The Bears should have cut Devin Hester a long time ago (interesting read)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Mar 7, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,389 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,387ß
    FWIW.

• Like Like x 1
  2. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +88 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    I've said it before and I'll say it again when we could have fetched 2 - 1st round picks for him after our superbowl loss I would have traded him right on the spot
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just one other guy with a story to write who decided to come up with this slant on it. He can criticize Hester the WR all he wants yet only part of that was Hester's fault. But he can't ever criticize him as the greatest return man in NFL history. Most return men don't even 7 TDs in their entire career so nailing him to the cross for only getting 7 in the last six seasons is a cheap shot. He's also had a number of them called back or ended just shy of a score and through most of those 6 years they kept trying to make #1 WR out of him.

The bottom line is for $840k in cash and only a $570k cap hit at the very least that option should have been given him. So instead of a future HOF'er we get a 175lb runt out of Canada whose never played on an NFL field. What are the chances he'll do much more than just return kickoffs and punts too? Hester did exactly what he was asked of him last year and did it well yet he's being replaced by a hoser from the CFL whose even less likely to ever be a WR in the NFL. But we're not just getting Lovies guys asap are we? Hahaha
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +296 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    I would rather have the storied history with him than the two first-round picks, just kidding, a little.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    And if you'd have done that you'd have been lynched by 1000 Bears fans on the spot. No judge, no trial, no jury, just a hemp necklace. And whoever claimed we could have gotten two 1st round picks for him. That's joke right? He's not a starting QB with a Pro Bowl selection under his belt. That's nothing more than a pipe dream. Even getting one 1st round pick would have been tough.
  6. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +765 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    I'll be very interested to see what kind of interest Devin gets and what kind of contract someone gives him. Like I said before, I believe the loyalty from the team was shown in bringing him back last year to finish out his contract. He made $3 mil last year as a return man and they could have saved almost $2 mil by cutting him then. Now to suggest they are disloyal by NOT signing him to yet another contract at 31 years old when they need every dollar for that Defense, well, I just think it's not seeing the big picture. Devin had 8 great years here and we all love the guy, but speed and quickness are two of the first things to go with age, and those are really the only things Devin brought to the table. He still has gas in the tank, but even at the vet minimum (which Devin may have already refused for all we know), that's almost $1 mil. I'm just saying, I'm glad he was able to come back last year, but at some point the party is over and you can't blame the host for everything.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,171 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,103ß
    Who is giving up two 1's for hester? Nobody. Not then and certainly not now.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    OK lets look at what was and what is now.

Last year he was paid $2.1 mil not $3mil. His cap number was $2.94 mil which included the balance of his signing bonus but yes they could have released him and saved $2.1 mil. But with Manning and Knox no longer around who would be the return man? Weems??? That guy is nothing but a STeams coverage guy and he cost them $1.4 mil last year and produced what? A dozen STeams tackles and nary a point. I'd have cut Weems and used the savings towards Hester but no, Weems is Emery's boy and Hester isn't. Emery still hasn't released Weems and yet his 2014 cap hit is $1.6 mil and they save $1.1 mil if they release him. Emery could have released Weems, offered Hester a vet minimum with a cap cost of $570k and still had cap space for one more of his "one year wonder" deals for the same $570k cap hit all with money saved by releasing Weems.

So just how did this move save any money for the defense? Weems costs him more than Hester would have if he'd have taken that offer. Weems doesn't play defense and he never lines up at WR so how is he any different than Hester with the exception of the fact that Hester is far more valuable as a return threat. He's scores points and creates good field position but......he's not Emery's man and Weems is. Do you guys still not see the pattern I'm trying to point out. It couldn't be any more obvious than this could it?

Now the rest. Emery signed this kid Williams to a three year deal and he's yet to even play one down of NFL football. He's Hesters replacement and his cap cost this year is $520k. Just $50k less than Hester would have cost them. So just how much D is $50k more in cap space gonna buy you? For a measly $50k Phil Emery let the greatest return man in NFL history walk and never even gave him the opportunity to compete for his job this summer and a shot at breaking the record for return TDs as a Bear. Bears fans should be as upset as Urlacher was but they're to busy to look at the facts. Instead it just easier to go on hating Urlacher for telling the truth again!

Does any of this ever hit home to Bears fans or would they all rather just not know the rest of the story and play ostrich? I take the time to check this shit out and I present what, to the best of my ability, I think is a fair representation of the facts. All the facts as I understand them. So tell me again that I'm wrong about Emery getting rid of the Lovie Lovers as fast as he can. If he's not doing that then either he lacks basic math skills and financial common sense (and he has Cliff Stein for that anyway) or he's not anywhere near as good a GM as he's like us to believe and not exactly a man vet players, or Bear fans for that, matter should put much trust in.

So there you go. That's all of it that I can be certain of based on the info I have. What say you now guys?
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Yeah, that's what I wanted to know. If that was the case we could have waited another year and traded him for Cutler.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,171 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,103ß
    Weems is more than just a special teams coverage guy. In fact he has returned kicks for over 1000 yards twice in his career...that would be one more time than mr. hester has done it in his career. So unlike Hester, Weems contributes on coverage teams and can return kicks, thus making him more valuable.
  11. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +477 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    204ß
    This article is garbage. They are trying to attribute Hester's success to beginner's luck? Why not start talking about moxie and having that miraculous quality only known to fools with a poor grasp of football as "It".

We had Dave Toub and Hester in his prime early. Most importantly, we still had the wedge block available to us. If the NFL had not become concussion concerned, Hester and Toub would have destroyed the record.

Hester should go to KC and team back up with Toub for his last year.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    remember he also threatened to retire when they fired the lovie.
  13. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +88 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    Its been said many times that he could have fetched it, 670, espn, right after the superbowl I remember hearing there was a team willing to give it to us.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Ah this is all bullshit and you know it. This is about as weak as it gets. Devin Hester is one TD away from the all time record for TD returns, he has one in a SB that isn't counted, and probably close to a half dozen near TDs or ones called back by a penalty including one this past season that would have broken the record. He's also more than likely to be the ONLY player ever elected to the HOF based solely on that. It sure as hell isn't his career as a WR that'll do it. He may get penalized for that. In another year Weems will be an NFL afterthought.

In two seasons with the Bears Weems has caught all of three passes for 35 yards. So that's his total offensive contribution. In two years he's returned exactly one punt for zero yards. He's also returned 18 kick offs for a grand total of 288 yards (avg. 16.0 yds per). Hell Hester had almost that many (249yds) in just one game this past year. In his entire career Weems has exactly 2 TDs on returns (1 PR/1KOR)......2! Hester has 18, 19 if you count the Super Bowl, and 20 if you count the FG return against the Giants. The two years that Weems did return kicks for over 1000 yds were in 2009 and 2010 (3 and 4 years ago) before they moved the spot up. This past year Hester had 1436 with the spot moved up.

If were gonna look at topic of yardage we can compare that too. In his career Weems has 3999 and Hester has over 8700 yards, more than double and 19 regular season TD returns vs 2. Hester also has over 2500 more yards receiving and 12 more TDs as a WR than Weems has so that only creates even more of a difference between the two. And you want to compare Weems career to Hesters. Come on man. Not even close.

For all intents and purposes Eric Weems is a STeams coverage guy only and not even the top guy on the team at that. I'll concede him a couple dozen tackles or so in the two years he's been here and that's about it. For this Emery is paying him $4.24 mil over three years!!!! Talk about guys who eat up cap space with little production this guy probably takes first place. Second might be Bush and he's safe so far too as far as we know but not a part of this debate. There probably isn't another guy on this team whose provided less ROI than Weems has and yet he's still here despite the fact that he's taking up enough cap space to sign a guy like D.J. Williams to play MLB which we need far more than the 10 of 12 STeams tackles Weems will get this year.

Brother this Weems vs Hester thing shouldn't even be a topic for debate. It's like comparing Rex Grossman to Dan Marino and saying Grossman was better because he played in a Super Bowl and Marino never did. End of story. :cheers:
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,801 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,000ß
    0% chance the Bears could have ever gotten 1 let alone 2 first round picks. Even after the SB year. He was a positionaless KR/PR. 2nd or 3rd at most.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Yeah, ya' HEAR a lot of things out of the media but that doesn't always make them true. It's real easy to SAY things but it's actually making the deal and sticking to it that counts and it never did so we'll never know.
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,706 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    801ß
    I'd say this decision definitely had to do with scarcity of positions on a 53 man roster(you could get another guy just as effective((due to age, change in rules, money,and can effectively play special teams into a normal roster spot)) than anything else. Players say dumb things all the time, and still don't get cut, so it's not fair to say that is what happened without definitive proof. I hate this decision more than any other decisions to move on from Hester, but the decision effectively means that it was time to move on.

To re-touch on the last topic, I think it's intellectually dishonest for Bears fans if they criticize moves like this as signs that "Emery is an (insert pejorative)" when, within one offseason, he acquired the two most talented WRs, and the following season gave us the best TE since Ditka and gave us the most cost-effective offensive line in the NFL.

To be even more succinct: while it sucks emotionally, logically we can not criticize the move in such a way as to accuse Emery of displaying a pattern of mismanagement with the talent.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,171 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,103ß
    I'm not comparing anybodies career. All I'm stating is that Weems is perfectly capable of returning kicks, he demonstrated that by the fact he's returned kicks for over 1000 yards twice in his career, and his career averages, which you chose to leave out are VERY close to Hesters(24.3 per attempt for Weem, 24.8 for Hester on Kick offs, 10.4 for Weems, 12.3 for Hester on Punts). Obviously in the last couple of years Hester will have more yards than him....HE WAS OUR KICK RETURNER! THAT WAS HIS LONE JOB ON THIS TEAM.

The point is Weems currently does more for this team than Hester does. Thats not up for debate. Yes, Hester is a dynamic return man, but thats it. If I'm going to pay a guy 1.5 mill I want him to do more than one thing. Having said that, he's probably next to get the axe. The point remains...paying a guy 1 million plus to ONLY DO 1 THING ON YOUR TEAM is ridiculous when you're team isn't a kick returner away from a Super Bowl.
  19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,706 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    801ß
    I think a team like the 2007 Browns would have if they had already had a decent quarterback (they had two 1st round picks, but wasted the #22 on Brady Quinn), because they had one of the best offenses in the league that year.

After that, no way in hell. I could still see a #2 in 2008 or 2009, but no way in hell was he going to fetch anything above a 3rd for the rest of his career.
  20. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,367 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    394ß
    Since it's probably water under the bridge now with Hester the next thing imo to keep an eye on is DeCamillis. Had his guy at punter with Pudless who crapped out. But now will probably have some material to develop some ST talent. I give him a longer leash than Mel but at least I can see a sign of life or two. Can't afford to get a primary ST guy in the draft so I hope we get a guy in FA.