The "Get Us Through This Month" Thread and Bold Predictions

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Well as the title suggests we have a long month ahead of us full of writers stretching an inch of info into a mile, and no real news. Until training camp, we have to just bide our time and count the days until the Bears report to Bourbonnais. Also, lets hear everyone take a crack at a "bold prediction on the year." Throw out an offensive, defensive and coaching one. Good or bad. Lets see if we have anyone come close to being right come Feb.

So I wanted to start a thread that can maybe generate some discussions on any and all topics to get us through this month. Anything. Who are we excited about? Worried about? What could possibly go wrong? Right? Are we going to beat the Packers by 75or 100? What battles are we looking forward to? Predictions on winners of those battles? Anything to get us to TC.

Couple things I think could develop into major factors..

Mel Tucker has been taken off his leash. No more ghosts of Lovie, and an influx of talent (mostly young) to set him up. Combine with additions of Pasq and other new coaches. IMO he will either thrive or flop. I don't think there will be much grey area. Outside of here I've read either he is a great coach or a horrible one who just looked good under Del Rio. This year we are going to find out and if he can prove to be a good coach who can put our defense in a position to set up our dynamic offense in good positions, we will be a very tough team.

Safety is just going to be interesting to watch in TC and all year. Wilson is another intriguing aspect into this whole mass of players we have back there now. I don't think we are going to get a 6th pro bowl out of him but he has other great value. Wilson can (hopefully) act as a bridge if needed to get us through the first few games until one or both of the following happen. Conte gets 100% and Vereen gets up to speed. Hopefully he can mentor the both of them and play if needed until one (or both) can take over. We don't need pro bowl play out of the safeties, just not screwing up on a regular basis will suffice.

I for one am excited about our linebackers this year. I may be in the minority here, but I think we have more to be excited about than afraid of. Shea and Bostic both have some great raw talent. There are things that both do very well, and that will be a good base to build off of while they round out into complete players. Again, this goes back to Tucker. How they are developed and used are going to be deciding factors on how successful they are. If nothing else, they can allow Tucker to be aggressive when he chooses to. Also, Jones is a guy to keep an eye on. Could be a steal.

Its my feeling that we are going to have a deep, young rotation up front. Wouldn't shock me one bit with the guidance of Pasq to see Ferguson and/or Sutton really come on strong this year. They are perfect complements to each other and could be our 2 and 3 for a long time if it works out. Both have extremely high ceilings and Pasq being here is enormous from them. I'm expecting surprising years from one or both.

Something not noted as much as it should is Trestman. He did a phenomenal job IMO in year one esp with the offensive unit, and this unit will be even better. Another year of Trestman's system and I'm sure it can be expanded and players will get a better feel of it. We have a lot of young players who will improve and from all looks Wilson in the slot will be an upgrade form Bennett. Carey with young fresh legs and a desire to make a name for himself will be an upgrade at RB2 IMO and will help to keep Forte fresh. Then there's Lynch, who was up for some award called the Heisman last year. Who knows what he can bring if he even makes the team but...who knows.

Speaking of the offense... I found a good image of our outlook this year........
    [​IMG]

Anyways. My bold predictions.....

Offensive: Our offense finishes top in total yardage and points
    Defensive: 3 rookies play over 70% of the snaps. One makes pro bowl.
    Coaching: Trestman wins coach of the year.

Yep. I'm drinking the koolaide.

:bearbang:
    • Like Like x 5
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,890 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    892ß
    Predictions:

Bears will win the dvision, sweep the packers along the way

Cutler, Peanut, Briggs and Wilson will play all 16 games in the regular season. Each being VOTED into the probowl.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    [​IMG]

This needed a caption like, "Whatta ya mean put it down. I caught it and I'm gonna keep it"!
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    Aw geez Grizz I was just gonna sleep the OTA and mini-camp hangover off over the next month. I hate making predictions before I see any of these guys in pads and in a preseason game or two but I'll toss in a couple of thoughts that are running through my head.

I'm beginning to see Mel Tucker as being more of a strategist and a game day play caller than I am a teaching type coach. Quite a few of the vets have said his play calls last year were spot on for the most part but the players simply didn't execute well. I'm not relieving him of the responsibility to see that they do but I guess what I'm saying is that maybe he's not the best guy to teach fundamentals to DL, LBs, and DBs. I'd say the evidence of that is pretty strong.

Trestman benefitted greatly by having Kromer to work out the kinks with the OL and Cavanaugh to work with Cutler and McCown to get them better prepared to run his offense and the receivers have nothing but high praise for Groh. But Tucker was saddled with DL and LB coaches who may not have been up to the task of teaching young inexperienced players. I have no issues with Jon Hoke but it looks like we made a good move hiring Pasqualoni and Herring. These guys are both experienced old school teaching types who seem bent on getting their players doing it right. We needed that or should I say I'm betting Tucker needed that. Clint Hurtt has a good rep for developing DL too.

Uncle Phil has helped speed the recovery process along as well by signing some cagey older vets that Tucker can sprinkle in with the younger vets and rookies to help speed their development in much that same way Marshall is doing with Jeffery and Wilson. To me that's an enormous advantage for those guys because it takes some of the pressure off being surrounded by guys who are Pro Bowl level players and know the ins and outs of the game and many of the players we'll be up against.

So if I was to step out and make a prediction it would be that we'll see a massive change in that defense this year. Staying healthy will be a factor but also having as much quality depth as it appears we'll have is also gonna make a huge difference. Emery realizes that you can't win a championship without a top defense and it sure looks to me like he's doing his level best to build one and do it very quickly without having to tear the old one down and completely rebuild.

If that defense can play up to the same level I believe the offense will then I can see a very good year ahead and some games where we may surprise some teams with just how good we can play. The talent is there now the coaches have to assemble it and get it playing at 100% of it's capability.
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Bolded is what I was thinking this thread could be. Just a place for general discussion on what we see expect want ect. Just a filler until we get to TC and the news goes from non existent to fast and furious.

I think you may raise a good point with Tucker being more of a game day coach than anything else. If he can indeed find the weaknesses and hit them at the right time in the right way I think we will be in for a much more enjoyable year. The positional coaches can teach and develop, as I think we made some great hires.

Pasq I think will be the hinge between a good season and a special one. If he can bring our DL along, and more importantly our young guys on the line then we could be in for a great year. If our DL is able to control the line and get consistent pressure the rest of the unit will look much better. This is going to greatly effect the success of our LB crops that will have at least one young guy in there. Briggs can go back to being that weakside tackling machine and our DBs will probably have a giftwrapped int or two a game. Pressure up the middle will allow Allen to be Allen and rack up a double digit sack total. And at the end of the day if you go 3 and out and give our offense good field position on a regular basis, your going to be playing form behind sooner rather than later.
  6. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +935 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß

Better yet... Scratch one GM car off the list that needs to be recalled..
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +935 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß
    Coaching: Trestman wins coach of the year. <--- If he wins the division, this is a no brainer..
    He's the top of this league as far as coaching. He's making all the right moves!
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    Before the entire defense fell apart last year Tucker was showing more aggressiveness than I was used to seeing from Lovie by dialing up some zone blitzes and he continued to do that throughout the year. IIRC every single one of the LBs had at least one of more sacks and/or TFLs off run blitzes.

Now imagine doing that with a line that can hold it's own and in the box SS like Mundy and/or Wilson who can also blitz pretty well. I have visions of an '85 Bears style pass rush happening again when it was tough for the other guy to tell who was coming and from where. McClellin has to be a major player in the pass rush and penetration game this year. If they can use him as the fourth LB and spot him where he can do some damage I think he could finally become that Clay Matthews type of guy he should have been to begin with.

When you look at that line it doesn't look all that different than the '85 Bears as far as structure. Allen is a major pass rusher like Dent and Houston is a force against the run with some pass rush ability as well like Hampton or Hartenstine. We don't have a Fridge playing NT but both Paea and Ferguson are naturally strong guys who can play the run. Ratliff is probably more like Hampton was as a DT. A disrupter and a destroyer but Sutton is a lot like Steve McMichael who was one of the best pass rushing DTs in the game. They're aren't the same guys but there are similar skill sets at work there.

Those guys are the key. If they can control the line of scrimmage and set the edge against the run then it allows the others to have more freedom to gamble on penetration and big plays. Just once I want to see a Packer game where we corral Rodgers and put him on his butt a few times. I'm tired of seeing him slide away from sacks and make plays on the run.
  9. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    165ß
    Man, if you guys keep it up, I'm going to have to switch to the Bear Kool Aid bong!!
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß

:koolaid[1]: Have some on me. :lol 027:

It's all a little speculative I know and players today aren't quite like those crazy bastards in the '80s but I really like the blend of vets and young guys we have and they way Trestman is getting these guys to buy into this "family approach".

You don't normally see 30 year old or 30+ year old vets telling the media that they're enjoying helping the younger guys learn the game. In the old days that just wasn't done because if that guy got too good he was gonna cost you you're paycheck.

But Phil has gone in and made sure some of these guys have a little bit of job security built into their contracts and even those on one year deals seem genuinely pleased to have either been asked back or those who are being brought in are getting a chance to either revive or prolong their careers like Adrian Wilson.

As long as there's a reasonable level of talent my thinking is the teams that play together the best are the guys who are left standing when the dust settles. I see that happening here.
  11. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Honestly if the defense is really that much better then we expect I can see us sweeping the division.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    From what I can tell so far the talent is there to do it with now the question is can the defensive coaching staff organize their side of the ball to be as productive as Trestman was able to do with the defense?

I think once the preseason games begin we'll get a better idea of just how well they play as a unit and how deep we are since we'll be seeing a lot of second and third tier guys in those games.
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    363ß
    Hey man fuck this shit ... on PAPER I will put this TEAM up against anybody.

We needed bodies on DEFENSE we went and GOT them.

This is not your Angelos team always one year past what is needed.

Its JUNE its dead ... time to reflect :

Motherfuckin Trestman and Emery too ...

The Dudes be watching the radar too ...

Allen a winner in Minnie ... take em on DAA BEARRSSE always a win !

The beginning of the DEFENSE rebuild to WIN !

Chumps be saying about our Secondary ...

First Draft round it puts them to unnessasary ...

Drafted the D-Line and a RB too ...

more BEARS names to put to the Crew ...

Always lookin to add to performance ...

signed Jorden Lynch just for the fuck of it ...

Needed a Saftey and played it in fourth ...

walked with a RB too for what its worth ...

Mannelly retiring Groy is needing ...

Long Snapper blues dont look to the past ...

imagine what you have to kick NFL ass ...

Someone once said DAA BEARRSSE always quitters ...

look at them now your balls give a shiver ...

BASTARDS and REJECTS and GUYS off the STREET ...

SON OF A BITCHES ALL ! Aint that sweet ?

BEARS always complain about training camp morning ...

in 2014 a new day is dawning ...

Sleepy BEARS awake from their slumber ...

now awakening to now its time to start slaughter ...

GREEN BAY and LIONS and MINNIE too ...

Theres only one TEAM that can turn on the SCREWS ...

the ONLY team that started it all ... watch as the others ...

have to crawl ... for forgivness and lickness to their masters ...

as CHICAGO BEARS become the plasters ...

of this team and that team and that team too ...

plastering teams across the news .

One thing and one thing only you may never forget ...

THE CHICAGO BEARS are HERE !

IF you are a BEARS fan ... then you will GET IT!!!
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +736 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    Defensive predictions:
    Da Good: Shea McClellin is going to develop through training camp as an absolute STUD at LB. He will be such a surprise that he will start to be in the Pro Bowl conversation amongst us homers, but not so much around the league. However, his huge bump in production at LB will be largely be thanks to a DL that is kickin it.
    Da Bad: I'm thinking my boy Lance will have a major drop in production this year. I don't like saying it, but I didn't think he looked that good even early in the season this year.

Offensive predictions:
    Da Good: Jay Cutler is going to the Pro Bowl this year and Jimmy Clausen is going to be #2. KaDeem Carey is going to be a HUGE nice surprise and by the end of the year, he will be giving Matt Forte PLENTY of rest. The O-Line will have a lot to do with his success as they get MUCH better in their run blocking.

Da Bad: Marques Wilson will be OK, but nothing near the hype that everyone is building up to. Na, just kidding, he's going to stud it up also. Nothing bad for the Offense this year.:lol 027:
    • Like Like x 2
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +668 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    360ß
    Dang you guys stolled all the thunder. What the heck is left?

I agree Shea will be Sean Lee but hopefully without the injuries.
    Clausen will be the #2 but won't get the action Josh saw last year.
    A typical Bear D will be back and the O will be like nothing we have ever seen in the history of Bear football. Thank God!
    Special teams? Well you only get one Hester speed like that comes every Halley's comet and even he is a shell of his former glory. So special teams will be.... kind of fun because we have a new punter when he does see action he'll kick the shit out of the ball and watch the sumbeech tackle he's a frick'n punter doesn't he know that?

So yes this coming year is going to be fun. Uncle Phil and cerebral Marc are making Bear football fun again. Can I get an Amen?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    ST prediction....Our punter makes ESPN top 10 for a big hit 5 times this year LOL.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    I gotta say, I absolutely LOVE what Emery & Trestman have done with this organization. They have been going pedal to the medal since they've been here. They actually have a clue about things. Plus, they actually tell us fans - through the media that they get along with - what's going on with players & the ogranization (as much as they can) instead of trying to hide & talk down to everyone. It's so refreshing to have Emery & Trestman after having Angelo & Smith.

I expect the D to be much improved. I think one thing that might not get enough press if they do turn things around, are the new coaches - Pasq, Herring, & Hurtt. Those guys, especially Pasq & Herring, are no non-sense, old-school coaches & teachers. They may be the MVP of the defense by years end, if it goes well. That's not to say the talent won't be the reason for a turn-around, because it's definitely a huge factor as well. To have all these new quality vets in here that are happy to be here and happy to help the young guys is incredible. I think it's a good mix of vets & youngsters. Plus, even though Lovie typically had a good defense, I was so sick of seeing the "sit back & wait" approach. I'm incredibly excited to see an aggressive, physical, attacking style of defense this year.

On offense, with another year in the system & everyone coming back, they *should* be even better. The only thing I worry about are injuries. They were so fortunate to not have any injuries on that side of the ball that it wouldn't surprise me to see one or two this season. Although, I sure hope it doesn't happen. While on the topic of offense, I know everyone wants to see Lynch make the 53, and it'd be great if he did, but I sure like the UFDA Senorise Perry out of Louisville get that #3 RB spot. Watching his highlight reel, the kid has good vision, knows how to wait on and utilize his blockers, isn't afraid of contact, and doesn't go down easily. To my un-trained eye, he sure looks like he belongs. Plus, he played ST's while he was at Louisville, so he has value for the Bears there as well. I'd love to see Forte / Carrey / Perry as our RB's this year.

Special teams should be much improved as well. The depth last year was not good and with injuries forcing new faces to play, they weren't very good. This year, Emery has done a fantastic job at creating competition on O & D, which will improve the depth & quality of the guys on special teams. I think ST & D are set for big gains this year.

Overall, I'm really excited about the upcoming season. I think most of the pieces are in place for the Bears to be a contender, at least. If they don't make the playoffs this year, it will be a HUGE disappointment. It wouldn't surprise me though to see them finally beat the Packers and win the division. At least, that's what I'm hoping for.

:18 1 205:
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    363ß
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I agree and think you raise a good point about the offense. Injuries are the only thing that may slow the unit down but the way Emery and Trestman have minimized risks of that by great personnel moves. In order to really have a big impact on the season IMO one of two things would need to happen. Cutler gets a long term injury and none of our 3 other QBs can "McCown" it until he comes back. (IE don't make bad decisions, hit the open WR, get rid of the ball on time ect.) Only other major factor and more likely than the QB scenario is multiple injuries on the O-Line. I'm talking along the lines of Bushrod and Long getting hurt for 6 or more weeks type of scenario.

What I like about these scenarios is there are alot of "ifs ands or buts" Alot of things need to fall into place in order to fail and thats a good problem to have.
  20. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    It will take awhile but another Cwill will slowly start to ease the pain of losing the Windy City Flyer. Brandon Dunn will find a way to make the team and will be just as stout at the point of attack as Ego and co.