The trestman hiring ,.Kick this one around ,... CHEW on this FAT ,... Tastes good to me

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Nakoma1, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    the Trestman hiring hmmmmm When did it really happen ?

First a little on our new leader A good read
    http://en.montrealalouettes.com/page/marc-trestman
    Now let's go back to the off season.

The interviewing frenzy the Bears went into while looking for their new guy HAH ! ! !

Smoke and mirrors ??

Maybe ????

COuld be ???

It is some thing worth speculating and considering. There is no mention if his contract with the Alouettes and if it had had run out or not BUT WHAT IF Trestman had been Phil' s guy all along and Phil's dead set on making the franchise QB shine through. After all Phil did go out and one of the leagues top receivers last year and former PRO BOWL team mate of Cutty's in one Brandon Marshall ,..you have to wonder what Phil was thinking FULL KNOWING Cutler was having to face contract talks some time this season or at this season's end ,....AND what better way to help the franchise QB than to go out and get one of the Best QB GURU/ whisperers there is ??
    hmmmm

SO What if Trestman was under contract for his final year in 2012 ??
    (Maybe as I can't seem to find Contract details of such on Trestman and the Alouettes,...sorry )
    AND
    what if he wanted to make one more run at the Grey Cup in the CFL ,.... and go out with a bang after maybe being his last season with that team ???

I m sure liking THIS FAT,.. I'm chewing on here,... AND No Trestman wasn't my first choice,... Arians was ,.. But Trestman has been winning me over since he picked his staff,... which has already seem to transform this team into ONE GROWING COHESIVE UNIT I just wish they had a little more Beef to protect Cutty with ,.... yeah I know next years draft ,... Thats a long way off still I have nothing against the improvements made to the o-line just yet other than they need to open those run holes a lil better for Forte & Company but that will hopefully come

Kick it around its something open for discussion,..some things that have transpired in the pasty two years do lend themselves into this way of thinking
    Why not do the more obvious in making a selection for a HC as they way its been done throughout the league It was a bold move
  2. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Usually in the CFL they will not stop someone trying to make it in the big league. There has been players that asked for a release for that reason and got it.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I figured maybe Trestman had a year left Would have liked that having him here last year BUT anything at that time would have been better than another year of Lovie

I'm liking how Phils dealing so far ... Prospects are looking good
  4. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    107ß
    Trestman apparently had an NFL escape hatch in his Montreal contract, but that is not usually true for players. Look at the current drama with Chris Williams in Hamilton. The Ticats refused to let him out of his second year. For those of you who have never heard of him, he put up phenomenal return and receiving results in his rookie year. Marcus Thigpen was a former Ticat who is now returning kicks for Miami and Williams is more dangerous, more sure handed than Thigpen. He's sitting out and going the legal route to try to get his release.

There's a narrow age window for CFL players (24-27) to attract NFL attention and once they've aged beyond that their odds go down dramatically. That's why Williams is eager to get out now while he's still in that age window. Once they're in that 28 and older range, the smart ones know that the CFL will be their football life, regardless of how good they become.

BTW, CFL GMs have no interest in being a developmental league for the NFL and while they may be personally pleased that a former player is now collecting a bigger paycheque, they have no interest in facilitating his move south. They take a dim view of some big ego thinking he can use the CFL as a shortcut to the NFL.

Addendum:

Forgot to mention that some years back the CFL ran into financial difficulties and the NFL loaned the league money. In return, the CFL had to include in the final year of all player contracts, an option where they could leave for the NFL. This is probably where the notion of players being granted a requested release came from. This is no longer true. The CFL has repaid the loan, is now swimming in money from TV contracts, and the final year NFL option no longer exists in CFL contracts.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  5. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    171ß
    Interesting discussion, I was poking through the Bear's Coaches Bio's and T-man brought a couple of coaches with him from Montreal. They are the two 'Quality Control' coaches. I never heard of that title, but it appears to be fairly common for less experienced coaches looking to break into a positional coach position.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +711 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    424ß
    After you read Trestman's book you wonder why he wasn't a head coach in the NFL 10 years ago. When you have so many dumb coaches that have passed through the NFL and this guy never gets a fair shot it's amazing. But it looks like the wave of hiring dumb coaches is finally going out of fashion. Look at the last few years of coaching hires and the way these teams are structuring their teams are definitely more O smarts driven. Not bang your head against the wall stupid coach any more. That is why I can't ever see guys like Lovie , Tice, Jauron ever making it back as HCs I really wish they would and I mean it because I want to play those teams.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

I forget who it was but some of the 85 Bears started out that way on the Bears ,. one maybe two under Wanny I believe. I think another under Jauron
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Nice post bill. It's interesting to learn some of the workings of the CFL up in the Great White North. You're viewpoints are always appreciated.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I think williams attitude was a major problem , but you look at josh portis QB was released by TO to try again for the seahawks ,failed and went back to TO as a 3rd string.
  10. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    107ß
    Williams is a starter, Portis is a guy at the bottom end of the depth chart. Teams have no problem granting releases to players that have little expectation of a CFL future. They're probably going to get cut anyway. Seriously, what are their chances in the NFL? Starters have to run out their contracts, and NFL teams honour CFL contracts.

Trestman's case is different as his contract had been renewed and it was reported to have contained an NFL escape clause.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Did they not offer him 200g's and he said no. That is what started the whole thing was money was it not, not just the chance to get back south? Anyways good points.
  12. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    107ß
    Interesting article and video:
    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/foo...oesn-t-relate-well--reputation-174051955.html
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz: