The Games People Play; Picks 10-16

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,012ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I'd feel better if we were picking at 12, but we have 14, and I'm pretty thrilled for that, so whoever is there is there. Just let's get on with it....

2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,163ß
    No kidding, BiH. Aren't we all sick of dissecting this to death? The pre-draft buildup has been milked dry and there's weeks to go yet!

Anyone want to talk another 5 pages about some scrub CFL long snapper we signed?

• Like Like x 2
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,498ß
    I know. Pretty boring right now. I wish the draft was tomorrow. I'm dreaming about summer training camp too.

4. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,750ß
    It is getting boring because we've beat the same old prospects to death until their corpses are mutilated. LOL This isn't a whole lot better but I took a look at it from a different perspective to get a better handle on who I thought are choices might be before coming up with those four as being the most likely and probably somewhat in that order; Donald, Pryor, Hageman, Fuller.

The fun part was thinking about what if anything Dallas might do as far as trading up and with who. I'm pretty convinced that Jerry Jones would like to have Donald because he loves pass rushers as much as we do. That's why Marinelli is there. If JJ wants him badly enough he's the one to worry about because he'll try to make one of them an offer they can't refuse.

Of course if BSB's article has merit it may be a done deal long before it gets to that point. Minny is that one other possibility in the top ten who might jump at him. There are people out there who feel Donald is a top ten guy. It's only his size and the perceived singularity of his position that's limiting him somewhat.

5. Bearsinhouston

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,012ß
    Not really, but I'm sure we will, LOL

6. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,750ß
    Well once we got to posting more about big Canadian balls than the long snapper himself it got interesting and I'm sure made all of our Canadian brothers feel pretty proud. :bah:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bearsinhouston

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,012ß
    I guess when they say "He's a baller" about a CFL player, they mean something completely different. Canadians have their own secret language...."

#17 Bearsinhouston, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,750ß
    Ya, they sure do eh? Now pass me an Elsinore and a jelly donut would ya.

I gotta watch Strange Brew again soon. :rofl2:

• Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,750ß
    This article by "Moon" Mullin goes a step farther than I did and looked at 19 different mock drafts to see who they thought was on consensus pick for the Bears at #14 and I guess the results are no surprise.

Mock consensus: Pitt DT Aaron Donald to Bears at No. 14
    April 20, 2014, 7:45 pm
    Comments
    [​IMG]
    Cheer
    [​IMG]

Boo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mock drafts are well-named – “mock” – because they are non-binding and more often than not, non-accurate. But while weather vanes may not always serve to deliver spot-on weather predictions, they can sometimes provide some idea of which direction winds are blowing. And NFL teams do multiple ones themselves, the operative word being “multiple” because of the myriad scenarios that can play out on draft days.

So with the draft now less than three weeks away, CSNChicago.com took a spin through 19 different mock drafts from multiple major entities covering the NFL, with an eye toward gauging the current direction of the wind at No. 14. The results:

9 Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt
    5 Timmy Jernigan, DT, Fla. State
    2 Ra’Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
    1 Ha-Sean Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
    1 Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
    1 Justin Gilbert, CB, Okla. State

Irrespective of specific players, the preponderance of thought is that the Bears will work from the ball outward, meaning a defensive tackle before a defensive back. An elite defensive lineman will typically have a greater impact on a defense than one in the secondary, particularly at safety.

Like every team, the Bears will go into the draft with a cluster of 3-7 players carrying grades worth their particular draft slot in a particular round. Not all will be there when their turn comes, but the approach gives a gauge for determining how far if at all the Bears could trade down and still get a premier talent in the range they seek.

Donald projects as the disruptive three-technique central to the single-gap 4-3 scheme that will be the Bears’ base. And from the early takeaway from the mock drafts – some with more insight or connections with teams above or around the Bears – the prevailing sentiment is that the Bears will address the all-important defensive line first, then come back for a defensive back in Round 2.

10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    507ß
    Pryor would be a fine pick as well. One of the three and I'm a happy guy.