The Official Draft Day Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 8, 2014.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    Megatron vs. Conte is a mismatch in both speed and vertical.

Southward is 6-ft. tall, runs 40 in 4.37 and has an amazing 42-inch vertical. Brooks is 4.4 and 38" vertical. Other teams were drafting safeties beyond the second round, so I figure they think some of these guys can play football.
  2. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    Okay, I give Emery credit for at least trying to address the problem....

"Vereen transitioned to safety for his junior and senior seasons, but moved to corner for two starts in his final season. Vereen has also switched between strong safety (7 starts) and free safety (11 starts) It’s unknown whether Vereen will seriously challenge for one of the club’s two starting jobs at safety, but he’ll certainly ramp up the competition there. Vereen posted gaudy numbers at the NFL Combine: 4.47-second 40-yard (second fastest among all safeties), 25 bench press repetitions of 225 pounds (tops among all safeties and corners). So in addition to the versatility and experience of playing every position in the secondary, Vereen possesses speed comparable to the game’s top corners with the strength reminiscent of a linebacker."

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4692104/bears-pick-brock-vereen-131st

Hopefully, Vereen (or somebody) will play well enough in training camp to replace Conte in the starting line-up. Time will tell.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I will give Emery a passing grade on the draft as a whole. What didn't he address? Maybe not to YOUR liking / or order but hit all the nails as a whole Plus his UDFA signings are looking good too.
  4. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    I agree. I went into this just hoping Bears would draft a quality prospect at free safety. I think we got that, plus two pretty good tackles. I don't even mind drafting the punter. A good punter is more valuable than many people believe. The rap against the QB they drafted is that he doesn't have a strong arm.
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +722 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Southward: Average hip flexibility and range. Still developing positional instincts and diagnostic skills. Man-coverage limitations. Dull transitional quickness and closing burst. Liability in man-off coverage. Ordinary production on the ball -- not a playmaker. Marginal feel and awareness. Does not punish or intimidate. Reliability should be looked into. Yeah...he's perfect to cover megatron.

Brooks: Inconsistent tackler -- arrives out of control, does not always see what he hits and will miss some tackles seeking the knockout blow. Is built like a cornerback, sustained a concussion as a senior and durability could be an issue given his aggressive playing style. Minimal production on the ball -- was not a playmaker. Has average hands and leaves some INTs on the field. Could stand to add some body armor and get stronger.

So you want two guys who were inconsistent tacklers to replace our inconsistent tackler as well as one guy who is a liability in coverage and unreliable. Also, conte is never going to be matched on Johnson 1 on 1....again...perhaps take a football 101 course or something? When the gm job opens up in chicago be sure to put my name down for a reference. I'll take the safety we drafted over those two.
  6. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    Well, the GMs of the teams that drafted them had the option to draft the safety we drafted, but they chose Southward (#4 in round 3) and Brooks (#15 in round 3). Vereen was drafted late in round 4. This is not an exact science. All these guys have some negatives on their scouting reports, or they would have been drafted higher. We will see what happens. Anyway, at this point, I am happy with the guy we got.
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  7. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    Hate to give props to the Lions but Megatron v anyone is a mismatch. Doesn't matter if it's Conte or the entire Seahawks secondary. If you are throwing it up to him with an uninterrupted jump he's likely bringing that football down regardless of how good your safety's reach and vertical is.

What you need to stop him (besides pass rush, double team, jam him at the line etc) is the safety or corner who breaks on the ball and makes the play before he does. Smarts gives you way more a chance than just pure athleticism. I hope Vereen has both, but either one makes him better than Conte !
  8. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß

True, but not all mismatches are equal. These guys can run faster and jump higher than Conte, and inches often make the difference between a deflected pass and a TD. I'll be rooting for Vereen in the preseason.
  9. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    How ya combat Megatron(hate that name btw) is to freaking nail him HARD every time he lands.....make him look before he lands, he will start to drop more balls...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    That usually gets most peoples attention...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    How to combat Megatron? Easy. Put Peanut on him. Nobody in the NFL plays him any better than he does.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    If Calvin Johnson is Megatron then we all know Peanut is Optimus Prime. It still blows my mind how underrated he's been basically his whole career. It's not like two years ago he suddenly put it all together. The guy has been a master at his craft for a long time and one of the key cogs on Lovie's D for his entire career.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    Tillman shut down Randy Moss too if I remember correctly back when he was with the Yikes.
  14. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    I can perfectly picture him ripping the ball out of Randy's hands in the end zone on one play. The guy has been a baller for years. I'm glad he's finally getting some recognition but damn, he's been at it for so long where's everyone been?? Obviously not watching the same games we watch.
  15. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    He wasn't that studly cover corner that got all the press guys like Bailey, Revis or Talib do. He's also not a loudmouth self promoter like some of those guys. He's just a guy who knows how to play tough against the best and how to create turnovers. THAT'S his specialty but because they weren't all picks those forced fumbles didn't make the stat column until he forced so many they couldn't ignore it any longer.

He's be far the best and overall most effective Bears CB I've seen in my lifetime and he deserves far more recognition than he's ever gotten but he's such a class guy and team player I doubt that it even bothers him as much as it does us as fans. He's been one of the most consistent CBs in the NFL for a very long time and I hope he can retire in dignity as the Chicago Bear he's always been.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    He did it to all the top WR's also, dude's been a straight up stud for the team it's going to be weird when he's not there anymore. The only time he gets in the news it's b/c of his charity work; until last year. Hopefully he gets his just deserts and gets into the HoF, I don't think it will happen but it should.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Totally agree, if I was on that board I'd be voting and promoting Peanut every year. He's a turnover machine and the definition of a shut down corner. The fact he's a class act should, in my opinion, be even more the reason to give the guy more press.
  18. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +918 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    926ß
    I'm really surprised Shayne Skov, Anthony Johnson, Max Bullough, Kelcy Quarles, Josh Mauro and Jackson Jeffcoat all went undrafted.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    Really surprised about Johnson, thought he was going around 5-4th round and would have been a good pick up by us(if not the Bears have taken two DT's already). Really interesting to see teams value him that low.
  20. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Good example of how our perceived value of players is way off base from how NFL teams see them.
    • Like Like x 2