The defense wasn't THAT bad.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 17, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,440 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    4,014ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Rewatching the game. Our defense wasn't that bad. The first 14 points the Vikes scored had nothing to do with their offense. Cutty gave 'em 7 on the fumble. Special teams gave up 7 on the opening kickoff.

The defense held the Vikes scoreless until 20 seconds left in the first half. The defense held the Vikes to 16 points for the ENTIRE GAME. So, it's not like the defense "fell apart" on Sunday.

There are, unquestionably, things to tweak, improve and work on, on our defense. But they put some pretty intense heat on Ponder, and they kept future Hall of Famer, Adrian Peterson, under control too. A "sack count" doesn't tell the entire story of a Dline's efficiency. The pass rush was directly responsible for turnovers.....that's a huge part of the equation too. Not just sack counts.

If you have the game recorded, watch it again. I started out the evening thinking I'd see a mess on defense. Instead, it looks like a decent defense that still needs a bit of tweeking. Pep needs to get healthy. Oh, and one other thing. Melton was getting double and on one play triple teamed. He was wreaking havoc with the interior of the OL & the pocket. I'll give him a "pass" on not getting any sacks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +782 / 7 / -26
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    That's all fine and dandy except that the other teams in our division have much better QB's and receivers than the Vikings. That's why the pass rush must improve -- a lot and soon. The Steelers game will be a good test. BigBen must go down -- hard and often.

3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,440 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    4,014ß
    The defense can and will get better, but the effort against the Vikes wasn't shabby by any means. Our "D" has gone against two of the better offensive lines in the NFL. Both were pre-season top-10 rated OL's (LINK), and both are now top-10 OL's in not giving up sacks/QB-hits (LINK). Our defense gave up 16 points - and this is to a team with the best RB in the NFL in AP.

We're going to be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +400 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    JustAnotherBearsFan, the defense didn't give up that many points against he Vikes (obviously, I am excluding the kickoff return and the td off of cutler's fumble), and it did seem to stiffen up in the red zone to limit Minny to fgs....HOWEVER, as Biggs pointed out, we still gave up WAY too many 3rd down conversions, and our pass rush was nonexistent yet again. Hell the ONLY sack we had was a coverage sack, where Ponder had to hold the ball for 4.3 seconds. Those problems must be fixed if we are to have a chance in hell of doing anything special this year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +73 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    DL still had a bad game. Can't happen again. We pay lots of money to Melton and Peppers

6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,257 / 9 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,965ß
    The defense is not "bad" in general terms, comparing it against other teams.

however...if you are using the 2012 Bears Defense as a measuring stick, then yes...against that, they ARE bad. And seeing as how we pretty much have the same exact players, then this means the blame is on Tucker and his play calling (meaning it is entirely fixable, we do not have to rely on new players).

They are good at stopping the run, but they are failing against the pass. They are failing against the pass because they are giving up too many BIG plays, and they are not getting enough pressure on the QBs. Our D was built as a prototypical Cover-2 D, so while they played that scheme under Lovie, they did well, and very rarely gave up big plays (the "bend but dont break" mantra). Now though...if Tucker is trying to change it up, then it is costing us because of those big plays.

Another big factor...DL. For whatever reason, the DL is suspiciously absent. Its as if Emery has sucked all the life and talent out of them like some mad scientist, and injected right into our OL. Maybe its because Peppers is still sick, or maybe Melton simply had a freak season like Mark Anderson had that one year. Difficult to say at this point. In any case, the DL NEEDS to step it up for this Defense to work. They get a pass for now because we played a mediocre and shitty QB so far, and Roflberger doesnt have the offense like he used to, but they are going to need to step it up when we start playing better QBs

7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,415 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,900ß
    Didn't we all see/know this was going to happen though? There was going to be a falling off of the D a little.

The fact that the Det Lions have a stout DL and also had problems getting to Ponder says wonders about that MInny OL, Cincy's OL is good and Dalton led all qb's in getting rid of the ball the quickest.

This is still a bend but don't break D, it's still a D that is frustrating in that if they don't get a TO the other team just moves the ball at will on them. Even last year the D never seemed to be able to get off the field. I think the DL will improves over the next few weeks as we face weaker OL's and as Peppers and Melton get into playing shape. Not to mention DJ Williams. I think Jimmors makes a valid point, Tucker adding some blitz's is opening holes that normally wouldn't be found in Lovie's cover 2.

• Like Like x 1
  8. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    222ß
    Look at sack tallies vs. the standings and there doesn't seem to be much correlation between the two. As an example, last year Cleveland finished ahead of the the Ravens and the Patsies in the sacks ranking. I don't get stressed over the lack of sacks. Turnovers are another matter. If a defence can generate turnovers, that can have more of an influence on where the team lies in the standings. I'd be more concerned if the D had zero turnovers to its credit.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,257 / 9 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,965ß
    I dont think we expected the D to fall off THIS quickly though. but yes, i was one of the people saying we should expect to lose our Defensive prowess over time, NFL is pretty much a zero sum game, if you focus more on rebuilding your offense (like Emery did), then it will end up costing you at the expense of your defense.

In any case...if we can see improvement from the DL, i think that will go a long way in solving our problems on D.

10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,440 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    4,014ß
    I guess I just saw the game differently than most of you. I would have agreed more with the doomsday stuff prior to rewatching the game last night. But watching the game a second time (focusing on our defense) I just saw a defense that:

1. Held the opponent scoreless until there was 20 seconds left in the first half.

2. Held them to a total of 16 points for the game.

3. Kept the best RB in the NFL from scoring, and pretty much neutered him all game long.

4. Kept a lot of pressure on the QB, forcing turnovers as a direct result. Yes they had only 1 sack, but there was pretty decent pressure on the QB.

I think it's important to note that the main focus against the Vikings was to limit Adrian Peterson. The Bears knew Ponder wasn't going to beat us with the passing game. The #1 focus was to stop AP, and we did a nice job of limiting his damage.

• Like Like x 2