Think We All Need a Laugh; Jerry Angelo on Drafting, LOL...........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    541ß
    To be fair, Haynes was supposed to be a fit for Jauron's D, and was absolutely not for Lovie's. Also, it was Lovie's first OC that insisted on bringing in Quinn, because he was a backup at KC and "knew the system". Hutchinson was the only bright spot at QB in 2004, and was promptly gotten rid of after a poor outing in the 2005 preseason.
  2. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Funny, funny stuff.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    ugh Chutch....a friend of mine had a picture of his nephew in a Chutch Jersey...even back then I hated him.
  4. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Ok, so I haven't really watched Robinson play ball because time is limited and I've mainly concerned myself with possibilities for the Bears... but a lot of what I've read about Robinson is that he's very RAW and his pass pro technique needs to be coached up. How does that make him the SAFEST player in the whole draft class? Or is all of that I've read on him inaccurate and he's as sure fire as Orlando Pace was, coming into the league?
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    B/R is fairly critical, but says he's one of the best 2 OT's in the draft and calls him a plug and play OT.
    Walter has him as the top OT in the draft.

So w/my limited looking around I'd say he's probably looked at as pretty damn safe.
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    As what though Henry. He couldn't play DE or DT.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    It's JA talking. What else is there to say. This is the guy who drooled over a kid who could jump out of swimming pools but never learned how to play football and spent a third round pick on a WR whose now playing for the who? The Helsinki Wolverines?????? Do they play night games up there in the Midnight Sun League?

Manziel a top five pick? The guy has the potential to be the biggest coach and GM killing QB to be drafted since Ryan Leaf. 80% of the teams picking are frightened to death of him. He's far more a novelty pick for a bottom feeder who needs to put butts in seats like Jax than he is for any team seriously thinking of contending.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Yeah, I guess there's differing opinions. I've read, using Jerry speak, that his floor is lower than other top OTs in pass pro, but his ceiling there and ceiling overall is sky high, and that's why he's rated so high. When there's technique issues to coach up, I wouldn't say it's safe... again, I've seen little to nothing with my own eyes to give an honest assessment.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Back in the day, there was this article regarding a player's desire and interest in playing football. They cited three examples but did not list them by name, but with a little digging it was easy to figure out who they were talking about. One player during his interviews would not shut up about playing piano. They would try to steer the conversation towards football, and he'd get it back to playing piano. That player as far as we could figure out? Joey Harrington.

Next on the list was a guy that was so interested in zoology that he would not shut up about animals during his interview. As far as we could figure, it was Michael Haynes. He just did not have the focus to succeed in the NFL because he did not actually like playing the game. And of course Lovie moved him around and asked him to change his weight probably didn't help.

Last guy was Kwame Harris, but I can't remember what his deal was. Maybe it was something about him accidentally admitting that he was gay in his interview, but my memory is hazy. I didn't care about what his deal was. Joey Ballgame and Haynes lack of interest in their interview were what stuck in my memory.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    I guess imo I would rather take a guy that needs some tech improvement IF I think my coaches are capable(and I would hope they were) but has a huge ceiling(not just ahtletic/pool jumper) then a guy w/a lower ceiling that is already completely finished, guess it also depends on what the team needs, sometimes I could see how the team might need a guy that can just start and be ready to go day 1.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Oh I'm with you there. I think if you have the opportunity to get a guy with rare talent and feel he's coachable, you pull the trigger. That's why if I'm the Texans, I take Clowney without thinking twice. If you're at the top of the draft, you should take your shots at those types of guys, IMO. Sometimes you fall on your face, but so be it. I was just wondering why JA felt he was the safest pick in the draft, when everything I've read is saying he needs a lot of technique work and that he rarely played with his hand down in college. That's not my idea of safe.. that's all.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    Well I guess that's b/c JA is a moron, I would see why he thinks he's the safest OT or OL maybe other then SW the safest O player, but take into consideration the D players, no way.
  14. TarheelBear

TarheelBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    still don't think Jerry was the worst at drafting but round 1 - 2 was not good was down right ugly and depressing list. I don;t know his method or his madness to after reading this article i still think he just threw darts at a board Jerry was better at later round pick then he was first 2 rounds.
  15. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    That 2007 draft was the one that killed me. He was cocky as hell with that one, just coming off the Super Bowl appearance. We trade Thomas Jones (which I was fine with, Jones was over-rated IMO) and our 2nd rounder for the 37th overall pick. We trade that 37th with the Chargers, who grab Eric Weddle (and I believe FS was one of our needs). We get Dan Bazuin and Garret Wolfe with the 2nd and 3rd rounders acquired from that trade (I think we got some 5th rounder and a 3rd the next year). The acquisition of the picks was actually a good move, it was the trade down to grab reaches at positions that weren't immediate needs, like Bazuin and Wolfe that sucked when there were areas on the roster that needed to be addressed in order to remain relevant.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    "Safe picks" don't have a low floor and you have plenty of tape on them playing the position you expect them to play for your team. The "tweeners" and conversion picks often fail as much or more then they succeed. We're dangerously close to that with McClellin. I'm beginning to wonder if in the NFL he's man without a position. A guy you need to keep moving around when you can afford to just turn him loose to do his thing. I guess we'll find out soon enough if he's a LB.

When I look at that in this draft I see two top players who are fits for the positions we would have them play. Dix as a FS and Donald as a 3 tech DT. Then I see Pryor more as a SS and Jernigan more as a Shade NT. Not that these two can't play FS and DT but most everything about them tells me that's not there best spot. That makes me wonder if we should pass on both and look elsewhere for better fits.
  17. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,179ß
    What's your point? Angelo couldn't general manage either!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I hear he invested in a thoroughbred stable but kept buying geldings for breeding stock then traded that for 12 Blockbuster Video franchises. After he lost his shirt on those two with what he had left he opened up the first HoneyBaked Ham store in Tel Aviv. Some guys just never get it do they?
  19. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,179ß
    He must use the same investment advisor as me.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Call me. I work cheap and even I know that ham ain't kosher.