Thin Bear roster?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Carthage34, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Carthage34

Carthage34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Something I was wondering about is the rest of the NFL as thin behind the starters as the Bears roster appears to be? It seems they don't have any real depth except a bit on the Defensive line. Injuries are part of the game, I am just hoping they can avoid major ones this season because to me the roster looks really thin.

Possibly it's from years of bad drafting or poor player development, but they need to pick it up. I saw the 2nd round pick Ego on his butt more than a few times(they could have easily picked him up in the later rounds). This seems to be a theme with the Bear scouting department; drafting players higher than they should have been taken. This has being happening under Angelo and Emery. I guess they decide what the value of a player is. Harding in the 3rd, he could have been easily picked up in the 5th for sure or maybe later. Shea as well I think they could have gotten him in the second or third round. Leaving Chandler Jones on the board was really stupid! A pure DE he had 11.5 sacks last year.

They seem to do a really good job with FA I just wish they could get the drafting right, something still seems wrong to me.
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    We're thin at some positions due mainly to injuries more than a lack of talent but with a hard salary cap most every team is gonna have some weaknesses at certain positions. We aren't alone in that respect.

Ego may have been a bit of a reach but he wouldn't have lasted much longer. Too big, too strong, too much upside. They new he was raw when they drafted him but with Paea and Ratliff around he doesn't need to play much just yet. He's coachable so we'll see how well he progresses through out the year. Same with Sutton.

You really can't guess where these guys might have gone if we didn't take them where we did. I could make the argument, and correctly so it would seem, that we should have drafted Hardin period because of his injury history. But he was big and fast and touted by his coach so we gambled and lost.

Shea McClellin was a foolish pick as a 4-3 DE with Chandler Jones still on the board so what that was all about I can't say but had we taken Jones there's a good chance the Pats would have taken McClellin with the next pick and he be miles ahead of where he is now as a 3-4 OLB. We wasted two years of his career trying to play him at a position he was never built to play. By the end of this year we'll know whether or not we blew this pick entirely.

I think the drafts have gotten far better and you're only looking at those players who haven't panned out yet. What about Kyle Long who was rated as a second round pick and yet out of the three first round OGs in the 2013 draft so far he's the best by far. The kid from Carolina we were so hot on is being benched down in AZ.

What about Jeffery and Marquise Wilson both of whom had 1st round credentials at one time. We moved up smartly and got Jeffery in two and Wilson was an unbelievable bargain in the 7th. So far Phil seems to be a little more astute with his offensive picks than his defensive picks but we added a lot of new young talent on defense and it takes time for them to learn the game.

I'm just concerned that it isn't the players but rather the defensive schemes of our coordinator that are the root problem. I guess we'll know by December won't we?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    I can understand why one would question the defensive scheme but with all the injuries last year its impossible to make any conclusions. As for the pre-season there is no game planning so again impossible to make a conclusion. Have to wait and see, I am m0re worried about the LB's than anything else right now. Bostic had one nice play and McC seemed to have a respectable first quarter as he made a few nice plays. I was hoping DJ would not be the starter just because we drafted Bostic but it is looking more like DJ will get the nod in std 4-3 package anyway.

Special teams is far from set but hopefully as we identify the 53 man roster it starts to come together. Still seeing who can contribute now to special teams and make the roster so we have not seen the final body of work, but have seen litttle to make me feel we have a strong unit in the making.

Losing Zach Miller is a shame. He looked like he was going to give us some insurance for Bennett and allow some multiple formations. I thought Ola looked pretty good so the Oline is looking strong as well with depth. The games start in the trenches and both lines look strong and deep, need the rookie DT's to continue to grow.

We have good depth at CB and RB. Under Angelo we had no depth, so I believe Angelo is putting the pieces together. No its not complete, losing Miller at face value weakened the depth at TE. Fortunately Marquiese Wilson will be back, hopefully around Wk 4 or 5. Morgan and Williams both look capable of holding down the spot until he returns and the coaches seem to like Weems so decent Depth at WR as well. As stated previous both lines look good, although the offense needs to open some running lanes. All in all Emery has done a good job of upgrading the team and providing back up depth. I believe he is light years better than Angelo at evaluating talent. (cudos to his staff which he had to put together when he arrived 3 yrs ago).

Three years ago the arrow was pointing sideways at best, I like the direction the arrow is pointing at the present. There are definetely areas we can improve either the starting talent or the depth but with the Salary Cap and 3 yrs of drafting I see a job well done. The draft is not an exact science and its easy now to say we should have done this or that but as Soul pointed out we may have had Chandler Jones, but would not have Jeffries or Long.

Its preseason yet, there is no game planning, and we are still identifying who to go to battle with. Often plays are called to isolate a player and see how he responds. Anybody notice the Jags play to their TE in 1st qtr.. Both L Briggs and think it was DJ lined up in the middle leaving rt side wide open for the TE. Pretty sure this was deliberate to see how the S would react. Next week the starters typically go a half, they will do some game planning but not like in the season so, lets give this thing another week or so
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    True there is no defensive game planning but you still want to see progress on fundamentals. If there was some it was small as far as Bostic and McClellin were concerned. Both made a nice play or two but they're still playing soft.

The play Bostic made on Gerhart where he just blew past Joeckel and put him down is what we should be seeing all the time from those two. They are both blindingly fast but neither of them can take blockers head on and stack and shed a block. Their play is to blow past them before they can anchor and get their hands on them.

I'm resigned to seeing how it goes this year but I did consider Thursdays game a setback for the D and a total failure by the STeams return unit. Coverage was better though.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    Agree. Thought McC made some nice progress though stopped a few runs and one or two in the backfield, seemed to be around the ball much more. Bostic had the one great play and then was fairly quiet.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,319 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,494ß
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    Free agency is much easier because they have played in NFL already and the benchmark at the talent level is known and not projected, atleast the base is established.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,695 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,214ß
    Soul, I'm beginning to wonder too. When I watch the other NFL teams this preseason - the ones with the better defenses - there is a night and day difference between THOSE teams D and what Tucker has out there now. Those better D's are alpha dog mentality teams that attack the offenses and impose their will on them. They are agressive and just maul offenses. It's what you've described in several posts here in recent weeks - they are "downhill" teams that put the wood to offenses mano a mano stuff.

Us?

We are looking lost out there. On our heals "reacting" rather than aggressively making plays. I guess THAT is what the Bears D is missing. Where are the playmakers? Sure, you see a couple of isolated "good plays" in these games. But watch the better D's perform this preseason and there are agressive playmakers flying EVERYWHERE. The kind of thing you used to see the Bears do in past seasons when we had a good defense. Now? You just see players out of position. On their heals. Shea gives that "deer in the headlights" look and wanders back for the next play - looking defeated. Others aren't looking any better to me.

I think we're a screwed goose this season if Tucker can't get a better performance from these guys. I'm thinking 8-8 season again and no playoffs. I think that's the ceiling with this bunch on D. Rodger, and even Detroit will rip us good with this D. Same with any of the other good teams that can gut a defense.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +694 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    401ß
    I agree but he did get us a #1 pick in the 2 slot that year so if you he would have flip flopped those picks no one would be have been complaining about those picks. I'll give him a pass on the Shea pick. At this point he's kicking the living shit out JA picks by frick'n mile but again we could've had a monkey replace him with better success.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

I only meant that he was a foolish pick as a 4-3 DE no matter where we took him. Emery had, and maybe still has a vision for him to be a player like Rob Ninkovich whose always been more of a LB than a DE. Maybe that can still happen but I'm not seeing it that way.

I still think if they move him to MLB next year where he can use his speed and his range to pursue like Urlacher did that's where he should be playing. By then Ego may have gotten the handle and playing a 2 Tech NT and that will protect him more.
  11. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    It's still going to take some time to recover from the "Bare Cupboard" that was left by the "Angler". Can't completly restock in just a couple of years as they first had to fix the "O" line and then the "D".
    That doesn't leave a lot of room for restocking and I think that overall Emery has done a reasonably good job fixing what we all know was broken almost beyond repair.

:18 1 205:
    • Like Like x 1