The importance of the #2 QB

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Apr 25, 2014.

1. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +399 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    200ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I still think that Palmer is going to end up being the #2.

Trestman brought him in when Cutler got hurt, he was with us in Camp last year and I tend to believe that he will be the back-up. He has been around the system long enough to be the best option.

We need a guy that is a system guy like McCown was and I think Palmer has a good shot at being that guy.

2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,261 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,062ß
    I think Palmer will as well, wish he had a little more experience but it is what it is.

3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +670 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    460ß
    I'm not sold that HH is sold on Palmer as the number two. They elected to give Weems a roster spot over him for the majority of last year, and doubt he had many reps at all outside of the scout team. I think that he will be given a chance at the no 2 job in camp but I expect them to take a quality guy. This doesn't mean that we are in for a shocker at 14, but in the 2nd round and on I wouldn't put it past Emery. Then again, I wouldn't put drafting a long snapper in the 2nd past Emery from his history LOL.

4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,725 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,064ß
    So two games in which he threw more INT's than TD's gave you confidence in a career journey man?

5. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    291ß
    Dude, do you only look at the stat line when you judge a player? Is that why you think Anderson had a good year last year and he's still looking for a team?

McCown moved well and made plays with his feet and arm behind a horrible o-line. He won one of of two away games against divisional rivals despite Webb trying to help Allen get the all time sack record in a season. McCown still was willing to play hard and get hit, all while making league minimum in a system he'd been a part of for a month.

6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +670 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    460ß
    Back to our current qb2. I don't think that Palmer can match what McCown did. McCown's staple and what made him so serviceable for us was his ability to not makes mistakes. His stat line was also inflated due to some spectacular catches form Jeffery on jump balls. The staff didn't think high enough of Palmer to keep him on the active roster last year, instead went with 2 active qbs. Not saying he will be bad or is bad, I just don't think our staff is sold on him quite yet so I expect a QB taken at some point.

7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,725 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,064ß
    Haha...that is true...he's a gamer. But that doesn't give me confidence. And it's not like he beat the SuperBowl Champs. He beat a Vikings team that didn't have AP playing for it and Joe Webb was playing QB. Like I said, just because he beat that team didn't give me confidence in the guy, nor should it have given you confidence in my opinion. It was a totally different system 2 years later. The question marks to me were just as big last off season as they are now.

As an aside...there are lots of guys still looking for teams, but I don't want to hijack this thread.

8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,725 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,064ß
    As you said...McCown made mistakes, our receivers just made great plays. Also, he had a good amount of would be INT's dropped. Just saying. As for the #3 QB...how many teams keep their number 3 QB active on game days? Is there any way to find out that stat? I would think it's more about not wasting a spot on a guy who is unlikely to play.

9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +670 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    460ß
    Almost all keep 3 active QBs. We did up until last year in case we have a situation like the nfc championship game where we had 2 qbs go down.

10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,725 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,064ß
    Then I would say we have to see what Trestman does this year. I think that would be more telling. Does he value having that extra spot available over having the 3rd QB. Personally I think the NFL should change their game day dress rules. I think it's silly to have a 53 man roster and then have to decide which of those 53 make the 46 player game day roster. 9.999 times out of 10 the 3rd QB is a wasted game day spot.