The Bears will NOT be using the Read Option, per Cutler and Trestman

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    We told you Wednesday morning about the possibility of quarterback Jay Cutler and the Chicago Bears running the read-option.

On Wednesday afternoon, Cuter was asked how much read-option he'll be running in 2013.

Camp coverage on NFL Network
    [​IMG]
    Watch "Inside Training Camp" this week from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET onNFL Network.

ยป Complete training camp coverage
    "None," he responded matter-of-factly, per CSNChicago.com.

Coach Marc Trestman reiterated that sum.

"No, we're not going that way with this offense," Trestman said.

However, Trestman then said the Bears could run read-option if they wanted to.

"The thing about Jay on a read-option, Jay knows how to get down," Trestman said about Cutler's ability to slide or get out of bounds. "Jay knows how to play the position when he's running out on the field."

Of course, consciously putting Cutler in a position of peril is a questionable move. We've seen how well the Bears' offense has performed without their starter the past several seasons.

Offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer played it more close to the vest, saying he would "never like to divulge" schemes.

To recap: The Bears have the building blocks to run the read-option. But they won't be running read-option. But they could run read-option. But they wouldn't tell us if they planned to run read-option.

We're glad it's all clear.

2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

I think this SHOULD go in the other thread, but this will probably be posted again, anyway.

Anyhoo, I think this writer is digging for something that just isn't there...

3. JJ-30

JJ-30
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Isn't that what writers do best.

• Like Like x 1
  4. billatter

billatter
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Cutler may not be running the read-option, but maybe someone else? Trestman is used to having a package of plays for the backup qb. Just saying . . .

• Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

That was more my thinking. Ya' know it's the hot thing right now because of the few who are using it successfully but soon defenses will catch on it and maybe even have special packages to defend it where smaller speedier players are used in lieu of bigger linemen.

McCown is a very mobile QB and you could always design some option read stuff for him to run if Cutler goes down but conventional wisdom says we don't run it with Cutler behind Center.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

I'm gonna give Trestman the benefit of the doubt, but I'm skeptical of a "backup QB" package being used even 2-3 plays a game, because it's gonna be an immediate tip off to the defense like the wildcat (albeit, more difficult to defend), and puts our backup in harms way for a couple of extra yards a drive/game, whatever.

7. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I don't mean bringing in McCown or Blanchard to run when Cutler is playing. I'm thinking if they put it in at all that arrow goes in the quiver for use if Cutler is injured and one of the backups is starting. It's part of the sub QB package.

8. billatter

billatter
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

No development is without its negatives, but the backup qb package does have a few things going for it. Apart from the fact that it can get short yardage first downs and TDs, it also gets the backup qb on the field in meaningful reps. The backup is therefore more prepared to take over if the starter goes down. In Cutler's case, it also saves him from further abuse. We've all seen a backup take over with minimal playing time and the poor guy just gets his butt handed to him. If the backup qb gets in five to ten plays a game, the rest of the O gets to know him and he gets comfortable under centre. So when the big man does go down, he stands a chance of competently leading the team.

Done right, it creates problems for the D, especially if the backup has a different style or skill set. The D has to game plan for two qbs with different skill sets. While the backup is out there, the starter gets some time to sit back and watch what the D is doing -- valuable when the game isn't going well. When the pattern of using the backup this way is established, a starter having a bad game can be pulled for a few plays without it looking bad and putting egos out of joint.

The biggest problem is getting the HC to use it once the backup package has been put together. The starter gets the team to the five and stalls so now it should be time for the backup to go in to punch it over the line -- but it takes cojones on the part of the coaching staff to actually do it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Billatter said:
    This. Deception: good. Making the other team have to work harder to win: Good. I am in favor of these things....

10. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance
    Expand Collapse

The thing is that with the read option...you actually need someone whose played in. Its not that easy to teach QBs that don't have experience in it. I personally don't think Cutler has the mind or ability to execute the read option. He plays poorly under pressure and guys get up in your face quick when you run the read option.

• Like Like x 1