The defense wasn't THAT bad.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 17, 2013.

1. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    If they can avoid the injury bug the Bears will be a force to contend with more and more as the season progresses. So far they beat two playoff teams and didn't panic when behind. That's important IMHO !
  2. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +276 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    122ß

Very well said, MPBears68. Time is indeed running out. The NFL season is a sprint, not a marathon (as baseball's season is). 16 games doesn't give you a whole lot of "leeway" to "figure things out and improve", and we have a VERY difficult stretch of games against some pretty good to elite QBs on the horizon. That is why some of us are growing increasingly concerned about the DL, week by week. Let's hope the DL excuses end this week against the Steelers.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,144 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
    One nice thing to consider is that as the players and coaches are improving and fine-tuning the team (offense, defense & special teams), we are winning every game. I'm thankful we have beaten two good teams while continuing to get the team playing better (to ultimately reach its full potential for this season).

I believe that by the time we play in the playoffs, this team will be considerably better than now, and be a team that can (finally) beat good teams, rather than Lovie's recent teams that could only beat bottom-feeders. But we have a long journey to go from 2 games in to our season, until then. But we're moving in the right direction when we're unbeaten and lead the NFC-N, and the Green Bay Packers are looking up at OUR backside, instead of the other way around.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +588 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    220ß
    Does anyone know what the overall sack total for the NFL at this time compared to last year?

I'm going to throw out a guess it's lower this year compared to last. For a few reasons: 1. teams are playing quicker getting the ball out of QB's hands. 2. the rule changes in protecting QB's also plays a part I believe. 3. the read option has made the D lines play much slower they can't commit as quickly as they used to. 4. the over aggressive D lines get burned by bubble screens and delayed draws big time. 5. this a completely different O compared to O's just 5 years ago. Games faster and smarter that's why slow uptake of HC's that are not offensive minded schemes are going to be in serious trouble.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    121ß
    The DL didn't undergo a major change. Other than Izzy being gone, all the personnel are the same. The top 6 guys at DE/DT are identical. No one knew that Melton would miss most of the preseason or that Pep would have the flu of course, but you would expect less "transition friction" on the DL than you would at LB or OL for instance where there were wholesale changes. The most surprising negative of the season thus far has been the inability of the DL to generate a sustained and disruptive pass rush. They are legit reasons to explain that but time is running out to fix it before it starts costing us games. The pass rush has to show up soon, as in......Sunday night.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,144 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
    We had 8 sacks after playing the Colts & Green Bay. We beat the Colts and then lost to Green Bay. We had plenty of sacks but lost the game. That's why I keep saying that sacks are not the end-all metric some fans want to make it.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +588 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    220ß
    That GB game was decide by 3 plays last year. IF we had won those 3 plays we would have won that game again such a fine line to winning in the NFL. Sorry, I agree with your point sacks are not the entire picture.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,144 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
    Those are all good points, in particular regarding the minimal player changes on the DL. I thought about that too. The change is mostly coaching & of course the LB's and DL work together so Urlacher's absence probably is being felt a bit at this early point in the season.
  9. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    What I understand is that Tucker needs a few games to settle in. And that's fine. Other metrics like hurries, hits, pressures, and batted balls need to be improved upon. The D's 3rd down conversion rate is (in Charles Barkley voice) is turrible.

This DL isn't replete with 1st round rooks that will take much of the season to develop, it needs to come around and soon. There will be some improvement but as far as I can see it certainly not by leaps and bounds compared to our OL.

If by the mid-way point I wouldn't be shocked to see us going back to even more cover-2 until Tucker can get the personnel he needs next season.
  10. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Safford ???? Eli ?? LMFAO

REALLY ???? ELI especially LMFnAOROFnFLR

I don't see too many calling for that perfect 19-o season ,... IMO they'd be fools if they were

I guess a loss here or there to say Brees or Rodgers isn't allowed .. YES ??

2011 was the last time the Packers had better than a 10 point wins over Da Bears ,... Unlike what favrester used to do to the Bears

Sine the '09 season The rest of those games with the PAck were VERY much winnable,.... AND NOW with an offense that seems to be functioning more so than it ever has ,.. you're going to to start listing who 's the better QB's to beat ...

Stafford ??? Eli REALLY ?????? LMAO News for you win or lose ,.... Eli's always had issues when playing the Bears going back to '06 ....' cept for the one when Cutty got annihilated

BUT doing carry on FF QB for you I presume ?
  11. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +276 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    122ß
    Yeah you're right, Merlin. It's not like we gave up serious yardage to Dalton and Green in Week 1. We have NOTHING to worry about from Stafford and Megatron if our DL can't generate any pressure. If only everyone could be as brilliant as you are, oh wise one.
  12. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    What game did you guys watch? The defense played great. Held AP to under 4yds a carry and contained him most of the game. Scored a pick 6. The only reason the game was close was due to a special teams failure and another bonehead turnover of Cutler that leads to 6.
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    121ß
    LMFAO...agree with you, Brad.
    The vet QBs in this league who are elite (Brees, Rodgers) and non-elite but still very capable (Stafford, Flacco, Eli, Romo) can all tear apart a defense if given a consistently clean pocket. Among that latter group, 2 of them have elite receivers (Megatron, Bryant/Witten) and the other two have decent pass weapons (Nicks/Cruz is nothing to sneer at, Baltimore is decimated but Torrey Smith can hurt you).

You can make the first elite group of QBs look like they belong in the next tier down and you can make the 2nd group look like total crap if you pressure/pummel them enough. If not, it's gonna be a long day for the Bears D. Andy Dalton is only barely into his 3rd year and he looked way better against us then he did against Pitt's rush. And Ponder, who sucks big time, looked almost "good" with all the time in the world back there most downs.

I love it when it happens but you can't always count on Jennings or Peanut to make game-changing plays to save our ass.
  14. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Your lack of patience is noted
  15. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    heard eli needs a few fans these days when ya leaving/
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    121ß
    I'm no "fan" of Eli (he's not elite like his brother or Rodgers) but he is capable of hurting you if given the chance that no pass rash provides. He has won two SBs by being clutch in the 4th and making great throws to Nicks and Cruz at key moments. Underestimate him at your peril. The Giants aren't a great team (RB/D issues) by any means but all those QBs I mentioned in the second tier we face this year can burn you if they're not pressured adequately.
  17. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +646 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    622ß
  18. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Hi, JABF99
    I agree,the Vikings first 14 points wasnt even scored by there Offence,so you cant blame the D for that..IMO Ponder was rushed in to bad throws all day,hitting Jennings for a pick six..
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,144 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
    Bleacher Report isn't one of my favorite sources. Here's a better source, NFL.com 2013 statistics. Big Ben has been sacked 1 more time than Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees & Russell Wilson (LINK). I don't think the Steelers, Packers, New Orleans Saints & Seattle Seahawks are teams that are going to make it easy to hang sacks on. Hey, I hope we do sack Big Ben 3 times. But I'm not going to panic if we don't hang 3 sacks on Ben.

I will be pleased if we have a repeat of the Vikings performance and out defense can hold the Steelers to 16 points and we come out with a win.
  20. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +646 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    622ß
    I am pleased to win any game by any score.

The Steelers average 9.5 points per game (rank 30th). So, "holding" them to 16 points is nothing to brag about. With their zero running game and patchwork OL, BigBen must go down, or else it bodes very badly for our pass defense against the better offenses on the schedule, and that will still be true if they score 16 points.