The Bears will NOT be using the Read Option, per Cutler and Trestman

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,244 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    136ß
    We told you Wednesday morning about the possibility of quarterback Jay Cutler and the Chicago Bears running the read-option.

On Wednesday afternoon, Cuter was asked how much read-option he'll be running in 2013.

Camp coverage on NFL Network
    [​IMG]
    Watch "Inside Training Camp" this week from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET onNFL Network.

» Complete training camp coverage
    "None," he responded matter-of-factly, per CSNChicago.com.

Coach Marc Trestman reiterated that sum.

"No, we're not going that way with this offense," Trestman said.

However, Trestman then said the Bears could run read-option if they wanted to.

"The thing about Jay on a read-option, Jay knows how to get down," Trestman said about Cutler's ability to slide or get out of bounds. "Jay knows how to play the position when he's running out on the field."

Of course, consciously putting Cutler in a position of peril is a questionable move. We've seen how well the Bears' offense has performed without their starter the past several seasons.

Offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer played it more close to the vest, saying he would "never like to divulge" schemes.

To recap: The Bears have the building blocks to run the read-option. But they won't be running read-option. But they could run read-option. But they wouldn't tell us if they planned to run read-option.

We're glad it's all clear.
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,244 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    136ß
    I think this SHOULD go in the other thread, but this will probably be posted again, anyway.

Anyhoo, I think this writer is digging for something that just isn't there...
  3. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Isn't that what writers do best.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Cutler may not be running the read-option, but maybe someone else? Trestman is used to having a package of plays for the backup qb. Just saying . . .
    • Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    680ß
    That was more my thinking. Ya' know it's the hot thing right now because of the few who are using it successfully but soon defenses will catch on it and maybe even have special packages to defend it where smaller speedier players are used in lieu of bigger linemen.

McCown is a very mobile QB and you could always design some option read stuff for him to run if Cutler goes down but conventional wisdom says we don't run it with Cutler behind Center.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,244 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    136ß
    I'm gonna give Trestman the benefit of the doubt, but I'm skeptical of a "backup QB" package being used even 2-3 plays a game, because it's gonna be an immediate tip off to the defense like the wildcat (albeit, more difficult to defend), and puts our backup in harms way for a couple of extra yards a drive/game, whatever.
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    680ß
    I don't mean bringing in McCown or Blanchard to run when Cutler is playing. I'm thinking if they put it in at all that arrow goes in the quiver for use if Cutler is injured and one of the backups is starting. It's part of the sub QB package.
  8. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    No development is without its negatives, but the backup qb package does have a few things going for it. Apart from the fact that it can get short yardage first downs and TDs, it also gets the backup qb on the field in meaningful reps. The backup is therefore more prepared to take over if the starter goes down. In Cutler's case, it also saves him from further abuse. We've all seen a backup take over with minimal playing time and the poor guy just gets his butt handed to him. If the backup qb gets in five to ten plays a game, the rest of the O gets to know him and he gets comfortable under centre. So when the big man does go down, he stands a chance of competently leading the team.

Done right, it creates problems for the D, especially if the backup has a different style or skill set. The D has to game plan for two qbs with different skill sets. While the backup is out there, the starter gets some time to sit back and watch what the D is doing -- valuable when the game isn't going well. When the pattern of using the backup this way is established, a starter having a bad game can be pulled for a few plays without it looking bad and putting egos out of joint.

The biggest problem is getting the HC to use it once the backup package has been put together. The starter gets the team to the five and stalls so now it should be time for the backup to go in to punch it over the line -- but it takes cojones on the part of the coaching staff to actually do it.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Rookie

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Billatter said:
    This. Deception: good. Making the other team have to work harder to win: Good. I am in favor of these things....
  10. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The thing is that with the read option...you actually need someone whose played in. Its not that easy to teach QBs that don't have experience in it. I personally don't think Cutler has the mind or ability to execute the read option. He plays poorly under pressure and guys get up in your face quick when you run the read option.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    I get it. They could be lying. Or they could be lying about lying.....
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,006 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    225ß
    disinformation, youre doing it right.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,244 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    136ß
    You're making it sound like he plays horribly every game when he's under pressure. I think the Jets game in 2010 is the perfect example of that NOT being true at all.
  14. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Do you realize that was a lifetime ago? Cutler can't handle the pressure against good teams. And we have plenty them on the schedule. Not crap teams or below .500 teams that he beats on. GOOD TEAMS. And now let's put him in a higher pressure situation by getting him to run the read option...something he knew nothing about in college?
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,244 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    136ß
    I'm not going to engage you in discussion, because you never come from a rational standpoint. Yes, he had some bad games last year, but you are so hyperbolic, that you're implying he didn't have a single good game against a good defense.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,006 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    225ß
    High fived for proper usage of "Hyperbolic." nice.
  17. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Henry I don't blame you for not having the courage to engage me in these discussions about Cutler. I already posted the facts. Cutler has a pathetic .340 winning pct against teams above .500 going back to his DEN days. Most Bears fans don't like FACTS. They just want to genuflect before the alter of Jay Cutler. Most are in denial. Its ok man. His cult following is a bit comical though.
  18. lazar

lazar Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You can't engage in a discussion whith someone who is a hater. Haters don't care about facts, they care about facts that fit they're agenda. As such opinion that thay have is worthless. What winning pct does Matt Forte have? Or Brandon Marshall, or the defense? Brandon Marshall was never in the playoffs, is he a loser? There was a time when Lovie and Rex were regularly winning against Mike McCarthy and Favre. Was Lovie a better coach at the time and Rex a better qb? No, they were just part of a superior team, and when you have a better team usually you win. Bears as a team have a pathetic winning pct against the so called good teams becouse they were constantly overmatched. They were overmatched last year, the year before and for the last couple of decades basically. That's why they lose, and that's why in the last two years since Emery came there was such a massive change in offensive personnel. Bears needed significant talent upgrade, coaching upgrade and most importantly philosophy change to compete and win against good teams. Those good teams are good becouse they have quality on both sides, defense and offense something that Bears up to now didin't have. When you look blindly at stats without looking at all other factors, only thing that you will learn from it is what you want to learn. So from the stats you see that Cutler has a great record against sub .500 and not so good against those who are above. From that conclusion is that he's beating on the bad ones and can't play against the good ones. Problem with this is that he's not really putting great numbers against the bad ones either, in fact our offense struggles big time no matter who they play becouse of lack of talent. Only difference is that they can somehow survive against the bad or mediocre ones becouse as a team they are simply better then them. So Cutler is not really dominating against any opponent, and that's should give a pouse for tought. Is he really that bad? When you have guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Blain Gabbert and a lot of really bad qb with better passing stats then I guess that must mean that Cutler is beyond awful as a qb. I mean sexy Rexy who was basically imobile in the year Bears went to superbowl, and who literally shit he's pants when he saw a defensive player coming his way led the offense to 15 place finish if I recall. So if we look at the stats Cutler is terrible. Worse then Rex, Gabbert, Weeden, Kolb and pretty much any other qb in the league... that if we look a the stats. Now the so called experts, and everybody knows how they just love Jay never really put him any worse then 15 spot or so on they're rankigs. In all his years as a bear he was always ranked somewhere from 8 - 15 spot. On the other hand our offensive line and receivers group were always ranked in the bottom five. Does Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Ryan or any other qb who Cutler should be beating or have similar stats have that bad supporting cast? I don't think so, in fact every one of them has a top ten group of at least one of those things. By the way in the last 3 years Packers pass protection was ranked 15, 11, 11 by pro football focus, Bears 32, 31, 28. So as we can see it's not really true that Rodgers has a bad online... off course we can just ignore those numbers becouse it doesn't fit the narative. It would be one thing if Bears were at least mediocre on offense or in passing stats, then you could say well the talent is not so bad so maybe the qb is the problem. But when you're at the bottom year after year in both offense and passing stats, and the talent that surrounds the qb is clearly bad then you should give you're qb a chance, and not come to any definitive conclusions until you see him play with better supporting cast. And one more thing that people should think about. When Bears play the good teams it's not only that they lose, it's that almost always they lose the same way. Our offense looks the same always: confused, overwhelmed, dominated in the trenches, receivers nonexistant and shut down completely (last year against Packers in the first game our best receiver was Forte, in the second except Marshall none other reciever had a catch! Here also that myth that Cutler somehow for the whole season was ignoring others and throwing only to Marshall is looking pretty weak to me, he obviously did throw to others in those two games becouse Marshall was taken out of the game and the result was that no other receiver could do shit) and lastly with coordinators that literaly look like they've stepped on the football field for the first time in their life.

As for the cult following, it is comical but then being a homer of your team or a player in it is understandable. What is truly pathetic is hating a person who you don't know, going to great lenghts to convince yourself that he is everything bad so you can feed your hate and then trying to put it as objective opinion. That's beyond pathetic. And finaly you don't need courage to engage in discussions with completaly unobjective person, you need one to not. Obviously I hope that I'll find that courage.

By the way, hi to everyone! I'm from one really small country in Europe but a big Bears fan.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
  20. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,006 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    225ß
    Careful now...this is not the place for personal attacks. If you disagree with his opinion, say so, and explain why. There is no reason to throw insults around.