The Official Flogging Chris Conte Thread.............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I have to agree with soul. Is a good move to hand Conte the job and add no new talent to compete with him in camp? Uh no, thats not a good idea. Are we utterly doomed because Conte has clearly reached his peak in year 4 and judging off of just last year he sucks and will always suck? Nope, thats nowhere near true either. Yes, add a reasonably high and reasonably talented draft pick to apply some serious pressure to him via TC. If Conte wins, and he very well may then I'm not going to be like some and throw a big huge fit. I'm not going to watch every defensive play and just foam at the mouth waiting for him to screw up so I can bash him. If he is really that bad then a 2nd-4th rounder should have no problem beating him out right? I think the ONLY likely to beat him out would be Dix, Pryor and MAYBE a few tier two guys (ward ect.) But even if one safety impresses there is no gaurentee that it wont be Mundy who gets beat out. Just gimme a clear camp battle. Is it possible Conte loses his job? Yep. Is it also possible that Conte wins his job and has a breakout year? Yep that's just as likely. Whats done is done, we can only go forward from here.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,187 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    532ß
    Good points.

I think the common thread here is that most folks just want the position to be better than in past years. Period. If that is Conte (playing better) I think everyone is fine with that. If he can't play better, then yes, we need to upgrade the position. I don't think that is "Conte hate" but rather fans wanting to see better play at the position - just like some fans wanted a better offensive line, and we finally got that. I agree with you, that we need to see good competition, between quality players, in camp this year. I'm fine if Conte plays well (I'd be thrilled in fact......nobody wants a player to bust). But many Bears fans do want better play at the safety position this year. I think that is do-able. I don't think this is "Conte hate" by wanting the position improved - a position that has been sub par in recent years.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I agree with everything except the bolded. There are a few people who have some serious spite due in large part to blaming him for what happened on the last play. If you truly understand what your looking at, (and most here do IMO) then you see the utter failure of the entire unit. You can pull up any "conte lowlight" from this year and probably see the same thing. Utter failure of the entire unit. Don't care how its done or who it is just give us a better unit. I agree with that whole heartedly.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,760 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
    But Conte hasn't been handed the job, where has anyone on the team said who the starters are? All I have heard is that Emery and Trestman are going to get younger and have competition.
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,397 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    514ß
    That is very true. S is wide open. And I am willing to bet Ric's next 10 paychecks that we will also have some competition from the draft in the mix. :lol-027: It is not even close to being over.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,187 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    532ß
    One good thing I just thought of Griz, is that the arrow is sure pointing up for the defense. I'm impressed with Emery so far. He has been giving the team a nice upgrade since he's been here, team-wide. I don't expect him to be perfect, and he has made a few mistakes IMHO, but overall he seems to be a good GM. This will be his 3rd season here, and he's done a lot in the time he's been here. I'll bet the draft will be another good one too. With this in mind, I figure if the worst we have to argue about on this messageboard is Chris Conte, then we're doing pretty well, overall as a team. Should be a great year.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,187 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    532ß
    Then are you saying "there's a lot of football left to play" and the "the sun will still come up in the morning" BIH? I agree with that. In fact, "I like our chances" with this 2014 team :-)
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,760 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
    Exact...wait wat?!?!
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,397 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    514ß
    LOL... Sorry Ric. it was just too risky to bet my own and the reason I went with 10 was that I wanted it to be meaningful.... :lol-032:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +683 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    595ß
    I do not recall the coaches grades from last year nor do I care. Its just fodder to make it set up your Conte bump in pay which has nothing to do with it unless they had a crystal ball when they drafted him. He is still on his rookie contract.:10_9_137[1]:

upload_2014-3-30_14-1-37.png
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +491 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    169ß

Listen, if you're going to have a signature about arguing with idiots, insinuating you're smarter than they are, you might want to use the correct usage of "their".
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +683 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    595ß
    Was wondering if anybody was going to catch that. :13_4_9[1]:
    • Like Like x 2
  13. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß

I don't know, after watching the Highlights, I am not that impressed with any of them. Seem to use their speed to recover/ make up ground. Yes that is good, but in the big league that is countered. Most INT's where just really bad passes. I will cut the rant short. I want a Safety that wasn't thrown at. Covered so well no one threw at them,if its a first round pick.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He's done such a fine job that we actually signed MD Jennings as a potential replacement. That says it all.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    You know Henry you're probably right about this. The original stuff I heard and read said it was a call Anderson made but after looking at that video Briggs was at ROLB where he usually is and Anderson at LOLB where he usually is and with Briggs on the field it makes a whole lot more sense that he made the call. Of course that hits into the theory that one of the problem with the defensive calls last year was that Briggs didn't have the experience he needed to have calling them because he always had Urlacher to do it. I think Briggs is an outstanding player but as a defensive strategist he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. His interviews kinda prove that.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    I wasn't just my opinion though. It was the opinion of quite a few Bears fans and most of the media who followed the team. If you look at their stats in 2012 they weren't bad and then look what happens in 2013. The number of tackles they make increases by almost 50% and that was the ones they actually made. There isn't a stat for the missed ones but I'm sure it's significant for both. In both cases their picks and passes defensed went way down too. A lot of that is reflected by just how bad the front seven played.

As I see it now we've already replaced Wright with Mundy and signed one vet competitor for Conte although how strong that competition will be as anybody's guess. If he's no better here than in GB then he's probably not even as good as Conte as a starter. I'm sure we'll add two more rookies through the draft and UDFA and maybe even another vet off the waiver list. So if he wins the job he'll have earned it at least in camp.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß

Now does this article not confirm exactly what I've been saying and what I just posted. Sure looks like it to me. :D

AND, I posted this before I even read that. I'm not a complete idiot you know. Just half a moron. :4_15_1[1]:
  18. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,181 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    63ß
    This thread will be fully vetted in 15 more pages.
    :10_4_1[1]:
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    Probably the two lowest graded vet Safeties in the NFCN. Well GB didn't have much of a defense either so it's convenient enough to use the same excuse for both I guess. ;)

What we may well have here is Conte and Jennings competing for the backup roll and a rookie starting. It all depends on how the draft goes but one or another there's gonna be a shake up back there.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß

I wasn't expecting this much action when I started it shorty, honest. I just wanted the discussion out of the Jared Allen thread. I guess the emotions about Conte's prospects still haven't settled down huh?