield, what do you really need to showcase a QB for? I'm all but positive that Saben does not ask any tough throws from his qbs when you have HBs consistently putting up 5yac. Hell, id go out on a whim and say lesson 1-3 for his QBs are do not do anything stupid and give the ball away. For this reason I see only good things from McCarron. He has had success follow him and HAS provided when the team called on him to win a game (BCS Game, Lacey ran wild but McCarron delivered on some huge throws when called upon.) He may be a guy to keep an eye on.

4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

I agree on Freeman and McCoy, I would actually lean more towards McCoy. I think he can do just about anything you ask. Being drafted by the Lowly Browns and then thrown into the fire right away surly hurt his development and made him appear much worse than he actually is IMO. He does have an arm to make all the throws and can escape the pocket and extend plays. Maybe Trestman could revive his career.

As far as the draft, I don't really care where we draft someone. I say this because I trust Trestman and I think he deserves to get his hands on "his guy." Maybe that's not this year, maybe it is but I think that Emery should have Trestman's eval for all qb prospects and if there is a guy he absolutely loves, then if at all possible take him. Trestman has voiced positive opinons of Logan Thomas, and I can see why. Palmer shouldn't just be set in as the backup, not without some kind of quality competition. A backup qb is a pressing need given Cutlers injury history, so we have to assume the high chance that our backup sees some time at some point. All the focus on the defense is justified, but a likely Cutler injury combined with a under preforming backup could negate all this effort to solidify the D.

5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

If the Titans fall in love with a QB high in the draft, they're going to be VERY likely to drop Locker (already saying they will not exercise their 5 year option on him), and he would be our hands down, best option. He's already shown a lot so far, but if he can stay healthy, with a coach like Trestman, he could get trade value quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

And that's what we very well may be looking for in a backup qb for now. An insurance policy and investment all in one. Have a reliable guy in our back pocked in case Cutler goes down and then "flip" him down the line if Cutler is going to stay past the 3rd year option.

7. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

But are you saying that if the Bears drafted a low round pick like Logan Thomas, that he should be the #2?

8. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

I don't think Locker is going to go anywhere for a veteran minimum deal.

9. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Let me point out one thing that may influence what we do as far as a 3rd QB if we draft him. If the kid has some talent that can be developed they almost have to use up a roster spot on him similar to what they did with Washington last year. Put him on the PS and somebody might grab him and put him on their roster. We didn't carry a 3rd QB last year. Palmer wasn't resigned until Cutler was hurt. So what are the chances we carry a 3rd QB this year. Just sayin'.

10. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I'd agree with you. We need a guy farther down the ladder of success than that and I'm not sure when all is said and done that Palmer may not be the best guy for the job since he's had a year to learn the offense and looked pretty good in that short stint he had last year.