The Official Flogging Chris Conte Thread.............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I have to agree with soul. Is a good move to hand Conte the job and add no new talent to compete with him in camp? Uh no, thats not a good idea. Are we utterly doomed because Conte has clearly reached his peak in year 4 and judging off of just last year he sucks and will always suck? Nope, thats nowhere near true either. Yes, add a reasonably high and reasonably talented draft pick to apply some serious pressure to him via TC. If Conte wins, and he very well may then I'm not going to be like some and throw a big huge fit. I'm not going to watch every defensive play and just foam at the mouth waiting for him to screw up so I can bash him. If he is really that bad then a 2nd-4th rounder should have no problem beating him out right? I think the ONLY likely to beat him out would be Dix, Pryor and MAYBE a few tier two guys (ward ect.) But even if one safety impresses there is no gaurentee that it wont be Mundy who gets beat out. Just gimme a clear camp battle. Is it possible Conte loses his job? Yep. Is it also possible that Conte wins his job and has a breakout year? Yep that's just as likely. Whats done is done, we can only go forward from here.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,294ß
    Good points.

I think the common thread here is that most folks just want the position to be better than in past years. Period. If that is Conte (playing better) I think everyone is fine with that. If he can't play better, then yes, we need to upgrade the position. I don't think that is "Conte hate" but rather fans wanting to see better play at the position - just like some fans wanted a better offensive line, and we finally got that. I agree with you, that we need to see good competition, between quality players, in camp this year. I'm fine if Conte plays well (I'd be thrilled in fact......nobody wants a player to bust). But many Bears fans do want better play at the safety position this year. I think that is do-able. I don't think this is "Conte hate" by wanting the position improved - a position that has been sub par in recent years.

#82 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    I agree with everything except the bolded. There are a few people who have some serious spite due in large part to blaming him for what happened on the last play. If you truly understand what your looking at, (and most here do IMO) then you see the utter failure of the entire unit. You can pull up any "conte lowlight" from this year and probably see the same thing. Utter failure of the entire unit. Don't care how its done or who it is just give us a better unit. I agree with that whole heartedly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,163ß
    But Conte hasn't been handed the job, where has anyone on the team said who the starters are? All I have heard is that Emery and Trestman are going to get younger and have competition.

5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,973ß
    That is very true. S is wide open. And I am willing to bet Ric's next 10 paychecks that we will also have some competition from the draft in the mix. :lol-027: It is not even close to being over.

6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,294ß
    One good thing I just thought of Griz, is that the arrow is sure pointing up for the defense. I'm impressed with Emery so far. He has been giving the team a nice upgrade since he's been here, team-wide. I don't expect him to be perfect, and he has made a few mistakes IMHO, but overall he seems to be a good GM. This will be his 3rd season here, and he's done a lot in the time he's been here. I'll bet the draft will be another good one too. With this in mind, I figure if the worst we have to argue about on this messageboard is Chris Conte, then we're doing pretty well, overall as a team. Should be a great year.

7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,294ß
    Then are you saying "there's a lot of football left to play" and the "the sun will still come up in the morning" BIH? I agree with that. In fact, "I like our chances" with this 2014 team :-)

8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,163ß
    Exact...wait wat?!?!

9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,973ß
    LOL... Sorry Ric. it was just too risky to bet my own and the reason I went with 10 was that I wanted it to be meaningful.... :lol-032:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,247ß
    I do not recall the coaches grades from last year nor do I care. Its just fodder to make it set up your Conte bump in pay which has nothing to do with it unless they had a crystal ball when they drafted him. He is still on his rookie contract.:10_9_137[1]:

upload_2014-3-30_14-1-37.png