The Official Flogging Chris Conte Thread.............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 29, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,781 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,380ß
    If Mel really wanted to help Conte improve his game this year, he'd just get the kid a GPS. Just fire up that Garmin and he'd at least be in the same general neighborhood to make plays. Could help him with his angles too. It wouldn't necessarily help him tackle the guy though. But to quote the immortal Lovie Smith, he'd "be close" :-)
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,303ß
    How did they ever get those exemptions through? Were the owners lawyers snoozing? That used to be the bedrock of the NFL. Times are changing...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,303ß
    GPS... Hell, I'd be glad if they gave him a simple zip code map. If he could get in the same zip code he could at least see the play. Or the ball on the ground as it were.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,303ß
    Well.. to be fair, there was a guy running towards him. That could be dangerous.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,781 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,380ß
    Holy cow BIH. It just came to me. Conte could be given a playbook, similar to the one they gave J'Marcus Webb (the stick man one). It could demonstrate important concepts like "watch for the bad man with the football and stop the bad man before the end zone"......with Webb it was stop the bad man from hurting poor Mr. Jay. But you get the drift. This could work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,303ß
    I attribute this to bad coaching. A good coach knows how to motivate his players. Tice made a big mistake giving Webb that playbook. He should have told him that inside the pointy ball was a big mac. You have to knock down the man and then you can have it.

it would have made the famed steel curtain seem like a sheer drape. No one would ever have made it past Webb.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    ALERT CHRIS CONTE SIGHTING
    upload_2014-3-29_11-55-22.png
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,303ß
    hillarious. spiking over the goalpost is a penalty, but spikes-up sex-on-the-field appears to be ok. JABF, did the players sneak that one through too?
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    Be interesting what the emphasis on Safety is.
    upload_2014-3-29_12-3-12.png
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,303ß
    I don't see a problem here. Seems like the employee should be commended. He was just trying to save a little time. If he would have waited for the truck to arrive and back up to the dock, he would have wasted precious minutes.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +713 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,007ß
    I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat after having a nightmare wherein Conte is in the starting lineup again this season. I fear it will get even worse if we go through the draft without drafting a safety in the first couple rounds. Is Emery that crazy? I hope not, but....
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,303ß
    He can always go to driving a forklift. ... but not at my company
  13. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    Add in Atkins to that list. Might be the most fear player the NFL ever saw
  14. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    My take on this is Conte is a below average safety & probably always will be. I don't have any hate for the guy, I just think for this defense to be a top 10 defense we have to have better play from both safety positions. If Conte ends up our starting FS I'll be disappointed we didn't improve at the position & hoping I'm wrong about him. I could see him being the backup & a pretty good STs guy but that's about it. I also agree with others that say since he is under contract you let him compete for a spot on the team & until you get a better FS you keep him around.

So, who do we draft to improve the position. I think most of us would agree that Dix & Pryor are the top FS in the draft, but to get either one of them we would have to use our first pick. Maybe Ward would be there for us in rd 2, maybe he won't. I tend to think he won't but due to his injury status he might fall a bit. But IMHO I think there are several safeties in this draft that would be available in rds 2-5 that would be an upgrade at safety. Below are a few in no particular order.

Deone Bucannon - Washington St - This guy had 6 INTs last year & 15 overall. He's a big hitter that caused 3 fumbles last year & 7 overall. I like safeties who create TOs & he's proven in that area.

Craig Loston - LSU - He's big & fast. Great athlete. Goods hands for the INT & he will take your head off. When I watch his highlight reel he reminds me a lot of Dix & for all we know he might end up better with more experience.

Ahmad Dixon - Baylor - Talk about a hitter. He hits like a LB but also has very good instincts for safety. Best position will probably end up being SS but we could use an enforcer & the kid runs well so maybe he can play both.

Lamarcus Joyner - FSU - Can play safety or corner. He's an explosive hitter for his size with good instincts & a real good blitzer. He might be a bit smaller than ideal but the kid has a thick build to him. Could probably play anywhere in the secondary.

Terrance Brooks - FSU - Another good athlete from FSU who can play safety or corner who can hit & is a fluid runner. Kind of a natural centerfielder.

Ed Reynolds - Stanford - Big safety who is not super fast or overly athletic but reads QBs well & is rarely out of position. Kinda reminds me of old #30, Mike Brown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFc1S6kdtI

Kenny Ladler - Vandy - Another instintive safety who always seems to be in position & causes turnovers. Most things I've read about his kid says he's a good hitter but to me i\he looked very inconsistent in that area on tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9x6p-_qLlI

So these a just a few that I think would be an upgrade over what we have at safety, not just Conte. Some are slotted as SS & some FS by the "Draft Experts" but all are playmakers & I think can play either.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +486 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    Ok, I should catch flak for this but Conte will not be replaced this year. If you understand how defense works then you should understand how absurd it is that he was being put into a position to make open field tackles ON HBs. It's absurd that he finished 3rd in tackles, the real blame was what the hell was going on in front of him. Is he an all-star? No. But if you think he has hit his ceiling before playing out his rookie deal your wrong. He deserves a chance this TC to battle for his job. He is a guy who with a better unit COULD surprise us. Will he be a solid starter? Maybe, maybe not but if you seriously want a young guy with 40 starts cut your making an emotionally influenced statement over one play.
  16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    I dunno Grizz, I have no problem letting him compete for the job but never been that impressed with him. Throw last yr out, Cover 2 you are not suppose to be beaten deep. I did not look up stats but seems good QB's always beat us. They always get that one over the top and we are always one play away. Last yr it was in front of him. I do not care about the live ball on the field and Pepp missing the tackle. The point is he had to make the play then and he has had many other chances to make the play over the top and he doesnt on a consistent basis. If we have to go with him I am a Bear first and will cheer like hell, but I wont cry if he is on the bench.
  17. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Let's see.......you gotta be on the red team right? :rofl2:
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Anywhere they have Panda Bears. Panda eat bamboo shoots. We'll rope 'em while you sneak in sweep up the rest and we'll some slivers up outta that. :3_11_3[1]:
  19. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +964 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    535ß
    Oh no, it's Conte... :D
    • Like Like x 1
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3