This is a good opportunity for us to see how Trestman responds in a true crisis.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Oct 21, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,067 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    327ß
    I don't know how the season could get much worse than this. Every season has its share of adversity, but the bottom has pretty much fallen out this year with the injuries to key players - including Cutler going down to serious injury. The situation was already bad enough with the roster problems Emery inherited from the Jerry Angelo years of atrophy of talent.

I wouldn't wish this situation on any Bears coach, especially a guy in his 1st season as an NFL head coach.

But since we're in crisis-mode anyway, it will be a fascinating opportunity to see how Marc Trestman reacts. It would take a miracle to do much of anything good with the remaining set of healthy survivors that we have left to play. Guys who are marginal (at best) to be in the NFL a year from now, are getting playing time. We even lost our starting QB and, McCown, an old guy who was an out-of-work NFL player - a high school football coach - is now our starting QB.

If Trestman can make some significant positive adjustments under these circumstances, it will be very impressive. I don't see how it's possible, but you never know. Wouldn't it be outrageous if went into Lambeau after this bye week and beat the Packers? I can't wait so see how Trestman reacts while under extreme pressure here.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    576ß
    Emery also. he's going go into his 3rd offseason, right now he's hitting about .500, w/the first fail possibly happening b/c of lack of prep time and having to rely on the prev regime and coaching staff. If he has another offseason like this past one, then he'll be able to field a more complete time then the previous 2 years.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +538 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    133ß
    I think Trestmmans' already been under pressure. And the O has been performing well. Musch better than I expected with so many new pieces and a new ssytem. When have we put up so many points in a season (so far)? Who in their right mind would have thought McCown could have come in and played so well? How did he perform coming in under Martz? Tice?

I'm interested in seeing what he does this off-season as well. Does he fire Tucker? How does he (and Emery) fix our floundering D?
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,067 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    327ß
    That is an outstanding point. I really had not thought about that one, but it's a great point. Especially in regards to coaching moves. Lovie would be SO indecisive in making coaching moves. I wonder if Trestman will be more decisive? I sure hope so.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I still think that his 2012 draft was a Lovie Smith draft to be honest. Remember we had no scouting staff and Phil was stuck with Lovie for the year.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    576ß
    I agree JPosh, but next year we'll have a better idea.
  7. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I remember when Jauron kept John Shoop. I think that Tucker is gone after this season.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    I wouldn't be surprised if this happened. They are certainly playing with a lot of injuries, but they are also the reason for our last two losses.
  9. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +160 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    I think Tucker will be given another chance, you can't really gage the defense as whole with key members missing but it will interesting to see what kind of adjustments Tucker make the rest of the season with the players we have left (will we see more rookies get playing time, will there be new rotations etc..)......this upcoming offseason will tell a lot on how our defense will look next season, but the good thing is we have GM who's a scout at heart that will get the players we need in next year's draft for the defense.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,700 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    467ß
    Tucker will get another year.

Injuries all over the defense, relying on 2nd and 3rd stringers..... Stars you expected to perform being almost invisible..... No matter how great of a coach you are, that is hard to over come
    • Like Like x 2
  11. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree with the thread title. But, I will also say that we can't hold Trestman accountable if things go really bad. These injuries are insurmountable for any team let alone one led by a rookie head coach.

If he does better than I expected in this current situation then it will really impress me but, if he doesn't I won't hold him accountable either.
  12. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    looking at your signature... our stars...
    cutler -out
    b marsh - injuries all year
    pep - old
    forte- hes ok
    garza-old
    pnut-injured
    briggs-out....

crippled
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,067 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    327ß
    +1

That's a good way to put it. And that's pretty much my take on it too. Emery will need this off-season to build up the defense, like he focused on the offense this past off-season. Also, the youngsters will have had a lot of valuable game reps by next season, and while we will take our lumps this year, as they go through the normal learning curve of rookies starting - it should pay valuable dividends next year.

But I agree. If Trestman handles this crisis season well, then that will impress me. I really can't remember a Bears season with this wide of an array of challenging factors. Basically we have so many new players, new coaches top-to-bottom, new play books, new schemes (even the defense looks different from Lovie's D), rookies starting, a roster that still needs upgrading from Jerry Angelo's tenure -- and on top of all that we have had our KEY players drop like flies to injury. I just can't remember any Bears season quite like this. And that's going back over a half-century (of course as an old geezer my memory isn't always so hot) :)

It's like Trestman has been thrown into the furnace fires. One heck of a way to begin your head coaching debut in the NFL.

[​IMG]
  14. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I guess the Question is, what does sucess look like?

Is it a certain record like 9-7 or 10-6?

Maybe a run of wins at the end of the season with the team looking like it can compete with and beat GB and Detroit.

Maybe something else.
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    145ß
    Most good coaches can win when everything is going hunky dory. BUT what happens when the wheels fall off? This will be a true test of his coaching ability. IF he can keep this from looking as bad as I think this remaining part of season will be, he could get consideration for coach of the year.
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,400 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    As long as McCown doesn't go full Caleb Hanie on us, all Trestman really needs to do is keep the offense respectable in games. Absolutely no one is thinking this defense is going to turn it around, so just a slight improvement on that side will go a good ways.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    145ß
    He comes in does QB rating of 119. I think the only other thing he could of done was go in on D put his hand in the dirt and actually tackle the other QB. If Hanie would have had half that number Lovie would still be the HC today.
  18. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,234 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    492ß
    He is a lot more than that.
  19. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz: