The OFFICIAL Jags game reaction thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Aug 14, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,947 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    959ß
    I had felt better before I read it.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,534 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Does that involve some sort of slack jaw?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,534 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    I'm not sure anyone is really looking for game planning or any real chess matches out there. I think just solid play where the pass rushes, secondary coverage abilities, catching abilities, reading and reaction abilities of the QB, Lines, and D are seen. Not to mention ST play (which it's best we actually didn't mention).

Just speaking for myself, IMO you can still see an awful lot about the personality of a team out there, regardless of game planning.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +647 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    324ß
    Well the proverbial writing is on the wall. If this D-line and LBs don't show us anything more than what we saw last night it's another long F'dup season. ST needs FA fast that can catch the ball there was a reason Bmarsh was catching punts during practice and wasn't by accident. There are major problems in JoeD's world and the shit is just starting to hit the fan.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,534 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    I do that to people...
  6. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,534 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Good point on Sutton. I agree
    A couple of other things I missed....
    RB depth looks to be very good.
    Bostic is starting to show flashes, which is good.
    Shea, not so much yet, but he was in several plays. He needs to get his confidence up. Hopefully he will
    Bottom line for me is I saw an average team with excellent pass blocking.
    I did not see a top offense out there, nor did I see anything better than an average D. At this point, I'm not still too concerned, but I do not expect the ghost of the 85 defense to be resurected any more. After the Tucker talk, I was hoping for some very agressive play, but now my sights are more set on an average D that can play mistake free and elevate themseves into a good D that way rather than by dominating play. Not sure that is enough, and I'm not sure that they can't get a lot better. Just my impressions from the second preseason. Not worth too much...
  7. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    Pleasant surprise -- TSN carried the game and I got to watch the entire thing.

Now I see why you guys don't want Weems. Really uninspired return game, just ran into the arms of the tacklers. Blown route, fumble, invisible when not blowing routes. One good block and the TV guys were patting him on the back. The guy seems to get a lot of media love (lots of articles anointing him as the return guy). I can't understand why, unless their little minds are totally gripped by his one good year in Atlanta.

Hard to judge the D when they kept extending Jag drives with penalties. Overall, except for a couple of runs and a few receivers that weren't covered, a decent effort. LB pass coverage would be my worry, though that could also be a case of a lack of adjustment to the Jag's audibles.

Pass protection was outstanding, run blocking was non-existent, though as someone pointed out, Cutler wasn't using audibles. So the best we can take away from this, when the Jags were lined up for running stopping, they did. Mano a mano, the O-Line could not make holes. Does not bode well for short yardage situations.

ST downfield coverage has some sort of lane issue or the first guys downfield are too easily blocked, as the Jag returner always seemed to start with a lane to work with. The opposite of the Bears return game where there was no lane and no imagination for what to do next. Lets hope we see CWill next week with a 100% hammy.

McMannis and Ola were the two guys I thought played above their status. I watched Ola on some plays and he looked sharp in pass protection. He played both LT and RT, and except for the one penalty, he looked comfortable in both. McMannis seemed to be in the play every time he was out there.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,947 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    959ß
    That's what she said.

badum bump!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +321 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    217ß
    nah, it's cool Bearsinhouston. I actually agreed with much of what you you had to say, so I figured that I should share it with everyone else in the postgame thread!
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    267ß
    How many times would our d have been off the field had they not had one of those bs calls they are emphasizing now? I saw some good things, I saw some bad things....which is what I would expect in the second pre-season game. Had the defense ACTUALLY GAME PLANNED for this game I'm sure we would have been more prepared for and looked better against jacksonvilles no huddle. Everyone needs to relax.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,947 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    959ß
    That's my think Butkus, 1 guy(Hayden) made the D look worse then it actually was.

Got one person saying they weren't agressive enough; but the team was bringing lb's up to pass rush or attack the run constantly. Does anyone expect them to blitz 100% of the time? How much more agressive can you want? I actually thought the agression was one of the reasons they looked so bad, the LB's were out of position andunabl to make up the space between the CB's leaving easy pitch and catch situations.

I don't think that's going to be an issue in the reg season when they are actually game planning.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,534 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Yes, I sure they would have been much more prepared. And we would have looked MUCH better seeing as the Jaguars didn't game plan either, we would have had a distinct advantage.
  13. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +678 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    792ß
    We can hope that there is some improvement as they get more experience playing with each other. Also, I assume they are holding back some of their more sophisticated stunts, blitz packages, etc. for the regular season. With the Bears offense, we don't need the D to be great -- just respectable, average NFL defense to be competitive in the division.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,534 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    oh, I'm sure we are. At this point I think it's more fundamentals. Two lines are lined up against each other and they are looking to see if the linemen can open holes, if they can protect the QB, practice jeying off of each other, etc. On the D, the same thing, can they get to the QB, how is their technique, is the discipline there, keeping penalties down, stuff like that. With the WR's, can they run the routes, catch the ball, seperate, etc.

Neither side is game planning, so IMO, it is same-same. game planning should not be an excuse for us as it is not for them. Neither side is doing it at this point. It's just how are they playing against another team? Are they physical, getting that experience together as you say, etc.

Anyway, that's my take.
  15. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +321 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    217ß
    EXACTLY Bearsinhouston. Neither team was "game planning" last night, so that is not an excuse for shoddy fundamentals.
  16. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +927 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    488ß
    Mel Tucker has had his mulligan year.

I don't see the spark or energy.

hell Jared Allen made a great tackle for a loss and not one person approached him.

I still smell last year, with new players. So it must be tucker, although maybe he will bring something different when I counts.
  17. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +321 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    217ß
    I am afraid that you are correct, ski-whiz!!!!!
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    267ß
    Yeah...they probably wanted to work on some blitz packages this game...see how they looked.
  19. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    267ß
    What fundamentals were shoddy specifically?
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,947 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    959ß
    That and they were looking to see how the LB's were in pass coverage, and they(Bostic/Shea) were found lacking; no surprise. Those 2 need the reps and need to learn their assignments, but that's not going to happen quickly that's what this PS is about. This live action will get the film the team needs to try and address the problems