The "New" Official 2014 Salary CAP Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dabears, Jan 15, 2014.

1. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    OK Peeps, post it here if you want. I will start by saying we have as of today 11-12 million left in CAP space and need to cut Pep and resign Wooton for a discount. My 2 cents so far. BEAR DOWN!!!!!!!
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Wootton can be used in either a 3-4 or a 4-3 as a DE so, I would agree that he needs to be one of the next signing.

He will not likely attract a huge contract on the open market, but he might want to test the waters.

Peppers needs to go, a lot of people have said we should ask him to take a pay cut, but I'm not sure he makes the team any better at any price.

I hear on this board that the Dead cap space of Peppers can be spread out over the remaining two years of his contract, but I have not seen anything that tells me this is true.

The only thing I could find is http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Dead-money-leaders.html

This talks about a team being able to release two players as a post June 1 designation. This, according to the article, means:

"Only the current year’s proration counts toward the cap with players released or traded after June 1. A team can also release two players each year prior to June 1 (known as a Post-June 1 designation) that will be treated under the cap as if they were released after June 1. With a post-June 1 designation, a team is required to carry the player’s full cap number until June 2 even though he is no longer a part of the roster. The player’s salary comes off the books at that time unless it is guaranteed."

Not sure how much Peppers prorated portion is for this year, but you would think that the Post June 1 dessignation would be the smart thing to do.
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +989 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    That's my understanding too, MD. I believe....
    Peppers is a 99% chance CUT.
    His contract has dead cap of approx $6.8m which can be spread out $3.4m/yr over two years as you described.
    Doing so would add about $13m to this years cap space.
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Peppers is worth more to us gone than he is here.

I guess my question would be what if we trade him? How does that effect the Bears, is it still the same dead cap hit? I'm sure no team in thier right mind would trade for him right now knowing what his contract is like, so I assume we would have to restructure his contract first.
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +989 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    I agree with your first point. Team would be stupid to hang on to a high-cost former star who is in steep decline.

I believe the Bears are on the hook for the dead cap even if traded because it represents bonus money already paid by them in the past. I can't imagine he has any trade value given his age and every team knows the Bears are likely to cut him anyway.