There are some serious db's that post on espn/chicago

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Billie Murray, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Thankfully I don't have a facebook account or I may waste my time trying to help them learn simple life lessons.
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Anyone who has ever read a fb comment chain on fan pages knows how ignorant and trollish most "common fans" are. This is why this community is so awesome, a bunch of knowlegable people with different perspectives that can provide meaningful and fact based convorsations. Good work:13_4_9[1]:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,567ß
    Come now.... there are a few DBs here too :D

But its all fun. We give and take
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Only DBs in the community are DBs in the best possible way :1stprize:

The real clueless type (anyone remember Clutchler LOL) don't usually last long
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    One thing that bothers me and I know that the majority of folks on this thread feel the same way about Urlacher (I think all you haters have horrible memories or choose to cherry pick what you remember and what to forget) but that any time anyone says anything about the Bears they bring up Urlacher and question loyalty like the comments Briggs made. I will argue my point on Urlacher another day but no one can question his passion or loyalty to being a Bear.

The one thing that I did take from Briggs comments about Peanut signing and Melton still out there is that he sees Melton's situation and draws a parallel to when he was franchised. Big difference - Henry Melton was happy to sign the franchise tag, he had no forethought to the 'what if's', then he came into camp not in the greatest shape of his life but frankly out of shape and he did nothing to compare to the prior year before going down (which was a darn shame). Briggs on the other-hand was livid over the franchise tag to the point he talked of not reporting. When he did he was in great shape and had a terrific season. The two could not have been more different in their approach to the franchise tag. Sorry but when you are paid that kind of money there is no "off-season" from keeping oneself in shape. I get it, Briggs sees that it could've been him that year and is showing empathy for a fellow teammate but there is no comparing the two.

Also, Bears fans ripping Peppers and Wooten for last year. The Bears decided not to bring back their HOF Team leader and MLB on Defense, then lost his replacement, they let Isreal Idonje go to a rival in the Norse Division, and then lost both starting DTs (one being their franchise player) to season ending knee injuries, the third DT Stephen Paea missed seemingly half the season with various toe and foot injuries, then you lose the two team leaders on the Defensive side if not the football team and Pro Bowl players in Peanut and Briggs. So the Bears found out the 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers were nothing like their Pro Bowl starters, the franchise player, their old team Captain or the guy signed to replace the perennial all-pro. Take any two ends in football and put them in that position and see what happens.....dramatic decline because no one is able to beat their man one on one, no one is completing their assignments and thus they start trying to do more than what their focus is. Peppers was making tackles Conte was missing....no wonder the dude was taking plays off. Sorry but there are no two DEs in the game that will look as good playing with guys off the street, draft busts and practice squad players. Sometimes people do not get the game....it's not basketball...no isolation - each depends on the other 10 to do at least a half-assed job of fulfilling their duties. I feel the Bears would be better off bringing Wooten back than Melton. Remember the last disruptive DT with speed and athleticism the Bears had that went down with an injury...Tommie was never the same because big guys have a tougher time coming back from knee injuries because of the extra weight they carry. Next thing it led to a serious hamstring injury. It's a bummer to lose Peppers to the Pack and those Packer's fans that boo the move read above. Weak brain, narrow mind. Look at the big picture....if your GM can field a decent defense Peppers will be an asset. I'd like to see them go after Isi, Wooten, Melton (if motivated), Jarred Allen *if they are willing to take less money and if Allen can swallow his pride and rotate in on pass rushing situations because one thing I learned from last season is you can't be too deep. Then go after D-Line and maybe an O-lineman in the draft some studs to maybe even start in front of the vets (logical with a #1 & #2 pick). I can't even imagine Conte being in camp...but I've also seen film dissected to where he was covering for a wondering Major. Still I don't know what his strong suit or upside is.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,050 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    Clutchler will always be remembered for his "bag of dicks" comment. He's gone, but not forgotten :-)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,280 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    230ß
    No, I believe that is Henry's baby. And to the OP thanks for noticing our DB.
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Ah yes but separating the "givers" from the "takers" requires patience and persistence! :rofl2:
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Bravo!!! :23_28_100[1]: :36_1_11[1]:

And I swear to all of you this isn't me posting under a different name nor is Billie my twin brother. But I do appreciate seeing another poster looking at the big picture in much the same way I did and still do. Without a doubt injuries hurt the defense last year but so did Phil Emery's misjudgments in personnel decisions which left us short on NFL caliber depth AND leadership. Maybe that's why Tucker is getting a second chance and Phil is owning up to his part in that cratering. It really doesn't get any more pathetic than that.

It's equally tough to judge the performance of some who remained healthy when they were all playing like headless chickens scurrying around before the snap and many times not even knowing what their assignments were. As many of you know I'm a musician and everyone in a band is also dependent on the others doing their job correctly so you can do yours. If the drummer can't keep time we can't lock into a "pocket" and the tune never gets a "flow" to it. If the guitarist is soloing over the top of my vocals that messes up my timing and phrasing. Those guys all had jobs to do last year and less than half of them were doing theirs.

We saw what a lack of coordination and cohesiveness did to the OLine in 2012 and how correcting that with better talent and players who could carry out their assignments turned the whole thing around. Well, 2013 was the DLines turn to do a 2012 act and it wasn't pretty was it? This past week I've seen Emery taking some steps to assure that at least that won't happen again and although we lost Pep the re-signing of Tillman was far more important because he's far more a leader on that team than Pep ever was. With the possibility that we'll have two new Safeties playing this year stability at CB will be important.

The most positive thing to me is that Phil Emery and the coaching staff appear to be learning from their previous mistakes which is something we rarely saw with JA or Lovie. Angelo would never admit to making one and Lovie wouldn't admit to anything at all good or bad. He was a great defensive coach but always saw the glass as being half full no matter whether it was dry as dust or overflowing. I'm not happy with all of their decisions but at least this bunch all the way up to George McCaskey seems more human to me than what we've experienced before. To me that means they'll make mistakes but humans do that. Then they try to correct them and move on and so far that seems to be the way it's going. Now we just have to wait for the results to know if it works.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    The thing that bothers me is that when a team has injuries as the Bears did last year then those other starters need to step up. THAT'S what they are paid to do no matter who lines up next to them. IMHO Peppers simply gave up for whole games and parts of other games and has as much as admitted it.:(
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    Who's ripping Wooton? And of course 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers won't be like Pro Bowlers...thats why they're 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers. However, Urlacher was far from a Pro Bowler at the end of his career, and we can argue all day about whether he would have made a difference or not last year. It's a never ending argument because we'll never know. As for Conte...I keep saying it and I'll continue to, he's not as bad as he played this season a. Before last year his arrow was pointing up. You've made every excuse in the book for an experienced All Pro team captain, yet you give a 3rd year player no slack...explain to me how that makes sense? As you said, each player depends on the other to do their job. Conte depends on the guys in front of him to do their jobs(stop the run, pressure/sack the passer) so he can effectively do his job(stop the pass and be the last line of defense on the run). I'll give Conte a pass before I give Peppers a pass. He'll be in camp, and with better talent around him he'll be back to his 2012 self. Lastly...we have a salary cap...we're not signing all those guys.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1. You are right about not signing all those guys. Not when teams get desperate and will overpay for them. I like Emery's approach, wait and see who is available that is worth the money rather than being hamstrung like the Peppers deal.
    2. Conte, I've heard the same point before. I've seen plays dissected showing why he looked awful getting beat as he was covering from an out of position fellow safety. I can understand that point. To me he looks incredibly thin and fragile out there....yet surprisingly rather durable. I just know that open field tackling is not his strong suit to put it kindly. IMHO I don't see a huge upside to him.
    3. My Posts Title the db's on espn/chicago were all ripping Wooton....had to vent here because I don't have a myface account.

Urlacher a short point I will make. He did not have an 'over the hill' falling off. Some Bear fan's forget how his prior season. When I saw Major Wright fall on his leg I thought he was done. He avoided surgery, had no camp, didn't play for a couple games to start the season and toughed it out (why so that he could play, he didn't want to sit out like the year of the wrist). He didn't just all of a sudden hit the wall due to age or lack of passion (and I'm not accusing you personally of that but it's been repeated by people who must be too young or senile to know what he'd done throughout his career....that B.S. is so uninformed and overstated). Go to youtube and watch the last game of the year in the waning minutes in Minnesota and you will see why Urlacher went out the way he did. That is my very short point on Urlacher. I'd love to give you my full 2 cents...but don't have the time at this moment. He was a rare breed, committed, passionate and appreciated what it meant to be a Bear.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    On Conte...I've got to disagree. I'm not saying he's the next Ed Reed by any stretch, just that he's better than what he showed this past season, and there were reasons why he looked bad at times that were really out of his control.

As for Urlacher, again, I was one of his biggest fans. Of the 3 jerseys I own, he's one of them(Payton and Butkus are the other two). His last good season was 2010. He had a bad year in 08, and only played part of 1 game in 09. 2011 he was ok not great, and in 2012 he was injured and his play was ok, and I may be being kind in that. There were multiple games in which he only had 1 or 2 solo tackles. He fell off, and thats ok...thats what older players do bro. It had nothing to do with his passion, or commitment or any of that, he just got old, and when speed players get old...it's usually not good for them. He was a great all time Bear, but he got old, and it was time for him to go.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    You hit on a good point here. Maybe too many fans have too short a memory as far as what Urlacher has done in his career. I also agree that he was far from finished at the end and with an off season where he wasn't simply fighting serious injuries trying to recover instead of conditioning himself he would have been at least 80% to 90% of his old self and 80% of him is a whole lot better than 100% of many others.

It's all over and done now and what any other team did or didn't offer has nothing to do with how it was handled. That was wrong. But aside from that I stand by my opinion that the Bears defense would never have cratered that badly with Urlacher running it. He's won games, like the "we knew who they were and we let 'em off the hook" Cards game where he single handedly took over the defense and willed them to make stops. Hester did the rest of the damage.

But what bothers me most of all was the sheep like mentality of so many Bears fans who turned on Urlacher just because of the misinformation spread by the media who were the Bears and Emery's best PR source through all of it. I read all of those articles even though I didn't buy into them but I also read the others which barely saw the light of day that examined the whole deal and came to the same conclusion that I did. It was a totally screwed up way to handle negotiations, and I use that word lightly since there were none, with your most iconic player. Urlacher was never critical or disloyal to the Bears ever and he still hasn't been.

You need to read with an understanding all you "haters". This is all about his attitude about Phil Emery, not the Bears as a team, and in that I believe he's justified. If you look at all of the facts, which Emery has never denied by the way, then you'll finally get the whole picture in focus and your emotions will stop overcoming logic and common sense.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,235 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    608ß
    Well get them in to HH. God knows we need all the defensive backs we can get. Wait....
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Well put. I know Urlacher has had a mic shoved in his face at the wrong time and sounded off but it's an emotional roller coaster of a sport. Walking off the field after a loss to the Viqueens, Butkus, McMichael or any hard-assed, hold no punches Bear may have said a lot worse in the heat of the moment but alas a different era. Urlacher's earned any true Bears fans respect and should not be treated as if he were the Sammy Sosa of the Bears. It'd be a cold day in hell before he'd ever pull a Henry Melton...glowing to the press over the franchise tag and showing up like he'd done nothing over the off-season but count his duckets. If Henry would've been in the shape of his live maybe he moves a bit quicker and never sustains the ACL injury. Nor did he have whispers of taking plays off following him around his entire career like the new fudge packer. No he publicly said years before Bear For Life.
  17. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    I've personally met Urlacher. To me he was an arrogant business man. He's not for the fans. He is all business.

Yes, he played for us etc, but after I saw his demeanor, and how he handled fans, I'm giving him what he gives fans.

He's approaching his commentator job like he did football. It's business.

So no hard feelings Urlacher, it's just business. While you were good, you are only as good as you project. Right now, you're being a db. :D

Should Ditka be bitter since we fired him?

Just my thoughts. I'm loyal, obviously, but anyone meet Urlacher get the same vibe?

Tillman has reached out to this site for some fan love. So have other players. Urlacher just doesn't give off that vibe, especially when it comes to signing things, or talking to people.

<rant over> :D
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,567ß
    This. This says it all.
    :36_1_55[1]:
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    If you recall Ski he was for a very long time but again not so much at the Bears, the team he played for and coached, but at one man in particular, Mikey "the :asshat2: McCaskey. That rift continued for a very long time until Mikey was no longer involved in any way with the team. Then it was up to George to smooth things over and have his number retired.

I don't see it as being any different with Urlacher. It's Emery he has an axe to grind with. Not the McCaskey's or anyone else, just Emery, and his more barbed comments all relate in one way or another to what Emery does or is doing and nothing else. Most of the time his observation are correct and while I may be in a minority I'm not the ONLY one who see it too.

I really don't give a good God damn if he never won a Mr. Congeniality Award. I never expected him to. As a fan I wanted to see him play his ass off and win football games for the Bears and he did that as well as any other iconic MLB in Bears history. And I was never offended by his comments about ignorant fans because I never considered myself to be one of them. To those who have been offended by those comments I'll just say, "if the shoe fits, and all that shit".

It's fine with me that he's all business and that his departure was all business too. All I've ever said about that was it was a shitty way to handle that business and if you cut through all of the media crap surrounding it and all that fan "hate", that's all he's ever said about it as well. It could have been handled better but it wasn't. End of story.

Now, that's ancient history from 2013 and this is 2014. Let's drop this and get on with the future. I'm not holding on to that part of that past any longer. It is what it is and most peoples opinions about it are set in stone and won't ever change, including mine.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    275px-Brian_Urlacher_crop2.jpg NotThisShitAgain.jpg deadhorse.gif
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1