The defense wasn't THAT bad.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 17, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,654 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,155ß
    Rewatching the game. Our defense wasn't that bad. The first 14 points the Vikes scored had nothing to do with their offense. Cutty gave 'em 7 on the fumble. Special teams gave up 7 on the opening kickoff.

The defense held the Vikes scoreless until 20 seconds left in the first half. The defense held the Vikes to 16 points for the ENTIRE GAME. So, it's not like the defense "fell apart" on Sunday.

There are, unquestionably, things to tweak, improve and work on, on our defense. But they put some pretty intense heat on Ponder, and they kept future Hall of Famer, Adrian Peterson, under control too. A "sack count" doesn't tell the entire story of a Dline's efficiency. The pass rush was directly responsible for turnovers.....that's a huge part of the equation too. Not just sack counts.

If you have the game recorded, watch it again. I started out the evening thinking I'd see a mess on defense. Instead, it looks like a decent defense that still needs a bit of tweeking. Pep needs to get healthy. Oh, and one other thing. Melton was getting double and on one play triple teamed. He was wreaking havoc with the interior of the OL & the pocket. I'll give him a "pass" on not getting any sacks.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +705 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    That's all fine and dandy except that the other teams in our division have much better QB's and receivers than the Vikings. That's why the pass rush must improve -- a lot and soon. The Steelers game will be a good test. BigBen must go down -- hard and often.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,654 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,155ß
    The defense can and will get better, but the effort against the Vikes wasn't shabby by any means. Our "D" has gone against two of the better offensive lines in the NFL. Both were pre-season top-10 rated OL's (LINK), and both are now top-10 OL's in not giving up sacks/QB-hits (LINK). Our defense gave up 16 points - and this is to a team with the best RB in the NFL in AP.

We're going to be fine.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    JustAnotherBearsFan, the defense didn't give up that many points against he Vikes (obviously, I am excluding the kickoff return and the td off of cutler's fumble), and it did seem to stiffen up in the red zone to limit Minny to fgs....HOWEVER, as Biggs pointed out, we still gave up WAY too many 3rd down conversions, and our pass rush was nonexistent yet again. Hell the ONLY sack we had was a coverage sack, where Ponder had to hold the ball for 4.3 seconds. Those problems must be fixed if we are to have a chance in hell of doing anything special this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    DL still had a bad game. Can't happen again. We pay lots of money to Melton and Peppers
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    The defense is not "bad" in general terms, comparing it against other teams.

however...if you are using the 2012 Bears Defense as a measuring stick, then yes...against that, they ARE bad. And seeing as how we pretty much have the same exact players, then this means the blame is on Tucker and his play calling (meaning it is entirely fixable, we do not have to rely on new players).

They are good at stopping the run, but they are failing against the pass. They are failing against the pass because they are giving up too many BIG plays, and they are not getting enough pressure on the QBs. Our D was built as a prototypical Cover-2 D, so while they played that scheme under Lovie, they did well, and very rarely gave up big plays (the "bend but dont break" mantra). Now though...if Tucker is trying to change it up, then it is costing us because of those big plays.

Another big factor...DL. For whatever reason, the DL is suspiciously absent. Its as if Emery has sucked all the life and talent out of them like some mad scientist, and injected right into our OL. Maybe its because Peppers is still sick, or maybe Melton simply had a freak season like Mark Anderson had that one year. Difficult to say at this point. In any case, the DL NEEDS to step it up for this Defense to work. They get a pass for now because we played a mediocre and shitty QB so far, and Roflberger doesnt have the offense like he used to, but they are going to need to step it up when we start playing better QBs
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,276 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,439ß
    Didn't we all see/know this was going to happen though? There was going to be a falling off of the D a little.

The fact that the Det Lions have a stout DL and also had problems getting to Ponder says wonders about that MInny OL, Cincy's OL is good and Dalton led all qb's in getting rid of the ball the quickest.

This is still a bend but don't break D, it's still a D that is frustrating in that if they don't get a TO the other team just moves the ball at will on them. Even last year the D never seemed to be able to get off the field. I think the DL will improves over the next few weeks as we face weaker OL's and as Peppers and Melton get into playing shape. Not to mention DJ Williams. I think Jimmors makes a valid point, Tucker adding some blitz's is opening holes that normally wouldn't be found in Lovie's cover 2.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    Look at sack tallies vs. the standings and there doesn't seem to be much correlation between the two. As an example, last year Cleveland finished ahead of the the Ravens and the Patsies in the sacks ranking. I don't get stressed over the lack of sacks. Turnovers are another matter. If a defence can generate turnovers, that can have more of an influence on where the team lies in the standings. I'd be more concerned if the D had zero turnovers to its credit.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    I dont think we expected the D to fall off THIS quickly though. but yes, i was one of the people saying we should expect to lose our Defensive prowess over time, NFL is pretty much a zero sum game, if you focus more on rebuilding your offense (like Emery did), then it will end up costing you at the expense of your defense.

In any case...if we can see improvement from the DL, i think that will go a long way in solving our problems on D.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,654 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,155ß
    I guess I just saw the game differently than most of you. I would have agreed more with the doomsday stuff prior to rewatching the game last night. But watching the game a second time (focusing on our defense) I just saw a defense that:

1. Held the opponent scoreless until there was 20 seconds left in the first half.

2. Held them to a total of 16 points for the game.

3. Kept the best RB in the NFL from scoring, and pretty much neutered him all game long.

4. Kept a lot of pressure on the QB, forcing turnovers as a direct result. Yes they had only 1 sack, but there was pretty decent pressure on the QB.

I think it's important to note that the main focus against the Vikings was to limit Adrian Peterson. The Bears knew Ponder wasn't going to beat us with the passing game. The #1 focus was to stop AP, and we did a nice job of limiting his damage.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Both Emery and Trestman seem to have been pretty open and honest about most things, so far. I am willing to believe the statements about Peppers being really sick last week. Hopefully he will be more active this week.

Melton is a different story. It looks like he had a pretty bad concussion. I have been trying to find a detailed description of the league's concussion protocol but I can't. From what I did find it looks like a player's day do day activities are strictly regulated and controlled by the doctors. A player has to engage in no activity until he is symptom free. Then the player is reevaluated after each workout session afterwards. If any symptoms appear, they play cannot work out at all until he is symptom free.

Did Melton sit out a week or two with no ability to even do any cardio or weights? How fast was he able to return to a full practice schedule? If he lost 3+ weeks of conditioning, I wonder how long before he will be a full speed.

Our DL may take another week or two before getting up to speed.
  12. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Man Slack comes back not 100 % he's a hero LMAO Peps n Melton both sat out most of TC as well as Peppers being sick all last week and Bears D sucks And there are rumored reports that he still not right form his hammy alot of things to considered Its a brand new regime

To all those bashing the NEW D

What about those 5 games last season the five games left on the field ,.... Texans, Seahawks, Minny at Minny, Packers here & there

You can't see the Bears improving upon ANY of these games ???

I know I can and do... They just proved it

The Vikings game so eerily reminded of the Seahawks game of last season WHERE the D did let the Hags back into the game and ultimately losing in OT,... AT HOME

Difference in the Vikings Game were TOs allowing them to stay close ,...all the while and the offense remained poised in keeping them in the game,..along with D stops as well ,... after all 16 pts were only allowed by the D
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,654 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,155ß
    Melton was drawing double teams in the Viking game, and on at least one play he was triple teamed. He still was crushing the pocket pretty well and disrupting Ponder, and helping keep Adrian Peterson from beating us with a big day running.

I love to see sacks like everyone else, but it's not the end-all metric of a DL's production. You guys understand that, right?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

THIS is something I think the Queens coaching staff game planned around with regards to Ponder's speed.

Some thing I do hope the Bears do step on with the likes of other slippery eels down the road
  15. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I was seeing the pocket collapsing a couple times myself. I wasn't saying that Melton is currently an invalid, just that it may take another week or two for him to be able to play the whole game at a high level.

You are right about sacks as a misleading stat. But so far opposing QB's has been able to play in a pretty clean pocket. if we were disrupting the pocket and forcing opposing QB's to make plays on the move most of the time, I would feel much better.
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,654 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,155ß
    I agree with you 100%. And I also agree with everyone that the defense and the DL need to continue to get better - just like the offense, Cutler, the Special Teams unit etc. The Bears are definitely a "work in progress" at this point. No question there.

But it isn't like the sky is falling on defense.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    meh, if the DL doesn't vastly improve upon its performance thus far, it is certainly going to feel as if the "sky is falling" when Brees, Rodgers, Stafford and Eli get a hold of this defense.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,654 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,155ß
    Yeah, but those teams have their issues too at this point. The Saints are like us (unbeaten) but they don't look like a well-oiled machine at this point. Eli's defense has struggled more than ours. Detroit looks like Detroit to me again this year (poor saps should be 0-2 at this point, IMHO), and the Packers have a win over a crappy Redskin team, and a defense ranked 28th in the entire NFL right now.

I just think it's too early to worry very much about our team. It's a "work in progress" for sure. But it is very reasonable to expect that it will improve.
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,323 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    366ß
    JABF, I agree with your points. There's more to it than sacks and we have faced two of the best OLs in the NFL with two of our key DL guys not 100% yet. That's why I'm not in panic mode about the lack of pass rush yet. But.....we have only a week or two left to get this remedied. We aren't going to beat teams like NO, GB, and Baltimore if the QB has lots of time to throw. Rodgers, Brees, Flacco, even RG3/Stafford will tear apart almost any defense that doesn't get pressure on them.

So....not panicking yet but time is running out to get the DL to where it needs to be.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,654 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,155ß
    I agree. I'm hopeful we'll see improvement. And in all honesty, we should see improvement on offense and special teams too. The team is definitely a "work in progress" right now - and for a solid 2013 season, we need to have all phases, and the coaching, continue to take steps of improvement. But overall I'm pretty comfortable with where we are at this early point in the season.

The team needs game reps now more than anything, and that will come. I've said this all off-season - that we need to understand that this team underwent MAJOR change. That comes at an initial cost. It isn't reasonable to assume that a team with this much change is going to be operating like a fine Swiss watch after 2 games.