The Josh McCown story keeps getting better: We are witness to a truly remarkable NFL story.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 17, 2013.

1. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It's all fine soul, let's not forget what we're all here for though: our love of Da Bears. I'm more than happy with Josh but I'm going to be ecstatic once Cutty can come back.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Cutler can win us a game in a "Shootout" and I think Trestman realizes that if he can improve him, he has lighting in a bottle.

Cutler has improved, and I think he is learning during these injuries. How in the world do you not bring him back next year?

Thank you Josh, you have been great (I hope you continue to be play well), but Cutler is the future (at least for next year).
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,759 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
    Well Josh can, and just did, win a shootout, but what he cannot do is consistantly put up 30+ points, which is what Cutler has the potential to do, and why there is no question as to who the starter is and should be.

The question is next year, is there someone that can replace either Josh or Cutler and do what they can/have done for a cheaper hit to the cap. If the answer is no, you bring them back, if the answer is yes then you let them walk, or in Culter's case FT him.
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    168ß
    McCown has been an absolute steal at $875k this year which is pocket change by NFL standards. Will he cost more to keep? Probably but I'd pay it. Still worth it. A number of teams (us included last year) paid their vet backup $3m+ for nowhere near the production JM has given us. He's also an ideal mentor to have around for a rookie draft pick and a locker room favorite.

Pay Da Man (within reason of course, and his humility leads me to believe he will be very reasonable)
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,759 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
    He's humble and reasonable b/c of a contract and knowing there is no where to go. In the offseason, while I don't think he'll get a shot at a starting gig, will he be so humble, or will he go somewhere w/a qb that isn't so entrenched; where an inj could and his ability to succeed could lead to a permanent switch in qb, and not to mention more money. Would you take 800K-1mil if someone asked you to come to them for 4 million?
  6. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Josh will take the best contract he can get next year (which will likely be a mix of money and opportunity)...that may be with the Bears or it may be somewhere else...and it has nothing to do with being a humble, reasonable, level headed guy, which he genuinely appears to be....it's simple NFL economics and common sense...there is no reason to expect Josh to give the Bears some kind of "hometown discount"...
    • Like Like x 2
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    594ß
    Who is the Vikings starter?
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,178 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    525ß
    This is a no-brainer. The team only plays 16 games in the regular season. How much is it worth to have a guy who can continue to win games, when fragile Cutler is out? How much is it worth to win a few games that most teams lose, when their #1 QB bites the dust? Emery is not stupid. He recognizes that even if he pays Josh McCown more money, it is very cheap insurance for salvaging a season that could otherwise tank. Throwing some more cash Josh's way, is chump change in the grand scheme of winning.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    168ß
    If someone way overbids us, of course he will leave. That's true of any FA.
    At 35, his chances of becoming a permenanet full time starter are small I would think.
    He's thrived in MTs system where he probably wouldn't elsewhere.
    He's also got 4 great receiving weapons to work with here. Most teams don't have that.
    We will see. I hope he stays.
  10. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    594ß
    If someone underbids the Bears but offers a starting gig (or competition) he is gone.
  11. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree. His demeanor puts me at ease when I see him play. He never looks stressed or emotional. Very methodical. When Jay is on the field I'm on pins and needles. You never know if he'll do something great or something completely stupid.

Take it from a guy who has Jay as his avatar, this situation bothers me. If Josh and Trestman win these next two games and he plays really well, we are in a sticky situation. As much as I love Jay, he's shown he's still unpredictable and injury prone. Worse if we sign Jay for a short contract and keep him, I doubt we can afford to keep McCown and that would be a great loss the next time Jay gets hurt (and we know he will). I don't want to hold josh back so if he gets an offer he should leave. But I'm starting to think I'd rather have him than Cutler now....
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,759 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
    I'll say it now, he will not get a starting get outright, even at 29 it wouldn't happen w/his history.
    No pro athlete will ever think that, no matter how humble
    True, but he'll have his choice of places and you don't know what happens in FA and the draft and how that changes a team, the Bears didn't have 4 last year.
    I'm not worried if he stays or goes, he's backup and he's replaceable; right now his biggest asset is that Cutler likes him and he's no threat to him; bonus's are how well he's playing right now.
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,388 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    509ß
    If he goes anywhere else, he is crazy and he will go back to accomplishing nothing. I really do not think he bloomed from nowhere. I really think that this system is great for him.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,178 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    525ß
    +1

We have the players on offense now, that make a QB look good. I just finished watching the game tonight, and it still amazes me, the high level of talent we surround our QB with. We have two stellar WR's who are big physical go-up-and-get-it guys (basically all a QB has to do is chuck the ball in their general zip code and it's a catch). The TE Bennett is a 6'6" monster who made McCown's last game winning drive. We have a really solid offensive line now, and a great offensive coordinator. And we have one of the better all-around RB's in the entire NFL. And the head coach is a true QB guru who has been a proven winner.

I'm beginning to think a Soldier Field beer vendor could prosper at QB in a sweet deal like this. And Cutler & McCown are smart enough to know that they are probably not going to be as successful in other systems, as compared with what they have now, in Chicago. And they also see that under Emery/Trestman, we're going to be a true Super Bowl contender very soon. Both of these guys are going to want to play in Chicago, even if the financial deal isn't as great. In fact, you'd probably have to shoot them and drag their dead body out of Chicago to get rid of them.......they're going to do ANYTHING to stay here.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,388 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    509ß
    There are parts of Chicago where I am sure that would be accommodated....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    594ß
    Give me five minutes
    • Like Like x 2
  17. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I hope you're right. We could use a little help after such a depressing drought.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    I know that zel and believe me this is not the only place where some of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard pop up. During my hiatus I explored a few of them just to see what others posted and how they'd respond to my posts and I was not all that gracious because they aren't my Bears Buddies like this place has become. I'm still sticking post up around those places because I can just say what I want to say and drop it. Here it's much tougher to do that.

What rankles me the most is when some sportswriter or media talking head says something or writes a ridiculously stupid article and a bunch of fans pile on to those thoughts like they had none of their own. Those guy get paid to do a job and when there isn't any news they'll find ways to make some up. There is no QB controversy on the Bears but if you read the national sports pages you sure would think there was. They invent shit that doesn't even exist and that's not reporting news! That's what journalism has become not just in sport but everywhere and it's sickening. In way too many cases there's an attempt to swap opinion with lies, half truths and complete a misstatement of the facts and to few seem to want to sort through it themselves so they just nod their pointy little heads and agree.

THAT'S what finally got to me and why I needed a break. Besides I have an interest in what the Broncos are up to as well. Manning and that coaching staff have really turned that team around and they're fun to watch again. Peyton may finally get another ring.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    Yeah Wolf but knowing McCown there isn't any reason not to as well. I believe he truly likes the deal he has here. He's half backup QB and half coach and synergist with Cutler and the two have a great respect for one another. I suppose if someone came along and offered him starters money and a guaranteed starting spot he may take one final shot at that but chances of that for him are slim. He's in the best situation playing wise he's ever been in his entire career and he's successful doing what he can do here and comfortable with it's limitations.

We've paid $2 mil and more for #2 QBs in the past and with the cap space expected to be much better in 2014 they can probably make him an attractive enough offer to keep him here as opposed to being a backup elsewhere and that's really all he is. Even he admits that.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    Well maybe not ANYTHING but almost, LOL.

What you posted is exactly what I believe and what I've been saying. Both guys have had checkered careers and been on teams or in situations where their talents have been squandered. Now they play for a team with weapons, blocking and good offensive coaching and if you care about winning that's where you'll want to play.

If I've observed anything about Cutler off field it's that he's not a slick kind of guy. He's not into $10 million dollar mansions. a fleet of expensive cars, bling and all of the trappings of a successful NFL star. I'd bet he buys his suits off the rack and if he wasn't married to Kristin he'd be wearing sweat pants and jeans 90% of the time. He's got money, he has security but what he doesn't have is a rep for winning the big ones and a ring to prove it and he wants that far more than he wants Joe Flacco or Drew Brees kind of money. As long as the deal is fair and in keeping with what a top ten producer should get a deal like Forte got will be OK with him. He's not out to break the bank and make it hard for the Bears to surround him with players that help him to win. That's not who he is and Bears fans should be happy about that.

As for McCown, the guy was coaching HS football two years ago probably making less than 20k a year. This year he made $940k and while it seems like he's very underpaid based on how well he's done with 11 years as an NFL QB under his belt probably averaging at least a mil a year or more throughout I don't think he's hurting for money either. He's also quite devoted to his family and his spirituality and I believe he's another guy who will be fine with getting paid what the job is worth whether that a mil or two mil or whatever the Bears can shell out for a very good #2 QB.

I may end up eating my words but I really don't think either of these guys will be all that hard to sign next year especially McCown of they can offer him a two year deal with some guarantees. They may end up tagging Cutler but I think more to tread water for one more year than because they're so far apart they can't bridge that gap. He's gonna get around $15 mil a year on a long term deal and they know it and that's about what the tag will cost them so either way works depending on how they all want to play it. Either way I'm 99.999% certain Jay Cutler will be behind center in 2014 and maybe 90% certain McCown will still be his #2.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1