The NFL Is Paying $765 Million To Settle A Massive Concussion Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Aug 29, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    The NFL is paying $765 million to settle a massive lawsuit accusing the league of being responsible for the brain damage of thousands of players, Sports Illustrated reporter Peter King has tweeted.

The settlement agreement says the money will be used "to fund medical exams, concussion-related compensation, and a program of medical research" for 4,500 plaintiffs. That amounts to roughly $170,000 for every player or his estate, King says.

Former and current NFL players accused the league of concealing the risks of concussions, which led to depression, memory, and suicide, The Associated Press reports. Some experts thought their suit would have been worth as much as $1 billion of the suit had gone to a jury trial, according to AP.

Here's what presiding Judge Anita Brody said about the settlement, according to King. "From the outset of this litigation, I have expressed my belief that the interests of all parties would be best served by a negotiated resolution of this case. The settlement holds the prospect of avoiding lengthy, expensive and certain litigation, and of enhancing the game of football."

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-settles-player-concussion-lawsuit-2013-8
  2. golfinbuddy

golfinbuddy Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Wow, that's a lot of money but honestly thought it was going to end up higher.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    good. The truly injured get their help and the succofants that were just looking for a free lunch get nothing.
  4. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +948 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    252ß
    lol succofants
    • Like Like x 2
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    I thought that was someone JA drafted lol.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    couldn't be bothered to spell check, sue me ;p
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    Goodell will have that cash in fine money - by midseason :-)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    Also heard that 50% of the payment happens in the 1st 3yrs and the rest are paid over several years
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    No way there would be a settlement without a "non-admission clause" and a "limited liability" clause. No point settling a case out of court unless it closes the door to further litigation by the plaintiffs.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,002 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    209ß
    Its a start. Hopefully all of the recent bad press about risks of concussions has forced the NFL to take the risk more seriously. And hopefully they continue to do the right thing by investing in technology and medical research to help prevent the risk of it.

To give an example of a sports league doing the right thing, all you have to do is look at NASCAR (yeah yeah, rednecks, driving in circles, etc etc...bear with me here, you might learn something):

During the 80's a biomechanical engineer named Dr. Robert Hubbard developed a device called the HANS (Head And Neck Support) Device, to help prevent head trauma in violent auto crashes. But...no racing league was willing to incorporate it for their drivers, and NASCAR drivers HATED the thing. It took the death of Ayrton Senna before Formula 1 began using it, and it took a rash of deaths in NASCAR, culminating in the death of legend Dale Earnhardt, before NASCAR adopted and later required its usage. If you look at the Earnhardt crash, it does not look particularly violent, and what actually happened was his skull separated from his spine, causing instant death. Since it was a death of one of their most famous drivers, they studied the case for years, and determined a HANS device might have prevented his death, by restraining his head closer to the body. And now the device is mandatory for drivers.

But, they didnt stop there. After a bunch of crashes involving cars flipping over (which are exceedingly dangerous) occurred, they investigated, spent millions on research, and found that when a car spins out, it creates an area of low pressure above the car, which was a risk for flipping the car. So, they came up with alterations to the cars design, including Roof Flaps that interrupted this affect, leading to very few cars flipping over anymore.

Another improvement was the invention of the SAFER Barrier that lines most tracks now, where once they had concrete walls, now they have these barries of aluminum walls with foam support beams that absorb most of the energy of a car impact.

These are only a few of examples of alterations and improvement NASCAR has made over the years to make the sport more safer for both fans and the Drivers, and the end result is now you can see some very violent crashes, and 9 times out of 10, the driver walks away without a scratch to race another day. The investment in safety has lead to (surprise) a safer sport. NFL could do well to learn from this, and use their massive revenue to help fund research and technology that make the sport of Football safer for the players. They have done alot over the years, but concussions are and will be the most dangerous aspect of the game, one they need to focus their intention and investment on trying to reduce and hopefully eliminate someday.
  12. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    well, with this lawsuit being settled, the NFL has basically made sure they can never be sued over this issue ever again
  13. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,450 / 13 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    Not that unusual... Nobody in their right minds would admit guilt while settling a lawsuit. lol

EDIT: Oops... MPbears got there first...
  14. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +948 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    252ß
    Man, don't tell me that. I thought you did that on purpose. Much funnier that way.

Succofants, ftw.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    succofants > sycophants
  16. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +443 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Who do you think is going to pay this lawsuit? There goes your ticket prices. I think I got brain damage from reading all this, I believe I'm entitled to some of this cash. (Where's my tin cup?)