The Official Flogging Chris Conte Thread.............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 29, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,765 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,375ß
    There seems to be so much interest around here in boiling him in oil and shoving bamboo slivers under his fingernails for one blown coverage that I figured we should have one place to do that in and it was NOT the Jared Allen thread.

Hater's, you line up on the left and wear red. The color of high emotion and anger. Defenders, you line up on the right and wear blue. The color of patience and loyalty. Now all we need is a staff member to flip a coin to see who kicks off to who. :18_1_104v[1]:

:lol3:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    63ß
    I think he is soooo cute
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,765 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,375ß
    Ummmm, that was Gary Fencik Bob. He was the one who made all the Chica's hot. :boobywiggle:
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,755 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    he sucks end of discussion.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    583ß
    I still think he sucks and I do not care which thread it is in.

He is a liability, he is not very fast. I was not impressed with him in 2012 either and actually felt Wright had a better 2012 yr than Conte. In 2013 neither impressed me and if Contes contract was up like Major Wrights was this discussion would be a Mute point as he would be OUTTA HERE.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +879 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    He's afraid to tackle, always late to the ball.... What is there to discuss?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    505ß
    1. I blame JA :-)
    2. I really don't judge Conte by the Green Bay game. That (for me) has NOTHING to do with my assessment of his play during his tenure here in Chicago. Nothing.
    3. I hope he has a good season.
    4. Just because he is not "evil incarnate" doesn't necessarily mean we don't need to get better at the safety position with our starters.

I am not a 1-play reactionary here. I judge the entire body of work with our players. Same with Conte.
    • Like Like x 7
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,765 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,375ß
    Well the red team is beginning to show up on the offensive so I guess the blue team kicked off. Where are the defenders or is all we've got the 2013 Bears defense? LOL
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    166ß
    I'll wade in.

I see CC as a below-average but serviceable starter if need be. Simple as that. Emery has made it clear that competition will be present for his job come training camp and Conte will have to sink or swim. He will either win/regain his starting job or be moved down the depth chart or perhaps even be released outright depending on how the team assesses the S corps as a whole.

It's a little too "convenient" to say he should be upgraded and kicked to the curb. Yeah, no shit, I'd love to have a pro-bowler at all 11 starting positions on D too. That's not realistic. I'm quite certain Emery will be drafting a S to provide competition and new blood in the pipeline though I see the position as less critical in our D than other needs. If Conte were a FA this year like Wright is, I'm sure he would already have been shown the door. But he has one year left on his rookie contract and there's nothing to be gained by cutting him now out of spite.

My best guess/prediction is that he will be in a camp battle and the result of that will be Conte ending up as the #2 FS for this season.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +146 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Me either. I thought he was hot garbage well before that one play. But I'm willing to give him a chance to battle for a spot. Maybe he will improve. I doubt it but there's no harm in seeing what he looks like during camp.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,765 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,375ß
    I'll add in here what I did in response to BSB's post about his B/R rankings among his peers.

According to those rankings in 2013 was the 55th best out 75 and in 2012 the 54th best out of 75. That's obviously not good enough and if he doesn't improve he should be replaced. How much of his 2013 play was affected by the rest of the defense's play and how much is simply his lack of talent I can't accurately say. What I can say though is that he ranked nearly the same in consecutive years and yet many fans perceptions changed from "looks like we finally solved our issues at Safety" to "kill the bastard and kick him to the curb, he sucks". Both perceptions can't be correct can they? No, and they're not.

The problems in 2012 and prior to 2012 were only resolved if Conte continued to improve his ranking and according to this one analysis he didn't. Of course we don't know how his coaches saw him but I think it's safe to say they're aren't pleased enough to just hand him his job back. But they are pleased enough to give him another shot at improving and that's all he gets. A chance to compete to keep his job. If he does keep it an doesn't improve then let's blame Phil not Conte. Emery is the guy who needs to make certain he upgrades the roster and after last year I'm expecting no less including the play at FS and SS.

My point all along has been that the kid is under contract and has started 40 NFL games. You don't just discard that until you know you have a better option. He already has a leg up on the competition if he's got it within himself to improve and if not then we'll know we have a better player there this year because what's he's done so far isn't good enough. Somehow we need to get better at Safety and I figure they'll address that even more than they have so we'll see how it works out. But all the talk about he sucks and he needs to go is just idle talk right now. That isn't gonna happen until somebody shows they can do it better.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    583ß
    I am starting to think they do not put a lot of value in S. Its easy to say he sucks, but obviously he is in the NFL so average to below average as rated 55th best I believe it was. I remember Fencik and Plank and receivers did not want to stretch the field because they would pay a heavy toll. Conte will never put that fear in them. With that said and Emery stating Conte will be competing for the spot only logical conclusion for me is Emery puts less emphasis on the S postion. Thus S will probably not be RD 1 pick.
  13. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +311 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    142ß
    This ^^^^^^ (once again - fine post Soul)

We entered FA and the draft with a ton of holes on the D. We needed an upgrade and depth at almost every position on the defensive side of the ball.

Emery has done well to date in FA and hopefully we will land at least 3 pretty much instant contributers on the defense in the draft. But even with that we will still have areas that need improvement.

Conte is not much (if any) of a cap hit. So until we have a surplus of talent at safety he will be around.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    505ß
    Conte could still turn this around and be a good player for us. The Bears are right in giving him every opportunity to prove himself. It's a similar situation with Shea McClellen - he could turn out to be a good player as a LB for us. Let's be sure before we let guys like this go. We always have players on the bubble like this (all teams do) who should be given an opportunity those first few years to pan out. And a guy can be valuable to the team as a backup. Some may not be stellar starters, but may have value on the depth chart. For every Butkus, Singletary & Urlacher, there are guys like Roach. Guys who will never be stars, but guys we can get some mileage out of.

We recently went through this with our offensive line. We wanted to give J'Marcus Webb, Chris Williams, Gabe Carimi, Omiyale, Edwin Williams etc etc etc., every benefit of the doubt. Like Conte, some of these guys started a number of games for us. We desperately wanted these guys to pan out. Unfortunately players sometimes don't live up to our hopes. The jury is still out on Conte and Shea. I hope they make good. If not, then in 2015 lets kick them to the curb and move on.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,765 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,375ß
    LOL, I could just see Plank trying to play the way he did today. He'd owe the NFL more money in fines than he made in salary. :bah:

We had some great Safeties in those days that's true but they also played behind a fearsome pass rush from the DL and the LBs. Conte and Wright looked much better in 2012 when we actually had a pass rush too. Once that disappeared their weaknesses were exposed but you could have played two All Pro Safeties back there last year and with no pass rush and LBs who could plug their gaps and slow down runners even those guys would have struggled to look good. The whole defense sucked bilge water not just the two Safeties.

Also, guys like Plank, Fencik, Bell and Duerson could intimidate a little better then that any Safety can do know. There was no such thing as a "defenseless receiver" in the 80s' If you came across the middle to catch a pass you were gonna get nailed period whether you caught the ball or not. Those guys could wind up and just launch into receivers. You can't do that today without getting flagged. It's different game today than it was then and IMHO not necessarily a better one.

One other thing of note is that none of those guys were high draft picks. Fencik was an UDFA WR we picked up from Miami and converted to a Safety, Plank was a 12th round pick, Todd Bell was a 4th round pick, and Dave Duerson was a 3rd round pick. There were quite a few Pro Bowls played in by those guys but was it because they were so good or because the entire team was that good and had the pass rush from hell going for them.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +879 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    It's as simple as this, go to youtube and search for "Chris Conte Highlights". There you can see all his awesome plays! (Yeah, I couldn't find any either! lol )
    • Like Like x 3
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    505ß
    I'd be fine if he was just a decent backup.....kind of like the "Nick Roach" of the safeties. That would be better than being a complete bust. Same with Shea McClellan. He doesn't have to be Dick Butkus. Just be an asset to the team, even if it's in a backup role. And if these guys don't pan out this year, then kick them to the curb in 2015.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    494ß
    I want in. Where does one buy bamboo slivers?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    505ß
    I don't think the current CBA allows the bamboo (or even the boiling oil) thing. But I could be wrong. Maybe an equivalent punishment would be to make them re-watch the defense - the entire 2013 season games *shudder* which for me would be even worse than bamboo under the fingernails and boiling oil thing.
  20. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    You're thinking of Deon Ski. He RAN AWAY from a tackle at every opportunity.
    ;)