The same mindset that says we don't deserve Prime Time on TV

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, May 24, 2015 at 3:19 PM.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,380ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!

Sports
    Bears near the bottom of NFL offseason power rankings
    Posted: 05/20/2015, 12:49pm | David Just
    AX034_5415_9.jpg Chicago Bears head coach John Fox talks with reporters after an NFL football rookie minicamp Friday, May 8, 2015, in Lake Forest, Ill. | AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast

The Bears were bad in 2014, and no amount of staff changes, quality draft picks or fan optimism could changed the outlook for 2015.

Sports Illustrated NFL writer Chris Burke released his offseason power rankings Wednesday, and the Bears clock in at an underwhelming 25th.

Were it not for Abe Gibron (11-30-1 record from 1972–74), Marc Trestman’s 13 wins would stand as the least ever produced by a full-time Chicago Bears head coach. New front man John Fox averaged just shy of 13 wins per season (12.67) while with Denver from 2012–14.

The Seahawks, Packers, Patriots, Colts and Cowboys make up the top five.

The Bears went 5-11 last season with a defense that gave up the second-most points in the league. They used three of their first four picks on offensive players, starting with wide receiver Kevin White at No. 7 overall.

The logic behind those decisions caused ESPN to rank the Bears 26th in their post-draft power rankings.

The Bears went offense with three of their first four picks, including WR Kevin White (seventh overall). How will that help a defense that allowed the second-most points last season?

Check out SI’s full power rankings here, and ESPN’s rankings here.

2. Bearsinhouston

DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,380ß
    Hilarious. Actually staff changes and quality draft picks ARE the only thing other than FA that CAN change a teams outlook.

The D was horrible, but IMO more than 50% was due to the coaching. That has been fixed. In spades.

People can think what they want (and they will), but we will be a much better team than we were last year. People don't analyze past the obvious. And that is NOT analysis. If it sucked last year, how can the same team be good this year? Other than the name, it really isn't the same team. The guys leading the team are different. That is HUGE. And we made some significant changes.

That's all fine. We will catch teams off guard. I expect to lose to GB because they are a playoff caliber team, we are going to still be learning the new defense and even if we DO become an excellent team, it won't be in the first game. But I say we will be flexed into later games because we will be an NFL storyline by the end of the season. I don't like to make bold predictions, but there it is.

If I'm wrong, Ric made me type it. Go argue with him.

#2 Bearsinhouston, May 24, 2015 at 3:24 PM
    Last edited: May 24, 2015 at 3:36 PM
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,797ß
    Guess SI was sleeping through Free Agency where the majority of the signing were defensive players. Starting caliber defensive players too. Guess they missed the Fangio hire too.

#3 soulman, May 24, 2015 at 3:32 PM
    Last edited: May 24, 2015 at 8:21 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,761ß
    coaching and poor player leadership in the locker room and on the field were 50% of the problem last year. And both are gone. The team will improve, but the talent level is going to take time to replenish and it's been far to long since they were successful at trying. The talent level of this team is not anywhere near the top 3rd, and is likely in the bottom half, even if closer to the middle then the article gives it credit for.

5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    863ß
    The third rebuild in four years.

Lovies 10-6

Trestman's 8-8

5-11

PACE - FOX - FANGIO - F.A. - DRAFT.

Do we get it RIGHT ?

6. Bearsinhouston

DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,380ß
    I'd like to think that it is Ric with the right direction, development and coaching. Some positions like T and CB and S are in trouble, but overall if these guys play well they could be top third. Not saying they will be, but we now have the ability to find out and not be able to say we have talent that the coaches are not able to harness.
    No excuses this season. We have top guys coaching. If they do not play well, it's on the players IMO.

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,761ß
    I think general depth prevents this team from being top 3rd. Right now there is just a ton of young questionmarks, and some older ones to. Cutler on his best day is top 1/2, but on his worst is below, the we have no idea about the T's, or C, I think our G's are top 1/3. The DL is all potential and hype right now. If Goldman and Ego work out then they will be top 1/3, but if they don't there is just no depth to give it that ability. I think the LB's should be fine b/c of McPhee and the other FA's, along w/Bostic and Jones, but they both have to take a big step forward. The CB's are only as good as Fuller and Jennings allow them to be, I like some of the young backups, but I wouldn't want to rely on them. Our S's scare the piss out of me still, I'm not banking on anymore pro bowl play from Rolle, and Mundy/Vereen were good but hardly great.
    Forte, AJ, Bennett and Royal are all going to be solid, and I think White will also, but generally speaking rookie WR's don't put up huge #'s(yes there are exceptions but I don't expect anyone to be an exception). the depth at WR is nothing outstanding and same can be said for RB until it's proven. backup TE is scary. I do like the depth at qb.

All in All if everything goes well, then maybe they are close to the top 50%, but that's expecting everything to go perfect, and I don't buy it. Shit happens to every team and i'm not sure the depth of this team is so good after a few decent drafts to be ready to step in like that.

I hope your more right then I am though.

8. Bearsinhouston

DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,380ß
    Obviously, on this one, I'd like to be right. We'll find out if I am. Quick comment on Cutler. I have seen him where he plays like an elite QB. However, rarely for an entire game. He will end up throwing a pick to give it away or force it into coverage, but I guess the reason I mention it is that I think the ceiling is higher than top half. Although the floor seems to hold no bounds...
    Put him under pressure and he's a wreck. Everyone is, but some more than others.

9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,761ß
    Cutler is a weird bird, I wouldn't call him elite, at least not w/the current set of QB's he's competing with, but he's definitely at times shows near elite ability. What I found odd a few days ago looking at sack stats is that his int's don't really necessarily go up or down w/the number of sacks he takes.

upload_2015-5-25_0-13-24.png

dammit it didn't take the color coding. But if you look at the int rate and TD rate, or even the fumbles, they don't go up or down w/the sacks he's taking. and his QB rating really doesn't change much either, outside of the 76 it's normally w/in 3 points of itself.

*Thanks to JABF I was having a hard time getting the #'s to line up in a chart properly.

#9 riczaj01, May 24, 2015 at 4:31 PM
    Last edited: May 25, 2015 at 12:14 AM
  10. Ursushorribilis

Ursushorribilis Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    411ß
    Hope springs eternal....and, we can all go camping by the banks of that river in Egypt.....but, the reality is that a 5-11 team is playing a much TOUGHER schedule....most are predicting anywhere from 4-12 (doomsday scenario) to 7-9 ( best case scenario)......what I refuse to do this year is to camp by that river and set myself up for MORE DISAPPOINTMENT......I will hold low (realistic?) expectations.....let's see if some of us can be pleasantly SURPRISED....my guess is 6-10 in the bottom of the NFC North.....I so hope I am wrong!

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1