The Josh McCown story keeps getting better: We are witness to a truly remarkable NFL story.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 17, 2013.

1. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    It's all fine soul, let's not forget what we're all here for though: our love of Da Bears. I'm more than happy with Josh but I'm going to be ecstatic once Cutty can come back.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    Cutler can win us a game in a "Shootout" and I think Trestman realizes that if he can improve him, he has lighting in a bottle.

Cutler has improved, and I think he is learning during these injuries. How in the world do you not bring him back next year?

Thank you Josh, you have been great (I hope you continue to be play well), but Cutler is the future (at least for next year).

3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,119ß
    Well Josh can, and just did, win a shootout, but what he cannot do is consistantly put up 30+ points, which is what Cutler has the potential to do, and why there is no question as to who the starter is and should be.

The question is next year, is there someone that can replace either Josh or Cutler and do what they can/have done for a cheaper hit to the cap. If the answer is no, you bring them back, if the answer is yes then you let them walk, or in Culter's case FT him.

4. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    McCown has been an absolute steal at $875k this year which is pocket change by NFL standards. Will he cost more to keep? Probably but I'd pay it. Still worth it. A number of teams (us included last year) paid their vet backup $3m+ for nowhere near the production JM has given us. He's also an ideal mentor to have around for a rookie draft pick and a locker room favorite.

Pay Da Man (within reason of course, and his humility leads me to believe he will be very reasonable)

5. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,119ß
    He's humble and reasonable b/c of a contract and knowing there is no where to go. In the offseason, while I don't think he'll get a shot at a starting gig, will he be so humble, or will he go somewhere w/a qb that isn't so entrenched; where an inj could and his ability to succeed could lead to a permanent switch in qb, and not to mention more money. Would you take 800K-1mil if someone asked you to come to them for 4 million?

6. Wolfman

Wolfman
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Josh will take the best contract he can get next year (which will likely be a mix of money and opportunity)...that may be with the Bears or it may be somewhere else...and it has nothing to do with being a humble, reasonable, level headed guy, which he genuinely appears to be....it's simple NFL economics and common sense...there is no reason to expect Josh to give the Bears some kind of "hometown discount"...

• Like Like x 2
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,316ß
    Who is the Vikings starter?

8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,270ß
    This is a no-brainer. The team only plays 16 games in the regular season. How much is it worth to have a guy who can continue to win games, when fragile Cutler is out? How much is it worth to win a few games that most teams lose, when their #1 QB bites the dust? Emery is not stupid. He recognizes that even if he pays Josh McCown more money, it is very cheap insurance for salvaging a season that could otherwise tank. Throwing some more cash Josh's way, is chump change in the grand scheme of winning.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    If someone way overbids us, of course he will leave. That's true of any FA.
    At 35, his chances of becoming a permenanet full time starter are small I would think.
    He's thrived in MTs system where he probably wouldn't elsewhere.
    He's also got 4 great receiving weapons to work with here. Most teams don't have that.
    We will see. I hope he stays.

10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,316ß
    If someone underbids the Bears but offers a starting gig (or competition) he is gone.