The Josh McCown story keeps getting better: We are witness to a truly remarkable NFL story.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 17, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    I can never remember having a backup QB that I felt so comfortable with. Usually when your #1 QB goes down, you're screwed. But the old man, keeps us in games.

(I realize he is #12 now.....but I like this pic of him)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    Just think, if McCown can keep this up (he's playing against the Rams and the Vikings the next two weeks, so it can't be TOO hard), and we get into the playoffs, we could have a VERY healthy and VERY dangerous football team, with the defense only STARTING to peak at this point in the season. Obviously we have a long way to go, but I feel pretty comfortable with a QB whose job is simply "management" with one or two deep throws a game.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,663 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    919ß
    Wow, and he is doing this without a full neckbeard. Think what he could do if he stopped shaving his neck.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    If he wins two more and puts us in position to get into the playoffs then it will take a little more money to bring him back next year, because someone is going to offer him more than we paid this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +695 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    872ß
    The thing I like most about him is that he plays under control. He just operates within the system, works through his progressions, doesn't make turnovers, good/accurate throwing mechanics. Is Cutler paying attention?
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Veteran

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    Hopefully, Cutler's learning that he doesn't have to be so reckless with the ball in order to produce.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,663 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    919ß
    More likely, he feels the heat and will push himself into more mistakes. Pressure does not seem to be his friend.
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    I know some will view this as an "excuse", but I don't think Cutler gets enough credit for the improvements he HAS made this previous offseason, especially given that he's mostly had to rely on instincts since 2009 (Oh, you think Turner, Martz and Tice, as his OC, Hester, Knox and Davis being his main targets for most of his time here, and guys like Webb, Carimi, Pace, Williams, Omiyale and Spencer blocking for him couldn't possibly be responsible for his spotty play? Ohhhhhhh, aren't you oh ho so adorable). Remember when we were all complaining about him throwing off of his back foot, and how his "mechanics" just weren't going to get fixed? Or how about how he ONLY focused on throwing to Marshall? Yeah, those flaws in his game kinda disappeared after one offseason with Trestman, didn't they? I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to expect Trestman to fix/mostly fix that THIS offseason, especially since Trestman has worked his magic with both he and McCown so far.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,583 / 16 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    165ß

• Like Like x 1
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    417ß
    Outside of injurys the whole team has improved.
  11. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,961 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,019ß
    People talk about McCown playing the next two games as though it is a sure thing that he will play the next two games....

And playoffs? Cutler will surely be back by then.
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,095 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    He won't ever learn that. He's 30+ and has been doing it his hole life. He is Romo/Rivers and the like. He isn't even Flacco or Eli or Big Ben, who have shown the ability to at least go on a stretch of near perfect games.

Most impressive thing about McCown is that he's limiting his TO's, he's got 0 right now over a 3 game period, and against 1 really good D(GB/Redskins are not good). A guy that has more TO's then TD's in his career finally figuring it out his testament to Trestman's ability to teach those that are willing to learn. Maybe being out of the league has helped him become more teachable then a guy like Cutler who hasn't been so carefull w/the ball.
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    Remember when we were all complaining about him throwing off of his back foot, and how his "mechanics" just weren't going to get fixed? Or how about how he ONLY focused on throwing to Marshall? Yeah, those flaws in his game kinda disappeared after one offseason with Trestman, didn't they? I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to expect Trestman to fix/mostly fix that THIS offseason, especially since Trestman has worked his magic with both he and McCown so far.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,095 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    He's still throwing off his off foot, his mechanics still break down.

He fixed McCown, the backkup taking next to no snaps, who was a career 50% comp guy that threw more int's and had more fumbles then td's. Is it really to hard to believe he could/should have been able to keep Cutler's int's down?

Cutler is better don't get me wrong, but there are some things Cutler just will not change, and the confidence in his arm is one of them.
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    Okay, I've been watching for this all year, and DO NOT see the same mechanical breakdowns he suffered from last year. Also, he DOES NOT stare down one receiver to the point of it being a detriment to his play. I will say, McCown's starting to throw off of his back foot...
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,095 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    Then you haven't been watching, b/c Cutler HAS broken down in games and thrown off his backfoot.

You are correct he's not singling out Marshal, but he has stared down some WR's also.

And he's still more then happy to try and throw into triple coverage, or throw threw a DB to allow the WR to catch it.

i'm happy w/how Cutler has played, for the most part, but lets not act like he was "fixed", far from it.
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    Gotta call BS on you here. While it's obviously not 100% better, it's SIGNIFICANTLY better, enough to show he's making serious progress in a number of areas.

Again, not anywhere NEAR the level he was at last year.

THAT is what I think will be the easiest to fix. Why? Because Trestman needs to drill it into his head to "dump it off". He's already shown a little improvement this year, and given that this is his first year in a real system with real players and real coaches, he's clearly set for success next year. He starts dumping the ball off, he's gonna get hit a lot less, too.

Yes, he HAS fixed several of his worst flaws. He has fixed them more than what one would reasonably expect in a "first year" with an actual OC and HC. There's no such thing as a "perfect" quarterback, and certainly not one that will screw up in his mechanics from time to time, but he's shown enough this year to bring him back the next.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,095 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    moving the goal posts? for a guy all about throwing straw man and other examples you sure are happy to use them too.

I never said he wasn't NEAR as bad as last year. He's improved from last year, but NOT NEAR as improved as the backup who's gotten a fraction of the time w/the QB guru.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,258 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    301ß
    I thinks Ric's last sentence is the key point for me about Cutler. And that's why I hope they FT him and give him one more season in the TCO to make a final decision (while grooming a rookie as well). No way I give Jay Cutler a LT deal until he proves:
    He can stay heathy enough to start 16 games, 15 minimum
    He has better mastered ball security

I want him to "succeed" here and yes he's taken steps. But as much as I love him when he makes those highlight reel plays, I want to kill him every time he has another dumbass, avoidable turnover. Jay's "speciality" -- the deep in the red zone (either one) fumble or pick -- really need to go away.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. WarLax

WarLax Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Depending on how this season plays out, I agree with MP that the FT tag and see how it goes is the best play. Giving Cutler a giant contract after he's had a full season being healthy and a second offseason learning the offense will make me feel a lot better than any long term deal based off "potential".

That said, Burris I don't really ever post, but I do read a lot and one thing I've come to learn is that Ric (and most others) is set in his ways and will not compromise when he has decided a stance on an issue. Lord knows, Ric wouldn't accept anything less than Long being a giant failure of a draft pick (reading this board was damn near unbearable after the draft). Where his intangibles and will to learn were ALREADY APPARENT, before he played one snap as a Bear and those same qualities are endearing him to Bears nation now and paying dividends. Thusly....argument/debate is futile!

Anyway, Cutler will likely get a deal or the FT tag, of the two at this point the latter seems the better option. That said, Cutler most certainly has improved far and away more than I think most people anticipated, I'm all for keeping that ball rolling.
    • Like Like x 1