The Official Flogging Chris Conte Thread.............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 29, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +762 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    It is very clear from the Hawk audio cover that the producer is a baseball guy and doesn't know a damn thing about football. You want to tell what a DB is thinking? Look at his hips. Watch from the 2nd angle Conte's first 3 steps and how his hips are angled and then look at Bowmans. Bowman is open to the middle of the field. His first 3 steps are backwards. Conte has closed hips to move laterally and jumped all over that 3 yard stick. Weather he had the right or wrong call he didn't "blow" that coverage. He thought (correctly or incorrectly we just don't know) he was in a shallow wing 1. This pretty much confirms what we inferred from the presser and the phantom Anderson audible. Conte was clearly not playing man and judging by the way Major came flying in and slammed that drag route neither was he. Now I don't know what exactly was the call, none of us do. Briggs said they were in a zone in the presser after the game and Tucker said they were in man. Peppers is the one who looks absolutely terrible on that play and the rest of the jailbreak sucked too.

Ok off topic but freeze the tape at 0:07 seconds. Look at Shea and look at Peppers. If Pep dosent take the lazy way out and stuffs that desperate diving attempt at a cut block he is 2 steps from a sack and is going to force a flat footed throw. If Pep dosen't take the selfish way out and at do that jumping lunging thing that he did (Look at Shea, he is in proper position for a blitz sending 4 inside) then he can feed Rodgers into the other 5 rushers. Count the rushers and count the blockers. 6 on 6, and Rodgers had about 7 seconds before he threw that ball. That in itself is absolutely terrible (for god's sake, GBs line sucks). Bottom line of this entire post. If your trying to blame it on one person, you are either lying to yourself to justify the loss or you can be labeled as a meathead fan (not saying anyone on here, more or less the water cooler morons)

thanks BS for the vid. Shows some good angles.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,446 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    I agree. To be honest, I'm not as upset with the defense in that game as I am with the overall poor performance of the defense over the course of most of the entire season. Same with Conte. By that last game, our defense was like a wounded animal. If it were a horse they would have euthanized it by that point. Peppers, Shea, Conte & the rest of the crew had a rough year. I'm over it now.

We now have some new players (and more coming in the draft) so I'm just looking forward to seeing how this defense performs moving forward in the new season. Everybody remaining on the roster has a "clean slate" and fresh start in my mind. I don't understand why folks are fixated on one play from Conte. He under-performed all season long IMHO & looked like a lost puppy out there on many plays spanning the entire season. Surely we can do better at safety this year, even if it's still Conte out there - but a better performing Conte.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß

Yep, the past is done. Learn from it and move on. I feel the same way with Tucker, Conte, Shea all of em. Start fresh with TC battles and go from there not much more can be done.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,446 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    And I do have confidence in Emery and Trestman to get the defense fixed. I'll trust Emery and Trestman until they prove they do not deserve the trust. Trestman has only been here 1 season. I do believe he'll get it right on defense and we will be surprised by how good the D will be. We all talk about Trestman being offense-minded, and he does seem gifted there. But that doesn't mean the guy is stupid about defense. I'm looking forward to the coming season, and seeing a pretty good D out there to go with our great offense.
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Now look at that video clip that you posted and you'll see exactly what I mean. Conte is at the line not playing deep cover. As they drop into coverage Conte backpedals a few steps then heads directly for the receiver who runs the short out to the sideline because he doesn't have the speed to match the slot deep. He and Bowman were supposed to switch off coverage which left Bowman with the slot. Bowman picked up the call which was an all out rush with man coverage and Conte didn't.

With Cobb in the slot against Conte that's a mismatch right there and either that switch to man coverage should have never been made or Tucker call time and puts Bowman on Cobb where he has speed to match him and a 3"-4" height advantage. Pep beat his man at the line then allow him self to get chipped by a cut block an loses contain. I doubt the Pep of two years ago would have missed that sack and the contain. So the defensive play call set them up for a mismatch and a great QB saw it an took advantage but before he could even do that he had to avoid Pep's rush and as he does frequently against us he did. Pep has help to the inside so he never should have lost contain.

My point BSB is this play was just one more example of fuck ups in coverage that were happening all season long. Either Tucker couldn't scheme it right or teach his scheme correctly because it was happening every game, not just this one. Conte made some bad plays, that's true, but after seeing what happened confirmed by what Trestman said about was this one of them? Allowing that mismatch wasn't Conte deal. It was either Anderson's for not realizing what that call could do or Tuckers if he waggled it in as an audible. The bottom line is that as usual there's more than one guilty party. One person not doing their job correctly can make a whole lot of people look bad and that can happen when you play a lot of inexperienced people.

As for Hawk, he's baseball guy and an over emotional cripple at time too. I probably know twice as much about Bears football as he does. Let him call Sox games and he's in his element but football, nah. I just wonder that if he knew what the call was that created that if he'd even know enough to retract what he said. Hawk's call influence a lot of people into the Conte hatred and half of them haven't even bothered to look at that replay to see that it confirms exactly what both Conte and Trestman explained about it. It was a major league fuck up but it was not all Conte's fault.

Can you see that now?
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,638 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    902ß
    i agree that Conte should not be crucified on the basis of this game. However, there is strong consideration based on his body of work for the year.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,638 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    902ß
    Question...
    Is that Mel with the dog?
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,252 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
    Speaking of a S draft pick, I'd love to see Deon Buchannon (sp?) in a Bears uni. He's been a productive starter for 3 years, is 6'1" 210, ran a 4.49, and should be around in the mid-2nd. Mundy and him would be our starters with CC relegated to the bench (you all can throw overripe tomatoes at him then lol).

Donald--Buchannon would make me very very very happy in 1-2.
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +762 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    my whole point is its not a single occurrence. Yes the video reveals it was blown coverage but somebody needs to make a frickin play. Tucker, CB's, Safeties, etc, they have meetings, to prevent this crap from happening. Not just the Packer game but some of the other ones I posted show a trend. Trends like this our BAD things. To put it simply why are we not debating either Peanuts ability to cover players. Because we know he can get the job done and do it well. The mere need for this conversation shows at the least the need for growth and competition. I posted other articles as well prior to GB game and missed opportunities. I would love to see Conte prove me wrong but everything I have seen says otherwise . I may not be a pro scout but I know a weak link when I see it. Even Major Wright was generally ranked higher than Conte, go to NFL stats and pull it up. Nobody wants Wright, NOR do I , so why would you want Conte? What has he done but miss tackles and blow coverage. I mean even a blind man can find the dinner table, Conte gets a interception here and there but I see it more like the blind man, its not his unsurpassed skill, its more the law of averages over time. I can make a science project if you all like but its more than the packer game. He makes as many bonehead plays which offset the good. Gives up a TD and comes back with a INT. Just get the INT and I will be happy and quit giving up the TD.
  11. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,200 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    I'd like to think Conte can salvage and up his game. It's a shame he doesn't have perhaps someone like a Brandon Marshall on the defensive side of the ball to work out with in the off season. I'm hoping he's one of the most improved players this season (McC being the other).
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    Oh, Jesus Christ, it was already established (and re-established((and re-re-established))) that Briggs called a fire blitz, but screwed up on an audible.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,200 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    Oh come on you know there has to be over-analysis and an entire treatise written. Can't just say dude sucks and move on
  14. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Then either the teacher can't teach or the students were asleep in all of those meetings then because shit like that went on all year long, but it did not go on under Lovie's regime when Lovie coached the Safeties along with Gil Byrd. Hoke usually coaches the CBs. So who coached the Safeties. Ummmm......could it have been the same guy who played Safety in college and was the DB coach for Cleveland before becoming the DC in Jax? These are the same two Safeties who in 2012 made us think we'd finally solved our problems at Safety. Now one's gone and according to many who wouldn't know a zone defense from man coverage if I drew it up for them, the other is total garbage and they want him gone too.

I don't care what the NFL stats say. The coaching staff graded Conte out higher than Wright last year and they said that exactly. I didn't just make it up. Maybe that's why he's still around and Wright isn't and that should be especially true since Conte got a huge bump in pay to $1.4 mil this year. So if they thought he was worthless why not cut him and pick up another mil or so in cap space. They could have found another Safety for that kind of money. Major Wright made a little less than that last year and they didn't want him back at any price. It think we've also covered the reasons for at least some of those missed tackles and mistakes in coverage too. When you're playing FS and the last line of defense behind 7 blocks of Swiss cheese and a SS whose even worse than you are you're gonna get blamed for even more bad plays like this one that weren't necessarily all your fault.

When I say this I don't mean it to apply strictly to you BSB. I think you make some great posts and try in every way to provide support for what you post but in this case I think you may be slightly off target. Not that I think Conte is all that and a bag of chips nor do I think that if he can't play better he not gonna lose his job, and he should. I also believe we need to get two young Safeties this year. What annoys the ever lovin' shit out of me though are these idiot Bears fans who say they'll puke if Conte is out there again. This almost entirely because believe he and he alone lost the GB game.

If they knew a God damn thing of value about football, or took the time to learn like some have, instead of simply acting like f'n sheep and following the comments of that know nothing assclown Hawk Harrelson (who was not much of a prize as a BB player either) they might have understood what happened on that play and why. No wonder Urlacher called them idiots. Some are and they shouldn't be insulted by it either. If the shoe fits wear the f'n thing and then go out and learn something about the game and maybe gain a little more insight watching. Beats chugging beers and swallowing saaaaasage samiches whole. Those are the fans who really annoy the fuck out of me.

:soapbox: Rant complete.

[​IMG]
    Christopher Conte
    Safety
    3 years
    25 years old

Drafted:Round 3 (#93 overall), 2011
    College:California

Current Salary Information
    Contract: 4 yr(s) / $2,603,600 Signing Bonus $533,600 Average Salary $650,900 Guaranteed: $533,600 Free Agent: 2015 / Unrestricted
    YearBaseS. BonusMisc.Cap HitDead
    2011 375,000 133,400 - 508,400 533,600
    2012 465,000 133,400 10,000 608,400 400,200
    2013 555,000 133,400 10,000 698,400 266,800
    2014 1,421,000 133,400 10,000 1,564,400 133,400
    2015 UFA
    • 2012-14 Workout Bonus: $10,000
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    Jesus....wow so much hate? fack been gone half a day and you all give 2 more pages? I cant read all this...I just got over the whole thing and downloaded some 85 Bears season games DONT BRING ME DOWN!!!!!!! I can't, won't, don't wanna relive Contegate anymore!!!!! on a side note I heard he gives good rubs to the real players
  16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +762 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    I never thought we had safety solved after 2012 and if you did I guess thats your opinion. Conte is still on his rookie contract, so not sure the Bears thought they had it covered either. I was not impressed then and am less impressed now. No its not a single play, its the body of work over the last few years that I see him as a liability and not an asset. JMHO. Nothing can be written to change my opinion, it will have to done on the field.
  17. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +762 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,084 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,154ß
    So we let the guy w/a positive grade walk after last season but people are okay w/the guy w/a neg grade(from 2012) is okay to be penciled in as a starter gotcha!

For the record I wanted both S's replaced last year, was happy to see Wright walk, and am seriously hoping that someone can detrhown Conte. Mundy isn't probably the one to do it, but he could not be worse.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +762 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    Guess the whole world is wrong. Glad I know where to go and get it right now.:thumbsup24:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,446 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    I just figure our safeties have been sub-par in recent years. Some fans want to boil all of this "safety stuff" down to a single play in the Green Bay game, when in reality we've had mediocre (at best) safety play for years now. This is where I'm coming from on the topic of Conte. I couldn't care less about that one play against Green Bay because it was a problem with our defense - not a problem with one man. We really need to upgrade THE POSITION and both starters. Some want to believe Conte is just fine, but I believe that is setting the bar too low for a starter. But this is where it's okay for fans to differ IMHO. Some fans are fine setting the bar lower. Some want it higher. And before somebody trots out the old "well you can't have all-pro's at all positions" thing, I'd just point out that there is room between a Wright/Conte and a pro bowl level player. I don't expect pro bowl talent there (although it would be nice). I'd just like to see something better than Wright and Conte who seemed totally lost much of the time - all season long, (and this predates last season). I understand that some fans set the bar lower at the safety position, and I respect that, but don't agree. I don't think that is expecting too much to want to upgrade the safety position, especially if we truly want a a respectable defense.

But folks seem to be wanting to turn this into a thing where fans are "hating on Conte" because of 1 bad play. I don't think any people on this messageboard are doing that. We have eyes, and understand the game enough to know when a position needs upgrading. The entire thing reminds me of the old arguments over the offensive line when people would try to believe guys like Webb, C.Will, Carimi were okay OL. Basically we were trying to set the bar too low. Do we now have 5 Pro Bowl OL? No. Do we have better overall talent at the positions on OL? Yes. Why is it delusional to want an upgrade at safety then? We can do better there. I think we should. And this has nothing to do with Conte hate. It has nothing to do with 1 rotten play on defense in 1 game against Green Bay. Give us credit for being smarter than that.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 3