The Josh McCown story keeps getting better: We are witness to a truly remarkable NFL story.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 17, 2013.

1. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +441 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    This's by far the best offensive system we as Bears fans have ever seen, it even makes an old time QB look like a 20 million dollar QB. Is the system perfect absolutely not but it is consistent and does produce results when needed. I'm a Jay Cutler fan but I wouldn't spend crazy money on QB when all you obviously need is a good tactician with a brain. Trestman and Emery can utilize money wisely by buying the parts that are essential to the Trestman offense. Thereby creating solid QB that doesn't cost a arm and a leg and use that money to spend it on something we really need like defensive linemen and safety's.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,841 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I'm willing to give Jay a pass on his entire body of work. But the excuses end now (as far as I'm concerned). He needs to go to the Wizard for a QB-brain to use in big games against quality opponents (e.g., Green Bay). Can you imagine how great Jay would be if he had the football-IQ of the less talented McCown? I'm hopeful that Jay will be fine. But I want to see him take that next step with his decision-making in big games (like McCown). And it would be nice if he could be less fragile, and make it through a season without injuries (I know this is not his fault at all, but he is fragile). My fear is that now that he's on the far side of 30, that he'll be even MORE fragile. I guess this is OK as long as we have McCown to bale our seasons out.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Never thought of that. Strap him onto the table and get Dr. Frankenstein to swap them out.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,468 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß

Except that I did say that he had proven me wrong, in pre season, but whateve's.

And I am actually on board w/the Cutler FT thing over a LT deal...but ya know....whateve's
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,841 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    "Just relax big boy, it will all be over in a minute, and you'll be able to beat Green Bay" :)

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,444 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    628ß
    LOL, anyone bother to ask Ric whether or not he still believes Josh McCown isn't an NFL caliber QB? This past summer he was of the belief that any rookie straight out of college would do just as well or better than McCown and that we should kick McCown to the curb for one. Some one should ask him whether he'd rather have one of those straight out of college QBs like Scott Tolzien taking snaps from Garza and throwing picks for TDs that lose games like the Packers are suffering through.

I hate to gloat but I do really enjoy it when rational logic triumphs over pure irrational emotions. And I guess I might as well add that McCown is not here to replace Cutler and won't. He quite happy being the #2 guy and probably a better QB as a result of that since he's been on the sidelines helping to analyze who to attack offensively and learning the offense better that way without the pressures of being the starter. Anyone who believes different only needs to listen to how he describes himself, "I'm the backup QB".

After all those years of wandering around the QB desert without a QB they could depend on they now find themselves with a top ten starter and a top whatever backup. I have a lot of respect for Josh McCown both the way he prepares and the way he plays. The guy is calm and unflappable and a great leader on the field as well as off of it. The Bears aren't in QB and WR/TE hell any longer. Yipee!
    • Like Like x 2
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,468 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    Awww Soul stopped by just to harass me. I thought I was no longer worthy of your time b/c of a "homophobic slur".

And yes they've properly ripped me for it. Before the season I stand by my statement though, his win/loss record, his TD to TO ratio, his completion % and his ypc were all horrid, if you were to look at those stats w/out the names you would not want him on your team.

But then again I knew Trestman was a qb guru, I didn't know he was the QB mesiah, capable of raising the careers of dead qb's; my bad.

Wait, irrational emotions, like the endless rants about Izzy and Urlacher you were throwing around? How's Izzy looing right now sitting on the bench w/less stat's then David Bass, let alone Wootten or Shea(the two that replaced him). You are the king of irrantional, we've all been jesters playing king around here until you returned....

good to have you back by the way.
  8. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Alright guys, let's not give it to Ric too much, he ain't a Packers fan. He's a Bears fan and that makes him a big part of our big dysfunctional family. There are more important things to worry about, like what flavor of wings to eat while Josh SHREDS the Rams on Sunday.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,468 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    Mango Habenero' and Garlic Parmesan. 1 for the hot streak he's on, and the 2nd for his ability to stay cool under duress, anything less would be uncivilized.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Shoot, I don't think very many of us thought very highly of McCown. Ric is sitting at a pretty full table eating his crow.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    You two need to get a room, LOL
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,468 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    hmmm I think that is a room that only has 1 person walking out of.
  13. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +441 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    That's what separates him from ever being a Manning, Brees or Brady.
  14. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +441 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    It's amazing how fast these media guys forget what they said about a player. But make no mistake they will never forget what a player may say from their past. All those clowns on the score were going crazy during preseason about how can anyone trust the season to McCown if Jay goes down. Now they can't get enough of Josh and now it's all about Jay retuning to fast.
  15. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +168 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    Anybody remember the LAST time the Ravens won a SUPERBOWL ?

Not the current one ... the one before that.

Who was their QB ? How did they get there?

It was DEFENSE. Arguably the best defense since the 1985 CHICAGO BEARS.

How can THE CHICAGO BEARS take a no name QB ... an injured defense ...

and WIN a SUPERBOWL ? I have no idea .

But theres somthing going on here and you flat out KNOW it !

You know theres some major shit coming down in the future ...

YOU FUCKING KNOW IT ! Dont lie to me.

I hate it when you lie to me.

Now who the fuck was screaming about OL last year ?

Uhhhhh ... all of us. But you dont see us screaming this year do you ?

So that problem was solved .. so lets move on to DEFENSE.

Are these guys gassed ... bashed ... flashed ?

Or into a new system that doesnt need them replaced in a panic mode but only healthy ?

You be the judge ... you decide.
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,214 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    112ß
    [/quote]
    Oh, C'mon soul. I've clearly taken over the role of the "self righteous, if you don't agree with what I'm saying, obviously you don't understand basic english" guy, but even I have humility, LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Can't we all just get along?

We all love the Bears and feel passionately the hope they can win.

I was WRONG about Urlacher and Izzy....wrong! Soul was too. Ric was WRONG about McCown and Long (me too on the latter). Let us let bygones be bygones.

I have no illusions that we are going to a SB this year (heck we are probably still a long shot to even make the playoffs) but at least we have enough going on to make watching and bitching about the rest of the season still fun. Beats being 3-7 which we would be under Lovie/Tice/Angelo lol.

We have an OFFENSE...finally! Just rebuild the D, Phil, and we are players for 2014. The QB position is a good "problem" to have. All you gotta do is FT Cutler, re-sign McCown, draft a 3rd round QB, and use pretty much all the remaining offseason assets on defense + a 2nd TE. It's at least fun to watch this season and we can be right there next year with some good moves. Beats the JA era by miles, don't ya think?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,444 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    628ß

Sorry zel and the rest of you as well but he was so adamant about it and posting every other day about how the Bears were so foolish paying a guy like McCown to become an experienced and competent backup for a guy who can never make it through 16 games anymore. In Ric's world we should simply have signed a guy like Tolzein the Packers have playing now and instead of winning McCown's two starts and almost another if Trestman hadn't been so slow on the trigger to replace him we'd have dropped three in a row like the Pack has.

With Rodgers still not due to return for another week or two they're about as out of the NFCN race as they can be but because of McCown the Bears are still hanging in their even with all of the injuries they've sustained on defense. I believe that even if he plays both of the next two games we'll be 8-4 and three weeks ago I would never have believed that would happen. McCown doesn't have the cannon arm Cutler has but very few ever had an arm like that. But he has a decent arm, he's accurate as all hell, he's mobile, and he's smart enough to know when not to take chances and always plays within himself. He's actually far better at running a ball control offense than Cutler is.

I just got tired of debating it but the pure fact of the matter is that if you expect to compete for championships you need a decent #2 QB especially when your #1 has been getting hurt each year. McCown is an experienced vet whose started over 40 NFL games and he was the perfect compliment to Cutler and the reason Cutler liked having him around so give him some credit too for McCown becoming his backup. The guy cost us $940k in cash and his cap hit is half that or just about what an inexperienced second or third year guy like a Caleb Hanie or Scott Tolzein would have cost us cap wise and we're far better off.

Nuff said.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,444 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    628ß

Oh, C'mon soul. I've clearly taken over the role of the "self righteous, if you don't agree with what I'm saying, obviously you don't understand basic english" guy, but even I have humility, LOL[/quote]

Henry you can still have the "self-righteous" role. I'm not around to post much these days and I'm sure that if I was much of what I would have posted wouldn't have gone over all that well either. I've been critical of quite a bit but also complimentary when and where it was deserved. Maybe just maybe the two are finally beginning to balance out. Magic 8 ball says ask again later.

I'll probably continue to be a part timer for awhile longer but I couldn't resist pointing this one out. Not with those insane daily rants about Bears QBs coming from the McCown and Cutler insulters were one of the main reasons I used the ignore button for the first since I joined this little beer party and I decided a little vacation was in order. It was either that or go to war against Loki and his Ban Hammer for conduct unbecoming.

Anyway, on this one I refuse to be humble and it really isn't about McCown. That was just the point of contention. It could have easily been anyone of a dozen other issues as well. What is was and is about is the need to use logic and analytics sometimes and not just raw emotions and baseless opinions that have no foundation in fact. There's a reason my ex and I got divorced and don't speak much these days and in certain ways some of these debates were getting to run along the same lines as her "don't confuse me with facts my minds made up" methodologies. I needed a vacation from the insanity so I took it just like I needed to stop having pointless discussions with my ex.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,444 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    628ß
    Whose not getting along MP? I stopped debating Ric's lack of logic long ago. Hasn't anyone noticed the more peaceful atmosphere? LOL

I still don't believe I was wrong about Urlacher or Izzy. Until these last two games that defense couldn't have stopped my Grandma from scoring and she's been dead for 25 years. No gap control against the run, a lousy pass rush, the two Safeties almost constantly out of position and a lack of the kind of aggressive run to the ball type of play the Bears defense was built on. Maybe they finally improved because Tucker got his butt out of the press box and back down on the field where a defensive leader belongs. That defense lost it's main architect, it's principal coach and pass rush guru who made a Cover 2 work Lovie's way, and it lost it's QB and field general all in one year. Nobody filled those gaps for 8 friggin' games least of all the role of QB and defensive leader. Lance Briggs is a great OLB but he's not Brian Urlacher when it comes to play recognition, play calling and getting his guys in position to make plays. Maybe it's just a coincidence but there seems to be less chaos and confusion in that regard now than when he was running the show. I will never in a million year believe that so far this season that defense has been better without Brian Urlacher than with him running it and helping Tucker make the transition. Tucker took on the task of running someone else defense he had no experience running and the one guy who could have made all the difference in the world in that regard got dumped by our GM. No, I still don't accept that being the right thing to do.

As for Izzy it's a much smaller matter overall but losing a key contributor to the pass rush at both DE and DT cost us big time when Melton and Collins went down an Tucker had to move Wootton inside. We're lucky he didn't get chop blocked playing in there and we'd have lost him too. What pissed me off is that for whatever reason Izzy signed with Detroit for the same or less money than the standing offer the Bears made to him. Why? He sure as hell didn't like something or someone to leave a team he's been fiercely loyal to for a division rival. No problem says Phil and then one by one his replacements either went down injured, bailed on him, or couldn't even beat out rookie free agents for a spot. The bottom line is that if all Izzy did was backup on the left side like he did last year he would still have been nice to have around when we had DL dropping like flies. Losing those two guys has made a major difference whether anyone is willing to admit it or not.