The OFFICIAL Jags game reaction thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Aug 14, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    566ß
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    I don't want to overreact to a meaningless preseason game but I got a touch of that queasy I-hate-Mel-Tucker-wanna-punch-him-in-the-mouth-and-shitcan-him-now feeling last night. I remember it well from last year but was told it was all "old players and injuries" so I should shut up and wait. I'm waiting patiently still but last night was not encouraging. That was NOT a top-tier offensive roster we were facing.

At least Tucker can lay claim to a respectable PS week 1 performance which DeCammilis can't. The ST looks really really bad outside of Gould and O'Donnell. Weems needs to be gone immediately. And we need someone who can return a kick competently because it isn't Weems or Ford.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Moth

Moth Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    I was quite happy with how McClellin, Cutler, Allen and Scott looked.

Thought our starting Dline looked solid, but could throw a bit more pressure on the QB, however it seemed like it was a lot of 4 man rushes, may not have been but it certainly seemed like it.

Weems has got to be holding on by a thread on the brink of being cut. he didnt look good at all aside from one block on a Forte run.

Oline, as mentioned was awesome on PassPro, and pretty bad at Run. Although, Draughn could also make my list of impressive players. thought he made a lot out of nothing
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    318ß

Just off the top of my head: 1-OL run blocking 2-KR/PR blocking/inability to create lanes 3-Poor run fits by LBs in the first quarter 4-inability of LB's to drop back and pick up TEs/RBs in pass coverage
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,778 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,380ß
    I've been watching other preseason games and it's night-and-day different with the better defenses compared to the first two outings of the Bears defense. I'm not wanting to overreact either. But I also have that sinking feeling in my stomach that we're going to have a defense that the better teams we face (like the Packers) will feast on. We just look weak and vulnerable on D. People are out of position to make plays. The QB's are often getting too much time to throw. The LB's look like total crap to me. Maybe the problem isn't so much the players Emery has provided. Maybe the coaching sucks on D. Or, maybe it is the players.

One other point. I'm wanting Shea to do well, and have posted a number of positive posts trying to be optimistic & hopeful about him. But so far I have to admit he looks lost out there. I'm not hating on him. I just don't see much out of him so far at LB.
  6. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    318ß
    If the LB's don't learn how to drop back into coverage, opposing TEs and RBs will FEAST on this defense.
  7. Carthage34

Carthage34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    The play of the LB's and safeties leave me worried. I think Tucker is way in over his head, and the Special Teams coach was a bad hire as well.

I like the Defensive line and the starting Corners, but after that I think we are in for a world of hurt.

People will be screaming for the return of Conte I have a feeling.

I still think 6 to 10 wins this year. 6 wins if injuries start hitting the offense and up to 10 if they can manage to stay relatively healthy.

So Emery and Tresty were on the clock as of last year(8-8). What if the Bears blow another season, how long does Emery and Trestman have to produce a winner... 3-4-5 years?
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    566ß
    Run blocking includes a lot of timing, it will get there. The special teams were pretty bad.
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    566ß
    I have news for you people...if the refs keep up with how they're calling penalties now during the season....every running back, tight end, and receiver is going to feast on defenses!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß

1) OL run blocking actually Trestman addressed that, he said that run blocking is going to take time b/c it only takes 1 guy to do 1 thing wrong and it won't work; I think that AND the fact that Cutler isn't trying to audible into better plays makes it hard to tell. I'm more worried about the health of the OL then I am their actual ability.

2) Definitely an issue, Trestman flat stated no one is happy w/that group right now.

3/4) This has me a little concerned, but I think it has more to do w/Bostic and Shea and their shortcomings then it does anything else. Bostic still has a tendency to over pursue, apparently the game isn't slowing down for him enough yet, and Shea is just flat bad. The reality is that in GM 1 vs Philly I was actually impressed w/how well the 1st team stuffed the run, and outside of 2 runs vs the jags I thought they were pretty good at stopping the run also. As for the pass coverage, I'm willing to wait and see, this is a D still figuring out what it's good at and what it's not and in PS that's what they are testing. When they watch game film they'll make the necessary adjustments for wk1.

Reality is Emery should be on the phone w/Dallas seeing if JJ is dumb enough to give us a 2nd or 3rd pick for Shea, he's not a MLB, he's not a SAM he's barely a good player at all; but Dallas has been hit hard w/inj's across the board and could use a young playmaker and Hot Rod is familiar w/Shea(actually might be a downfall).

The other issue is that Bostic just isn't a MLB, but that's what he's being asked to play The team has 3 WILL's(Briggs/Bostic/Greene), 1 MLB DJ, and no SAM's(unless you count Jones). So the team is trying to force Bostic into the MLB(Greene is the backup to Briggs at will) so he can play and Shea into the SAM so he can play, and people are pissed that the backup lb's don't look good but are confused as to why? Conclusion somehow being the problem is the DC but not the GM's for not addressing the MLB and SAM positions; right perfectly sound judgment.

As for the S's, as much as I agreed the Fuller pick(after awhile), and agree it was actually the smarter long term move, S was not addressed enough in the offseason if the plan was to get CB/NT/DT or some combo in that order in the draft. FA should have been far more heavily hit at S. People were somehow happy w/Mundy/MDJ and keeping Conte; that group is a big bag O suck, and Conte is the worst of them, so go figure the S play is bad. McCray has actually looked the best of our S's, and he's a career ST'r/backup.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,303ß
    That should not be a problem. JJ has always risen to the occasion and met every challenge in that regard.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    93ß
    Chicken littles out in force again, I see. From Trestman's presser yesterday, the D allowed 2.4 YPC. I'll take that all season long. Hayden was playing poorly in the secondary, but most everyone else was doing a commendable job. The LBs are still young and developing, especially SMac, but he played an improved game against JAX, despite facing a no-huddle O again for much of the night. Hopefully we get Fuller back on the field soon, but I can say I actually have quite a lot of confidence in this D.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2