The importance of the #2 QB

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Apr 25, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,023 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,723ß
    We all saw how important the #2 QB can be to a season. But I had forgotten about the backup QB who preserved Miami Dolphins perfect season in 1972. It remains the only unbeaten season in NFL history. Earl Morrall, (an old journeyman QB like McCown, only older) came off the bench that year and started 9 games when Griese broke his ankle. Miami won all 9 of those games, and then Griese returned to lead the team to a Super Bowl win. Morrall played 21 seasons in the NFL. He died today at age 79.

Hope Trestman has a solid #2 this season.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  2. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +327 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    154ß
    Oh man, Brian was that good so young!? Kudos Brian, kudos
  3. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    No one could be older than McCown. He's 135 years old. And now that he is on the Bucs Bears fans must hate him because he did not choose to make 1/5 of what he can make there.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    Right now I have no confidence in any of our other QBs to step in and win games for us. I had no confidence in McCown either, but he stepped up and did it. Until I see the same from these other guys or I see a string of marginal QBs become good QBs under Trestman, I am going to worry about that position.
    It can break your season and in fact it did break one of ours. IMO, it is our potential weakest link. I can't wait to see what Trestman can do with the next man up.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Our QB2 is enormously important IMO. Jay has an injury history and one is not being fair or honest with themselves if they say hes not a injury risk or concern. As much work as Emery has put into this offseason to gear this team up for a run I'm sure he won't see it derailed due to a Cutler injury and lack of competent backup. We don't know what the word is in HH about Palmer. What we do know is that he is very unproven and doesn't have a whole lot to back up claims he is viable number two. I expect somehow someway we see another guy in here ready to compete and provide another option if Palmer isn't doing as well as some think in the situation that Jay goes down.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    Problem w/the backup is the problem w/the qb position in general, there aren't 32 quality starters and the backups are normally worse then the worst starter(normally).

Going back to 06 only the Pitt Stealers from a few years ago had more then 1-2 games where the Backup play, and the SF team that replaced Smith w/Kaep(their long term plans regardless) went to SB's. Pitt and their backups played 4 games, 2 for Batch and 2 for Dixon; anyone thinking those guys are good? both had .500 td to int ratios or worse. Even the Chicago SB was the 1 year Rex was able to stay healthy all season; we all know what happened w/SF and Kaep.

Point is, if you want to get to SB's and win them, your QB has to be really good and really healthy, doesn't have to be great, Big Ben and Eli Manning and Flacco that, but they do have to be really good.
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    My two pennies.

Without Cutler, assuming we make the playoffs, we will be one and done, thus we need Cutler for the playoffs. McCown was a blessing in that he could come in for 6 weeks and keep us in the playoffs. I do not believe Palmer is McCown and can win 6 games for us, but may be servicable for a couple games if required. Short of drafting a QB in the first two rounds this situation will probably not change. Once again we have to pick our poison and I think Palmer is the most likely to succeed at this point.

What I do not understand is how comfortable we are with Jerrod Johnson as the #3 QB and if he is a potential replacement for Jay Cutler down the road. If Trestman likes him then we can take QB off the need list and look for UDFA for camp fodder and to battle JJ for the #3 spot. If we are not comfortable with JJ we will spend a late pick on a QB. And if we are not comfortable with Palmer and QB's fall, we could have a surprise pick at #14 in Bortles or Carr if we do not feel we have a back up to Jay. I am leaning towards late pick or none at all.
  8. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I did a bunch or research on JJ and he is kind of a RGIII lite. Big, strong arm, fast, agile. Had one solid year at A&M (2009) 60% comp 30 TD 8 Int 3500 yds. Rushed for 500 yds 8 TD.

Injured his shoulder the next year and was replaced. From some of the articles on JJ it could be that the shoulder injury was a more serious injury than originally thought and it took him more than a year to recover from it. Some of the articles indicted that he did not regain full arm strength until late 2011. I have no idea if any of this is true.

We have signed him to the PS and cut and re-signed him. So I assume that Trestman/Kromer/Cavanaugh see something in him. I expect that if we don't see some significant improvement form him this preseason, he will be cut.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Can we be honest for a second and all admit we didn't have confidence in McNown last year before he did what he did? Can we be honest that we had no confidence nor should we have had any?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    I had confidence in McCown. I thought he could still play back in 2011 in the last two games of the season.
  11. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I still think that Palmer is going to end up being the #2.

Trestman brought him in when Cutler got hurt, he was with us in Camp last year and I tend to believe that he will be the back-up. He has been around the system long enough to be the best option.

We need a guy that is a system guy like McCown was and I think Palmer has a good shot at being that guy.
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    I think Palmer will as well, wish he had a little more experience but it is what it is.
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I'm not sold that HH is sold on Palmer as the number two. They elected to give Weems a roster spot over him for the majority of last year, and doubt he had many reps at all outside of the scout team. I think that he will be given a chance at the no 2 job in camp but I expect them to take a quality guy. This doesn't mean that we are in for a shocker at 14, but in the 2nd round and on I wouldn't put it past Emery. Then again, I wouldn't put drafting a long snapper in the 2nd past Emery from his history LOL.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    So two games in which he threw more INT's than TD's gave you confidence in a career journey man?
  15. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Dude, do you only look at the stat line when you judge a player? Is that why you think Anderson had a good year last year and he's still looking for a team?

McCown moved well and made plays with his feet and arm behind a horrible o-line. He won one of of two away games against divisional rivals despite Webb trying to help Allen get the all time sack record in a season. McCown still was willing to play hard and get hit, all while making league minimum in a system he'd been a part of for a month.
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Back to our current qb2. I don't think that Palmer can match what McCown did. McCown's staple and what made him so serviceable for us was his ability to not makes mistakes. His stat line was also inflated due to some spectacular catches form Jeffery on jump balls. The staff didn't think high enough of Palmer to keep him on the active roster last year, instead went with 2 active qbs. Not saying he will be bad or is bad, I just don't think our staff is sold on him quite yet so I expect a QB taken at some point.
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Haha...that is true...he's a gamer. But that doesn't give me confidence. And it's not like he beat the SuperBowl Champs. He beat a Vikings team that didn't have AP playing for it and Joe Webb was playing QB. Like I said, just because he beat that team didn't give me confidence in the guy, nor should it have given you confidence in my opinion. It was a totally different system 2 years later. The question marks to me were just as big last off season as they are now.

As an aside...there are lots of guys still looking for teams, but I don't want to hijack this thread.
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    As you said...McCown made mistakes, our receivers just made great plays. Also, he had a good amount of would be INT's dropped. Just saying. As for the #3 QB...how many teams keep their number 3 QB active on game days? Is there any way to find out that stat? I would think it's more about not wasting a spot on a guy who is unlikely to play.
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Almost all keep 3 active QBs. We did up until last year in case we have a situation like the nfc championship game where we had 2 qbs go down.
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Then I would say we have to see what Trestman does this year. I think that would be more telling. Does he value having that extra spot available over having the 3rd QB. Personally I think the NFL should change their game day dress rules. I think it's silly to have a 53 man roster and then have to decide which of those 53 make the 46 player game day roster. 9.999 times out of 10 the 3rd QB is a wasted game day spot.