The Josh McCown story keeps getting better: We are witness to a truly remarkable NFL story.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Wolfman

Wolfman

What was he your best man or something?

How is $2 or more for a #2 a hometown discount? His situation may be great here in Chicago, and I hope he does stay; but money's money...next season will very likely his last chance to cash in on a couple million dollar contract....all things being the same money-wise I would expect from to stay Chicago...however, if there is a large gap (like a million or more) between our offer and someone elses....he would be a fool not to take that money and run....I don't know McCown as well as you do, but I don't take him for a fool...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

+1

Regarding Cutler, you've described him well. This is a guy from a tiny town in Indiana, of less than 3000 people. He played at a tiny high school there. I've heard that he came from a very modest family. His dad was a career policeman, and I'd imagine he didn't make big money at all in southern Indiana. So, I agree with you, Jay probably would be a blue jeans and sweat pants kind of guy and isn't going to do the bling & entourage thing and blow his money foolishly. He's got a second child on the way now and a wife who seems like a "keeper" so I could see him wanting to have some stability here in Chicago. Sure, he could go elsewhere and chase the maximum cash - or he could stay here and have a very good career with a solid offense and coaches - and I'd imagine he has some good friends now on this team. Heck, he stuck it out through the bad times in Chicago. Why on earth would you leave, now that he has a dream-job and chance to win some Super Bowls here?

Anyway, good post. I'm sure glad you're back posting here. One thing I like about this messageboard is that folks often don't agree - but they usually keep it respectful and debate issues rather than trash other posters (of course there are exceptions at times.....but usually it's pretty civil here).
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01

Cutler is w/a woman that probably is worth as much, if not more then him, sooooo. But these contracts have very little to do w/how you live your life(PManning doesn't live extravegently and actually built a Hosptial in Indy) but those contracts are ego driven, it says that the team you play for beleives you are a top qb.

And if you think Cutler is going to give up a 16-20 mil contrat for a 10-13 you are wrong, nor should he. And if you think he'd take a 16 mil contract and walk away from a 20mil, you are also dead wrong.

as for Cutler/McCown, if Cutler were to get a 16 mil contract, and McCown got a 2mil contract, that is 18mil tied into your qb position and you still have to pay/replace 3 cb's, a DT, a G, MLB, SAM, a S, and about 10 other guys out of contract; and w/that 18mil you don't have enough to sign everyone. It's going to be some really hard decisions on what and how; and more then likely the Bears are going to be outbid on several players.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

My gut feeling is that he'll get a decent contract offer from the Bears, but it won't be elite money, and Jay & his wife will weigh all the positives/negatives before signing anywhere. I'll bet it won't be a 100% money-driven decision. He'd be a fool to not look at the big picture. Ultimately his career and family goals will encompass more than the contract dollars alone. You make a good point, in that he is probably comfortable for life financially, no matter what this next contract is for. And he'll get a sweet deal from the Bears - they won't low ball him. But it won't end up making him the top QB contract in the NFL like the Ravens did with Flacco either.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68

Exactly^^^
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01

Question is, if Houston or KC or Pitt or Arizona called him for 18-20 mil, why wouldn't he go?Big Ben is looking for a trade, Schaub is on his way out, Smith is good, but you just saw his limitations against Den, Arizona has Palmer for the year(I think). Are any of those teams really less attractive to Cutler compared to Chicago?
  7. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

Arizona has Palm,er on a three year 26 million dollar deal.

Cutler can't go anywhere for 18 to 20 million because we have the franchise tag. But, and this is very important in my opinion for any veteran, if you have good coaches and good weapons on your team, I'd be reluctant to leave for somewhere else that sucks. Add in the fact that if Cutler is the QB that wins a SB in Chicago, he'd be so popular in Chicago he could be the mayor once his playing career is over. Being a SB winner in this town can be worth a lot of money.

For your earlier post, there is no way Cutler's wife has more money than Jay. Reality TV does not pay 10 million dollar a year salaries.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01

Thanks, didn't know AZ put themselves in that deep for Palmer, but Hous, KC and Pitt are no better or worse teams/coaches then Chicago, which was my point. And if he were to win a SB ANYWHERE he'd be set.

You are correct btw, Kristin is only worth about 1.5 mil(looked it up) thougth she had done more then just the reality show.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Only Jay can answer that, but I figure he'll weigh the money AND the other factors too. The money, obviously is important. But I don't think this will be a 100% money driven decision. I really don't.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  10. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

I wish my wife was only worth 1.5 million. :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

But your original point is a good one. These two are not exactly on food stamps.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01

It rarely ever is, but don't discount the importance of it, but he's going to have a lot of people pulling him where the money takes him, his agent, his union etc. To you and me the difference between 13-16 mil is nothing, but for what is at stake for everyone involved, it's huge.

If all things are considered equal team wise, why stay and play in Chiacgo?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

The money is very important, so don't get me wrong here. I understand he's not going to play for an insulting amount of money. But on a personal level, he and his wife will sit down and weigh everything here. Someone mentioned the fact that Chicago is a very special sports town, and he knows this. The players on the last Super Bowl winning team are revered here, and will be until the day they die - and long after that. BTW, Jay grew up a Chicago Bears fan so he's living his boyhood dream as the starting QB here - and winning a SB would be pretty incredible for him. Another point is that his extended family lives only a few hours drive from Chicago. And it sounds like he's settling in here too with friends and growing a family here, expecting his second child. Sure he could go elsewhere, but I'll bet he and Kristen will sit down and weigh ALL the positives/negatives and not just the contract dollar amount.

I'll bet he stays here.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01

JABF, that's a load, they will sit down and talk economics, but we are talking about a 30 yr old and the next 4-6 years of his life, we are not talking about a lifetime, and if you think he won't move from Chicago b/c he loves the town, or it's a "special city" then you are only appealing only to the meathead fanbase. He'll bust out in a heartbeat if the time, place and money are right.

You don't think Pitt, or KC are "special sports towns"? That's like talking about "Bear weather" How many guys have left this "special town" for more money? Jim McMahon and several other guys from that sb team went on to play for GB, think about that, let it sink in. What do you think would happen in Houston if he won a SB there before the Cowboys did? Don't think Hous is a "special sports town" Texas IS football country, and they love it all all levels all the time, and that team, up until this year, has gained a lot of traction in the state. What do you think the economics would be for a SB winning QB in Texas? It's not the "Cowboy's" but it would still be a huge influx of income all over one of the largest states in the country, and holds 3 top 10 cities and another one in Austin that isn't far behind.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

I'm just saying there are multiple factors to consider, and of course money is a biggie. But there is a lot to consider. He has a pretty "ideal" situation right now. It's almost a dream job with this offense now - and a coach I think he finally can respect. And if he's a life-long Bears fan, with family near Chicago, then while that isn't a deal breaker, it certainly could factor in (these would be minor/secondary things, but cumulatively they can matter). It's not an equation with one variable. It's probably more complex than that if the dollar amounts are at least ball park comparable. And if Trestman thinks Cutler is his best option for winning a Super Bowl in Chicago, then they'll figure out a way to keep him here.

And I understand that it's only 4 to 6 years of his life. But it can have an impact upon his entire life. I'll bet he and Kristen will sit down and figure all the positives/negatives and come to a decision. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my thought.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01

It's a factor, but is field turf and condition a bigger factor? Is cold weather(not known for good health a factor) These guys are beyond rich, family near them at this stage means nothing, their family can be w/them or sent away at a drop of a dime.

You are talking like a fan when you talk about him playing for his favorite team, ya it's cool and all, but it doesn't factor in, this is a job end of discussion and you are going where they pay you 1st and where you have a chance to succeed 2nd. I know coaches and other players matter, which is why I ignored teams like Jax and Cleveland Cincy ect, and included teams like Hou KC and Pitt, all of which are teams that w/a QB like Cutler could be considerred playoff caliber teams.

The new coach is huge, but does Cutler really like him? When he sat down w/Trestman the first time the first thing Trestman did was go over all his int's and Cutler said it wasn't a good first impression. If Trestman wants him to limit his agressiveness, does Cutler really consider him a better option then someone where they might be willing to let him just go at it? Fact is Cutler is not "buying in" based on his play, he is still far to aggressive and far to turn over prone for what Trestman is trying to run, and you see it in how McCown is playing b/c McCown HAS bought in.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

I agree, and he will consider all the points, and weigh each one. My only point is that money alone doesn't necessarily drive the final decision. There can be a boatload of other factors that cumulatively can tip the scales in favor of the team he ultimately chooses - if the money is reasonably close. And hey, there may be factors that tip him in favor of new teams. We'll all just have to wait and see how this plays out.
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01

I guess my thing is I don't know that the pay will be that close. I think the Bears are going to give him the best offer, or pull a BU and give him a lowballed(13mil style) contract and then someone like Pitt or Hous, will offer something along the lines of what others are getting(18-20mil).

If it's close and he likes his situation of course he will stay, I just don't think it's a given this is the best place for him anymore then the Bears might think he is the best for the Bears.

But this thread was supposed to be about McCown....let's get it back on track.
    • Agree Agree x 1