The "Get Us Through This Month" Thread and Bold Predictions

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    518ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Well as the title suggests we have a long month ahead of us full of writers stretching an inch of info into a mile, and no real news. Until training camp, we have to just bide our time and count the days until the Bears report to Bourbonnais. Also, lets hear everyone take a crack at a "bold prediction on the year." Throw out an offensive, defensive and coaching one. Good or bad. Lets see if we have anyone come close to being right come Feb.

So I wanted to start a thread that can maybe generate some discussions on any and all topics to get us through this month. Anything. Who are we excited about? Worried about? What could possibly go wrong? Right? Are we going to beat the Packers by 75or 100? What battles are we looking forward to? Predictions on winners of those battles? Anything to get us to TC.

Couple things I think could develop into major factors..

Mel Tucker has been taken off his leash. No more ghosts of Lovie, and an influx of talent (mostly young) to set him up. Combine with additions of Pasq and other new coaches. IMO he will either thrive or flop. I don't think there will be much grey area. Outside of here I've read either he is a great coach or a horrible one who just looked good under Del Rio. This year we are going to find out and if he can prove to be a good coach who can put our defense in a position to set up our dynamic offense in good positions, we will be a very tough team.

Safety is just going to be interesting to watch in TC and all year. Wilson is another intriguing aspect into this whole mass of players we have back there now. I don't think we are going to get a 6th pro bowl out of him but he has other great value. Wilson can (hopefully) act as a bridge if needed to get us through the first few games until one or both of the following happen. Conte gets 100% and Vereen gets up to speed. Hopefully he can mentor the both of them and play if needed until one (or both) can take over. We don't need pro bowl play out of the safeties, just not screwing up on a regular basis will suffice.

I for one am excited about our linebackers this year. I may be in the minority here, but I think we have more to be excited about than afraid of. Shea and Bostic both have some great raw talent. There are things that both do very well, and that will be a good base to build off of while they round out into complete players. Again, this goes back to Tucker. How they are developed and used are going to be deciding factors on how successful they are. If nothing else, they can allow Tucker to be aggressive when he chooses to. Also, Jones is a guy to keep an eye on. Could be a steal.

Its my feeling that we are going to have a deep, young rotation up front. Wouldn't shock me one bit with the guidance of Pasq to see Ferguson and/or Sutton really come on strong this year. They are perfect complements to each other and could be our 2 and 3 for a long time if it works out. Both have extremely high ceilings and Pasq being here is enormous from them. I'm expecting surprising years from one or both.

Something not noted as much as it should is Trestman. He did a phenomenal job IMO in year one esp with the offensive unit, and this unit will be even better. Another year of Trestman's system and I'm sure it can be expanded and players will get a better feel of it. We have a lot of young players who will improve and from all looks Wilson in the slot will be an upgrade form Bennett. Carey with young fresh legs and a desire to make a name for himself will be an upgrade at RB2 IMO and will help to keep Forte fresh. Then there's Lynch, who was up for some award called the Heisman last year. Who knows what he can bring if he even makes the team but...who knows.

Speaking of the offense... I found a good image of our outlook this year........
    [​IMG]

Anyways. My bold predictions.....

Offensive: Our offense finishes top in total yardage and points
    Defensive: 3 rookies play over 70% of the snaps. One makes pro bowl.
    Coaching: Trestman wins coach of the year.

Yep. I'm drinking the koolaide.

:bearbang:

• Like Like x 5
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,500ß
    Predictions:

Bears will win the dvision, sweep the packers along the way

Cutler, Peanut, Briggs and Wilson will play all 16 games in the regular season. Each being VOTED into the probowl.

• Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    [​IMG]

This needed a caption like, "Whatta ya mean put it down. I caught it and I'm gonna keep it"!

4. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    Aw geez Grizz I was just gonna sleep the OTA and mini-camp hangover off over the next month. I hate making predictions before I see any of these guys in pads and in a preseason game or two but I'll toss in a couple of thoughts that are running through my head.

I'm beginning to see Mel Tucker as being more of a strategist and a game day play caller than I am a teaching type coach. Quite a few of the vets have said his play calls last year were spot on for the most part but the players simply didn't execute well. I'm not relieving him of the responsibility to see that they do but I guess what I'm saying is that maybe he's not the best guy to teach fundamentals to DL, LBs, and DBs. I'd say the evidence of that is pretty strong.

Trestman benefitted greatly by having Kromer to work out the kinks with the OL and Cavanaugh to work with Cutler and McCown to get them better prepared to run his offense and the receivers have nothing but high praise for Groh. But Tucker was saddled with DL and LB coaches who may not have been up to the task of teaching young inexperienced players. I have no issues with Jon Hoke but it looks like we made a good move hiring Pasqualoni and Herring. These guys are both experienced old school teaching types who seem bent on getting their players doing it right. We needed that or should I say I'm betting Tucker needed that. Clint Hurtt has a good rep for developing DL too.

Uncle Phil has helped speed the recovery process along as well by signing some cagey older vets that Tucker can sprinkle in with the younger vets and rookies to help speed their development in much that same way Marshall is doing with Jeffery and Wilson. To me that's an enormous advantage for those guys because it takes some of the pressure off being surrounded by guys who are Pro Bowl level players and know the ins and outs of the game and many of the players we'll be up against.

So if I was to step out and make a prediction it would be that we'll see a massive change in that defense this year. Staying healthy will be a factor but also having as much quality depth as it appears we'll have is also gonna make a huge difference. Emery realizes that you can't win a championship without a top defense and it sure looks to me like he's doing his level best to build one and do it very quickly without having to tear the old one down and completely rebuild.

If that defense can play up to the same level I believe the offense will then I can see a very good year ahead and some games where we may surprise some teams with just how good we can play. The talent is there now the coaches have to assemble it and get it playing at 100% of it's capability.

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    518ß
    Bolded is what I was thinking this thread could be. Just a place for general discussion on what we see expect want ect. Just a filler until we get to TC and the news goes from non existent to fast and furious.

I think you may raise a good point with Tucker being more of a game day coach than anything else. If he can indeed find the weaknesses and hit them at the right time in the right way I think we will be in for a much more enjoyable year. The positional coaches can teach and develop, as I think we made some great hires.

Pasq I think will be the hinge between a good season and a special one. If he can bring our DL along, and more importantly our young guys on the line then we could be in for a great year. If our DL is able to control the line and get consistent pressure the rest of the unit will look much better. This is going to greatly effect the success of our LB crops that will have at least one young guy in there. Briggs can go back to being that weakside tackling machine and our DBs will probably have a giftwrapped int or two a game. Pressure up the middle will allow Allen to be Allen and rack up a double digit sack total. And at the end of the day if you go 3 and out and give our offense good field position on a regular basis, your going to be playing form behind sooner rather than later.

6. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,425ß

Better yet... Scratch one GM car off the list that needs to be recalled..

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,425ß
    Coaching: Trestman wins coach of the year. <--- If he wins the division, this is a no brainer..
    He's the top of this league as far as coaching. He's making all the right moves!

8. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    Before the entire defense fell apart last year Tucker was showing more aggressiveness than I was used to seeing from Lovie by dialing up some zone blitzes and he continued to do that throughout the year. IIRC every single one of the LBs had at least one of more sacks and/or TFLs off run blitzes.

Now imagine doing that with a line that can hold it's own and in the box SS like Mundy and/or Wilson who can also blitz pretty well. I have visions of an '85 Bears style pass rush happening again when it was tough for the other guy to tell who was coming and from where. McClellin has to be a major player in the pass rush and penetration game this year. If they can use him as the fourth LB and spot him where he can do some damage I think he could finally become that Clay Matthews type of guy he should have been to begin with.

When you look at that line it doesn't look all that different than the '85 Bears as far as structure. Allen is a major pass rusher like Dent and Houston is a force against the run with some pass rush ability as well like Hampton or Hartenstine. We don't have a Fridge playing NT but both Paea and Ferguson are naturally strong guys who can play the run. Ratliff is probably more like Hampton was as a DT. A disrupter and a destroyer but Sutton is a lot like Steve McMichael who was one of the best pass rushing DTs in the game. They're aren't the same guys but there are similar skill sets at work there.

Those guys are the key. If they can control the line of scrimmage and set the edge against the run then it allows the others to have more freedom to gamble on penetration and big plays. Just once I want to see a Packer game where we corral Rodgers and put him on his butt a few times. I'm tired of seeing him slide away from sacks and make plays on the run.

9. dachuckster

dachuckster
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,564ß
    Man, if you guys keep it up, I'm going to have to switch to the Bear Kool Aid bong!!

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß

:koolaid[1]: Have some on me. :lol 027:

It's all a little speculative I know and players today aren't quite like those crazy bastards in the '80s but I really like the blend of vets and young guys we have and they way Trestman is getting these guys to buy into this "family approach".

You don't normally see 30 year old or 30+ year old vets telling the media that they're enjoying helping the younger guys learn the game. In the old days that just wasn't done because if that guy got too good he was gonna cost you you're paycheck.

But Phil has gone in and made sure some of these guys have a little bit of job security built into their contracts and even those on one year deals seem genuinely pleased to have either been asked back or those who are being brought in are getting a chance to either revive or prolong their careers like Adrian Wilson.

As long as there's a reasonable level of talent my thinking is the teams that play together the best are the guys who are left standing when the dust settles. I see that happening here.