The Official Flogging Chris Conte Thread.............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 29, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,612 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    225ß
    Go red team!
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,361 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    458ß
    We'd run out of time out while he dialing it in. Maybe we draw big X's on the field where he's supposed to line up. That was at least half their problem with being out of position last year. Like I said it looked like a Chinese Fire Drill out there before every snap.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,361 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    458ß
    Well there's surely a few to choose from that will go in the 2nd through the 4th rounds. I'm sure we can get at least one and Jimmie Ward isn't even on that list. I think this is a little of what I was getting at when I said we don't have to take a FS in the round one. The current ratings of these guy may not be as great as Dix or Pryor but that the next level this bunch is packed in pretty tight and they would still probably give us more than Conte can. He needs some very stiff competition and IMHO this one place we can get it.

Things may change under Emery but we never drafted a Safety in round one. Mike Brown was about the highest Safety pick we ever made and that was in round two and before that I think all the way back to Richie Petibon and he was actually a QB when we drafted him. It wasn't just Lovie. The Bears have never valued Safeties that high. CBs yes, but not Safeties.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,361 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    458ß

Yeah, the time of possession is definitely in your favor so far. :alright: Here's the blue team getting some sympathy. :lol-027:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,361 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    458ß
    Wow what a coincidence but mine feature Mel Tucker. :4_8_2v[1]: And sheep. I always seem to have Packer fans in mine. :packsheep2:
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

I'm on it!

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    That last play nobody knew what the hell defense we were in. Trestman and Tucker pressers completely contradicted Briggs. Then there was some weird stuff about a late audible by Anderson? Then throw in Peps pathedict lack of effort and the other 6 rushers inability to force a quick throw. No, if you are putting that play soley on Conte you aren't being honest with yourself.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Couple of points. I think it's clear how I feel about conte. Someone explain to me how a guy who was 3rd on our team in tackles is "scared to tackle" and then can we please get over what the safety is supposed to do in cover two because while we show that shell we didn't run a whole of cover 2 in 2012 or last year. I expect there to be competition for conte in camp, and if he isn't as good as that competition fine, but I don't see him as the problem some of you do.
  9. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You can see him shying away from using his shoulder when he's going to make a tackle cause he's so worried about hurting his shoulder again. He's always late in his help coverage and he has 40 speed that's fine for a free safety (4.53 40) but he doesn't use it well on the field. It wasn't just last year that he was bad, he was bad in 2012 to but the rest of our defense was good so it hid how bad he really was.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We could briefly touch on his taking the wrong angles if you like.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  11. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He's gonna look a little better because the rest of our defense will be better. I think one starting spot will come from the winner of a camp battle between R.Mundy and C.Conte and we will get our other starter in the draft and i think R.Mundy will win the spot and play SS.
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,805 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    63ß
    Mel could get him some help with this too.

[​IMG]
  13. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree that every team has their good/great players on defense and then they'll have their average players but i just don't think you should have the average player playing free safety which is your last line of defense.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I always hesitate to jump on a player in this sort of position as it's always so hard to judge whether Conte isn't good enough to play FS, or was it a case of him spending too much time worrying about other people's screw-ups and ended up not taking care of his responsibilities. I can't judge it one way or the other. However, if we go solely by the bottom line, lets just say that it would be a waste of time to ship him north when he gets cut.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,361 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    458ß
    But on that last play they weren't in Cover-2. Conte was up on the line and had the receiver who took the quick out. Bowman had the deep coverage because of who was in the slot. That's what Anderson changed just before the snap and why you saw Conte head for the sideline until he saw Bowman wasn't covering the slot and the it oh fuck time.

Grizz nailed it here and that's what the coaches said in the post game by way of an explanation. It didn't come from Conte. He said nothing and took responsibility for it. All he said we that he didn't get the call that made the change. If Bowman heard it , and it's obvious he did, then why didn't he check off with Conte to make sure they were straight? Put Peanut in there and it probably doesn't happen. It was a bad luck game and we screwed up a lot on defense, the whole defense, or it never would've come down to that in the first place.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,361 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    458ß
    Wow, 55 posts. I never realized flogging Conte would be so popular. :laughing-019:
  17. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I would leave him alone for now, give him a break, he can turn it around, he has the attributes, pretty decent tackler, he can be a different player this season
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,361 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    458ß
    And I think that's an excellent point Bill. None of us can. They could have released him to but they didn't so Emery and the Coaches must see something there worth keeping around. If all he did was end up as a backup he'd be better than Steltz in coverage. I don't buy everything that B/R ranking says either and that's not the one that Emery and his staff work from for sure.

People may forget that until his Sr. year in college Conte was a CB so he's still on his learning curve as a FS and his reaction time is poor. He actually does have the speed and the range to play the position. I would be thrilled if we could upgrade him because we'd have a backup with 40 games worth of starts and far better depth than we have now.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,361 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    458ß
    Look like the blue team is making a late comeback here! :cheer2:
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß

Yep. This^^^Here's the thing. We need to get the hell over that last play. If you really want to dwell on it go watch it again and try to tell me Conte was at any fault. Loose the idea Conte had the deep part of the field. this was a fire blitz with 0 coverage behind it. I actually give Tucker credit for this call and with a little effort from Pep (or he could have been his lazy self, but being lazy AND selfish he got blocked from across the formation and then lost contain) we take him down. Conte actually probably breaks up that pass if Pep tries because that 2 yard stick out was the only route that had broken when the pressure SHOULD have got there. No, had Conte turned and bailed with the fly then the same people would crucify him for leaving that stick wide open for an easy conversion. Sometimes ya just cant win.
    • Like Like x 1