The defense wasn't THAT bad.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
  2. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    And keeping AP out of the end zone
  3. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0

Other than the game Cutler got knocked around Going back to what I have said earlier Eli's hasn't had his way with the Bears like he has with other teams,.... win or lose the Bears gave him fits
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,533 / 0 / -0
    I agree with the first point. I'm pleased when we win. But I'm also going to be pleased if we hold the Steelers to 16 points (assuming our ST's and Offense doesn't give up points to the Steelers like they did to the Vikings).

I figure that just because the Steelers have had two bad games, that doesn't mean they can't play better, even against a solid team. Maybe I give them too much respect, but I figure they are capable of being a formidable team Sunday night. They still have some solid players on that team.

I also believe our pass defense will be fine. I hope so anyway.
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -1
    We go into Pittsburgh ... We either are or we arent.
  6. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Hang it up ,.... :D
  7. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -1
    And fuuck that shiit ... WE ARE CHICAGO BEARS!
  8. phatdude

phatdude

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I know it's only been two games, but I still think the D is a little off. However the "stats" show we are on par with 2012.

I actually looked for the 2012 season "defensive scoring stats" (and I think I've found them). If I'm reading this correctly, the Bears dominated in TDs off of interceptions in 2012. We had 8 interceptions for TDs last year. The closest teams to us in that stat was Denver and San Diego with 5 each. We had 29 forced fumbles. The only team that had more was New England with 32. Out of fumbles we had 20 recoveries, and again NE had 21.
    NFL Team Defense Statistics - 2012

This year we already have 1 interception for a TD (tied with 9 other teams). We have 5 forced fumbles (tied with 4 other teams). We have 3 fumble recoveries (tied with 5 other teams) with only Seattle beating everyone with 4 recoveries.
    NFL Team Defense Statistics - 2013

So STATISTICALLY we are on par with everyone, and maybe we will break away later in the season. However just from the naked eye watching the game, the D to me just doesn't seem to be in it as much.

I did notice that we complained a lot about the lack of tackling, and statistically last year we were ranked 30th in total amount of tackles. I know there is a lot of math involved, if we are sacking and blocking passes, etc then we don't need to tackle as much, but still, 30th? Good news is we were in the top 10 of sacks last year and top 5 of yards lost due to a sack.

If we can up the tackling, keep with our trend of scoring on defense and keep our sacking about the same, we should be a top 5 defense this year.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    Think some forget that 2/3s of our LBs are new to the system. That alone will take some time to gel in this D. Once we tighten up the middle a bit, we should be fine...
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    cannot remember who was breaking it down, but it might have been Bowen on the Lawrence Holmes show last night, but someone pointed out that DJ actually had a few really good plays on Adrian last Sunday, where if he didn't fill the right hole AD was gone; whoever it was also pointed out that on the Jennings pick, it was Anderson and DJ blitzing that forced Ponder to hurry the throw.
  12. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +475 / 2 / -3
    Top 3 NFL teams in 2012 in scoring defense...

1. Seahawks 15.3
    2. 49ers 17.1
    3. Bears 17.3

This is the most important defensive stat -- points on the scoreboard. This year we are giving up 27.5 with 2 sacks. Last year, we had 8 sacks after two games. BjgBen must go down at least 3 times -- no excuses accepted. He's a capable QB if vertical.
  13. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +380 / 0 / -0
    This is the most important defensive stat- 2-0
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    Last year we got a soft Indy team as the first game, we got 3 sacks in a blow. The next game we got the Packers and got 5 sacks and lost by 2 scores....so sacks are the most imporant thing?

way to early to draw comparrisions from last year based on quality of opponent. Minny better then Indy last year in game 1, and Cincy this year/GB last year were both pretty good.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,533 / 0 / -0
    I agree Ric.

They played a really solid game and held AP in check enough that we won the game. Maybe I'm nuts (could very well be) but I figure every game-matchup is unique. Against the Vikes we were not worried about the passing game so much as we had to concentrate on stopping AP and the run game. Ponder wasn't going to beat us.

We did that.

We came away with a nice win over a team that I believe is decent. Folks talk about the Bengals and Vikes as if they are easy games, but the Bengals have been a playoff team the past few years, and will probably win their division this year (I'm not impressed with this year's Ravens). The Vikings, just 10 short months ago, beat us. AP killed us with over 150 yards rushing and two TD's. But this year's team did a nice job defensively & we came out with a nice win.

We are unbeaten, 2-0, against two solid teams so far. Yes, we have things to improve on offense, defense & special teams. But I don't understand all of the worry right now.
    [​IMG]
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +858 / 1 / -0
    I'd love to see some "payback" on Eli for that game Cutler was sacked 10 times. 4 picks would be nice too.
  17. A-11

A-11

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    I believe the DL is about to bounce back. They have faced two good offensive lines, and even if the terminology is the same it is a new staff and a subtly different D.

However, the names up front are still the same... and the rush men will be coming!
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    No doubt ,... Eli's ready for a melt down season,... and it's as if he hasn't started it already ,... ;)
  19. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Sell some more of what you been reading A-11 ... Oh wait they don't sell common sense & patience in the stores ;) it's acquired ;)
  20. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +475 / 2 / -3
    Most important stat = W-L record
    Most important defensive stat = def.scoring average
    Most important offensive stat = offensive scoring average

Best of the rest IMO = give-away/take-away differential

Power ranking in my mind is scoring differential taking difficulty of schedule into account
    • Like Like x 3