The offense is more efficient with McCown in

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Nov 10, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +340 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    Before anyone loses their mind, let me state that Jay Cutler is the greatest QB in the history of mankind and that McCown is a talentless asshat when compared to the great and omnipotent Cutler. Joe Montana enjoys pretending he is Jay Cutler when he is tossing the football around in his backyard with his grandkids. So, with that having been said: I would rather have McCown QB this offense then Cutler? Why? well umm, because McCown doesn't go full-numbskull as often as Cutler does. Because I happen to trust McCown more than I trust Cutler. Because the offense seems to score more efficiently with McCown. There I said it. Yeah, yean I know, BLASPHEMY. I am hereby excommunicated from the Holy Church of Jay Cutler. So be it. Cutler is clearly the better QB. In fact, Jeff George had all the talent in the world. He was also far superior to McCown. JaMarcus Russell had a cannon for an arm and was a GIANT in the pocket, so he was also superior to McNown. Blah blah blah. You can have all three of them. Give me McCown and a developmental QB upon whom Trestman is willing to stake his reputation as a QB guru. Cutler is never going to lead a team anyplace. I got news for you guys- He is in his 8th NFL season. If he hasn't magically "put it all together" to morph into Tom Brady or Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning by now, it ain't gonna happen. He is who he is, and that ain't nearly good enough. On a related note, Jeff George is still calling league GMs to express interest in returning to the league. Rumour has it that he still has "all the makings of an elite NFL QB" and still feels that he can maximize his vast potential. Rant over.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    You could tell that Jay was altering his throwing motion today due to the groin injury. This loss is on Trestman:

1. For starting an injured QB, when he has one of the best backup QB's this season in McCown.
    2. For poor play calling.

Yeah, I'm calling out Trestman on this one.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +172 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    Jay is a better QB than Josh. He has better accuracy and arm strength. I feel they are similar in the pocket and scrambling. Josh's career stat's are not too impressive. But what I think we can take away from the Josh experiment is that when Trestman follows a consistent gameplan we don't need an elite QB.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    I think that is an excellent point tbear.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,078 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,151ß
    Trestman needs a smart QB that is willing to put his pride and big arm away at times and throw to the open guy, and then when the time comes open up that arm and chuck it deep. But the 1st part is more important then the 2nd. Every coach needs an elite qb, problem is Cutler is not elite and McCown is lower then that.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    Well said. That's 100% right. I do believe, that if you don't have an elite QB in the Trestman offense, you can get by with a guy in the next tier - a smart guy, with solid talent, but not necessarily elite. I guess I'd call that the "Good Tier" but not Peyton Manning great tier.
  7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    373ß
    Josh is the better tactician while obviously Jay has the better arm. If I wanted a football to be thrown through the wall of my house Jay is my guy. IF I want to win the backyard pickup football game at my house Josh is my QB. What Josh has which few QB posses and Cutler has absolutely none of is selflessness. Doing the the thing that is right for the team. Tebow was classic of selfless play like him and Josh know they aren't the best QBs in the world. But what they do know is how to use the talent around them to the best of their ability and getting the most out of those people. That is what these guys posses more importantly it's great leadership which Jay lacks.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    And I'm not trying to beat up on Jay today. He was clearly playing with a torn groin, and then got two NEW injuries (the ankle and hand). It's not his fault he was hurt. It is, however, on the coach for playing a hurt QB when you have a solid backup who is playing very well right now. Trestman has McCown playing about a good as you can ever expect in a backup QB to play (we just beat Green Bay with him at QB). We can win games like today, with him at the helm (until we have a healthy Jay Cutler). I'm just worried now that Jay will have some serious time off due to the groin being re-aggravated unnecessarily. It makes me angry.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tey216

tey216 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Ok...
    I figured this would happen today... I'm gonna say something and I'm not crazy so please here me out.
    I think Jay Cutler has much more ability then Josh McCown, a higher sealing and overall more talent... However Josh McCown is much smater. He is much better at reading defenses pre-snap. Getting the OL and RB's on blocking assignments... He does everything you wish Cuter could do. He doesn't have the arm strength Cutler has.... He doesn't have the accuracy Cutler has. But he is smarter. When Josh comes to the line he does what you imagine a QB should be doing... Adjusting the line, pointing out potential blitzers, etc etc... Cutler tries to beat the defense with sure ability... (I'll throw it into this spot even throw its gonna be double coverage... I can make the throw). I'm not saying sit Cutler and start McCown... But what I am saying is with a Trestman offense you need a system QB. Jay is an ability type QB. He plays based on instinct. In some ways he reminds me of Jeff George. I don't think the Bears should give him a Max contract or anything close to what Flacco got. However, I'm sure that is what Jay is gonna want. Tough decesions for Bears brass at the end of the year...
    • Like Like x 2
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    373ß
    I'm not blaming Jay for playing that all falls on the hc who blew the decision badly. It's the job of the hc to judge his players and play the guys that give you the best chance to win at that specific time. And by the 3rd quarter it was obvious to everyone Jay was done physically and was playing through pain. When you have more than capable QB on the sidelines the decision should have been a no brainer. I know Jay says Josh's play has no bearing on him but that is a load of BS he came back to this game because his career is on the line and he knows it. Obviously he's never ever going to admit it either would I. Because this's a team game and it's all about the team right Jay?

I did learn something today your ankle is located by your balls.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +941 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    509ß
    Sometimes ball control is better than accuracy.

McCown has ball control and awareness. Jay has accuracy.

Which is better? Well in Tresman's offense, so far McCown is king. No one can argue based on what we've seen. McCown has been stellar in every game this year when he played.

So thus far in Trestman's system McCown is a BETTER QB! How can anyone argue that?

Cutler might be better qb vs qb, but you play with 10 other players.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +340 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    Thank you, Ski-Whiz. Thank you.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,633 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    Well, I know one thing. I saw it with my very own eyes (yeah, I know not the best, but they are all I have). We could not score. McCown comes in and scores on the only drive he led when Jay was not able to.

Call it whatever you want, he does move the ball in this offense better than Cutler. Cuter and Trestman did Cutler a disservice today. I do not believe Cutler was 100%.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +340 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    JABF, with all due respect, Cutler deserves a SIGNIFICANT portion of blame for returning too soon! Yeah, Trestman is the HC and the buck stops with him, but let's be honest for a second. Cutler was obviously agitating to play behind the scenes. He KNOWS his body better than ANYONE else (except maybe Kristen). He knew damn well that he wasn't anywhere close to 100%, yet he insisted upon starting against Detroit for his own selfish reasons, so please don't pretend like it is ALL on Trestman. They can share the blame.
  15. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +340 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    Thank you, Bih. Thank you.
  16. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +340 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    Thank you, DaTreeBears. Thank you.
  17. vmx12

vmx12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    jay may have a better arm and accuracy but he make very stupid decisions. That int would have been picked even if it wasn't tipped. I have to admit I feel more comfortable when McCown throws the ball.
  18. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +340 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    thank you, vmx12.
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    Sorry. The buck stops with the HC. He's paid to make these decisions.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +340 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    yes, you are right, he is. And Jay isn't a 9 year-old child, so he is responsible for his own decisions.