This -N- That

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, May 14, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    Ripped from various BEARS outlets :

Here's my underrated team for the 2014 NFL Draft. It wouldn't surprise me if a few of these names are more well-known in a few years than they are now.

Quarterback: David Fales, Chicago Bears (San Jose State, sixth round)

The Chicago Bears found a perfect match for Marc Trestman in David Fales. Fales isn't all that big and doesn't have the strongest arm, but he is able to make all of the throws, and more importantly, he's willing to be aggressive with the football. Fales was dealing with a coaching change this season and also lost some of his playmakers due to injury. Still, he's more accurate and throws the ball with more anticipation than quarterbacks drafted higher than him. He could develop into a starter in Trestman's scheme.
    _________________________________________________________________________-

Wide Receiver: Jeff Janis, Green Bay Packers (Saginaw Valley State, seventh round)

Ted Thompson has a knack for finding value at the wide receiver position. He may have done it again with Jeff Janis of Saginaw Valley State. Physically, Janis is a beast. He showed how explosive he was at the NFL Scouting Combine, but it seems he got lost in a deep wide receiver class. Janis will have to adjust to the level of competition, but he dominated in his final year of college. He could be a steal for Green Bay.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/10/5703808/undrafted-free-agent-signings-tracker-2014-nfl-draft
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Carey highlights. Don't believe I ever have watched him play as west coast games are to late for me. However he has a real nose for the end zone on short and goal. I like that, I like it a lot.
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    He does seem to have good vision and toughness but might be too slow to get around the edge in the NFL.
    But he is so shifty. You give him an inch and he has another 5 yards. I want to see more of him in the preseason. He looks like a secret weapon/game breaker
    Wonder if Carey has done kick returns? Hester was shifty and lightning fast when he found a lane
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    As for Brandon Hardin - he was released by the Bears with an injury settlement. He's on the roster of the Jets now.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    ESPN power-ranks the league post-draft.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2014/week/0
    On more than one occasion general manager Phil Emery has talked about looking to make the Bears a bigger team. But last weekend’s draft took that to whole new levels.

Beyond the obvious in the form of defensive tackle Ego Ferguson (6-foot-3, 315 pounds), Emery drafted a punter in Pat O’Donnell who is taller than any Bears linebacker and half of the defensive linemen. More than that, Emery drafted a punter and a safety who bench-press virtually the equal or more than any of the three offensive and defensive linemen the Bears drafted.

[MORE: Bears agree to terms with draft picks Brock Vereen, David Fales]

Ferguson benched 225 pounds a total of 24 times at the NFL Scouting Combine. So did fellow incoming defensive tackle Will Sutton. Offensive tackle Charles Leno did 21 reps.

O’Donnell did 23. Even running back Ka’Deem Carey put up the 225 pounds 19 times. Brock Vereen, at 5-foot-11, 199 pounds, did 25 reps, giving new meaning to the phrase “strong safety.”

“He's very strong, he's a really good tackler, so I don't see his size as a deterrent,” Emery said.
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Fales was selected by the Bears at No. 183. The 6-2, 212-pounder started all 25 games at San Jose State the past two seasons, passing for 4,193 yards and 33 touchdowns in 2012 and 4,189 yards and 33 TDs in 2013.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Vereen-Fales-agree-to-4-year-deals/5d89fd4f-3797-4aa0-a4bf-4242fe782bba
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,403 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    564ß
    I'll have a double order of THIS and a half order of THAT. Hold the green peppers.
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    From chicagofootball.com

Notebook: Bears rookie minicamp, Day One

LAKE FOREST — Marc Trestman ran his standard up-tempo practice to open rookie minicamp at Halas Hall with 28 players under contract and another 38 rookie tryout players. The practice was held inside the Walter Payton Center.

"The focus today was not only to execute your assignment but the focus today was to go as fast as you can until the whistle blows after the ball was snapped," Trestman said.

Here are some observations from Chicago Football’s Bears beat reporters Kevin Fishbain and Arthur Arkush from the first day of rookie minicamp.

• Reggie Herring made his presence felt from moment we walked in. Worked up a great lather - definitely a yeller.

• Fales' throwing motion is funky. He kind of pushes the ball, even on shorter throws. Overall, Fales' accuracy wasn't as good as I expected. Thew behind a few receivers over the middle.

• Good to see DBs like Demontre Hurst and Kyle Fuller constantly trying to punch ball out. Hurst did force a fumble of Ka'Deem Carey in 7-on-7's.

• Carey might not be a blazer, but he's field fast. Brought really nice energy and some evident niftiness after catch.

• TE Dustin Greenwell (workout player from St. Francis) was catching everything in sight. Some impressive grabs away from his body, including one from Fales well behind him. Appeared to tweak his knee at one point, but didn't miss time and impressed as a receiver.

• As Trestman said, Jordan Lynch didn't look out of place. Showed soft hands out of backfield, regained his balance quickly after one stumble post-catch.

• Kyle Sebetic, workout safety out of Dayton, dropped a gift-wrapped INT. Didn't catch who threw it, though.

• O'Donnell hit the ceiling of the Payton center at least three times. He clearly has a big leg to accompany the cut-up physique.

-Arthur Arkush

• Christian Jones absolutely looks the part and lined up at the “Sam” linebacker spot to start his push to make the Bears’ roster. He said after practice that while he has a lot of versatility, he is looking forward to focusing on one spot, and for now, that is on the strong side.

• Veterans Robbie Gould, Kyle Long and Jordan Mills were around watching the practice. First-year players eligible to participate in the minicamp this year were QB Jerrod Johnson, CB Demontre Hurst, FB Willie Carter, OT Joe Long, DT Tracy Robertson, OT Rogers Gaines, P Tress Way, LB Lawrence Wilson and long snappers Chad Rempel and Brandon Hartson.

• Carey seems to be one of those “quicker than fast” backs who should complement Matt Forte well, based on what we saw today. He has a jitterbug-type look in the open field, though he won’t run away from defenders like Forte can.

• We got our first look at Ego Ferguson next to Will Sutton at defensive tackle, a pairing the Bears hope to see for years to come. Sutton made a nice play near the end of practice, getting past an O-lineman to knock down a pass.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +999 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Thanks JJ. That was what I was hoping to see.

Good to hear Sutton penetrating some. Carey is interesting. We always could use a good back and it appears he might be one, but I would rather have had a punishing type pounding runner. His style might be different than Forte, but not a completely different style that you could bring in to pound on a strong line or try to push it in on short yardage. Not complaining, just kind of thinking out loud,

Didn't read anythin about Vareen - I was hoping he stood out a little.

Jones may be our biggest steal and I was worried about LB. If only he was at MLB.
    O'Donnell seems to have the leg. Hopefully he also has some accuracy.
    I don't like to hear about Fale's throwing motion, but have to believe that Trestman was aware and he felt he could do what he needed to develop him. So not too happy about it, but not viewing it as a huge problem at this point.
    I like the CBs trying to do the mini-me peanut punch.
    Herring looks like he is an old school hard nosed coach. That is what I had read before and it sounds like he is as advertised.

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,403 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    564ß
    Yeah, sounds like Carey is exactly what we expected. Quicker than he is fast and a smart runner. So what if he runs a 4.7 40. I doubt Walter was any faster than that either. He seldom ran away from people either but he also seldom lost yardage on a carry and seldom fumbled. If Carey can handle some of that load I'll be pleased.

I hope Christian Jones shows up well later this summer too. Watching his highlight vids it's hard to figure why a hot read for drugs at the combine was all that kept him from being drafted. He looked pretty damn good to me on film. We could surely use another LB prospect. Not surprise by Lynch's showing either. The kid is just a damn good football player period. He's gonna be my dark horse guy all summer long.
  6. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Grizz was saying in another thread that if there was ever extra curricular activity after the whistle that it was sure bet Jones was in the middle of it. Talking shit, taunting, shoving, whatever other kind of stuff you can imagine. I think another point Grizz made was about his ability to digest a playbook.

I think another thing to contribute to the drop is no one getting a read on him too long as he was switching position within the set of LB positions as well as spending a considerable amount of time last season as an edge rusher. Didn't really stay in one spot too long. Perhaps he matures under the realization that it takes a lot to make it in the NFL. Maybe being a UDFA can be a wake up call of sorts. He came here because of a connection to Reggie Herring so perhaps Reggie can light a fire under the guy and get him executing plays and learning the playbook. I'm hoping so at least because the talent sure as hell is there.
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 36s
    Aaron Kromer says the #Bears are broadening their offense because the coaches now have a much better idea what each player is good at.

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 8s
    Aaron Kromer on Jordan Lynch: "Lynch out here so far has played tailback the whole time and is showing that he has instincts running."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 46s
    Aaron Kromer on David Fales: "Right now, he's challenging to be on the team." Kromer hopes he can eventually compete for the number two job.

Jeff Dickerson ‏@ESPNChiBears 1m
    Kromer thinks QB David Fales has "picked it up really quickly." #Bears

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 1m
    Kromer: "You want the quarterback to walk in and throw strikes." But, he warns it takes time.

EDIT: Just gonna keep editing cause I'm not about to spam with 40 straight Chi66 posts.
  9. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Kromer says he feels good about his current starting five on the offensive line, but if someone plays poorly they could be replaced.

Kromer on Ka'Deem Carey: "When he sees a hole, he's able to get north."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 41s
    Kromer on Carey: "When he decides to put his foot on the floor, he doesn't dance. He goes."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 40s
    Kromer on Carey: "I didn't see a 4.7 on tape...He can get from point A to point B in a hurry."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 25s
    Kromer on Kyle Long's growth as a player: "He's coming from an infant who couldn't feed himself to a graduate from college."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 33s
    Kromer says Kyle Long will remain at right guard for now. "We want the protection system to start from the inside out," he said.

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 30s
    #Bears rookies practiced outside at Halas Hall for the first time. Pat O'Donnell just missed the International Space Station on one punt. (lol)

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 15s
    Marc Trestman: "The harder we can make practices, the easier the games are."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 16s
    Marc Trestman on Jordan Lynch: "He's got very good eyes and he's got great vision utilizing those eyes."

Jeff Dickerson ‏@ESPNChiBears 17s
    Marc Trestman says #Bears are keeping a close watch on UDRFA LB Christian Jones. "He has athleticism," Trestman said.

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 25s
    Marc Trestman on 6-8 tryout TE Andre McDonald: "We've seen him out there."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 22s
    Marc Trestman says it's very fair to call Jordan Palmer will have the first chance to be the backup quarterback. "There's a competition."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 30s
    Trestman says he expects to go camp with four QBs, possibly three. Right now, he says there are two spots for three guys for final roster.

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 19s
    Joe DeCamillis on Pat O'Donnell: "He's got a live leg."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 14s
    DeCamillis on O'Donnell: "You do like a guy who's not afraid to put his face in there and tackle."

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 37s
    DeCamillis points out that Weems, Hixon and former CFL star Chris Williams have all scored TDs as return men.
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    • Like Like x 1
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,403 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    564ß
    Thanks for the updates brother. Lynch and Jones are two guys who have a real good shot at making the roster because we have room for a 3rd RB and another LB if both can play STeams well.

For a guy with Jones obvious talent to go undrafted there must be more than just the failed UA that concerned teams. Sounds to me like he's a little undisciplined in more ways than one so he's a gamble but maybe this is where the Herring connection helps. Sounds like Jones needs to be around vet players and a tough coach who makes him toe the line. They don't often get that in college and it's obvious in quite a few younger players.

Besides that he could be a victim of the same things Vereen was. By moving around as much as he has maybe no one had as much tape on him as they would have liked but from what I saw the kid has a motor and he knows how to find the ball. We need a LB who shows up to play much harder than Greene did last year and maybe this is the guy who'll push him up or out.

Lynch is just a natural football player and he has the right attitude about his career. Heisman votes rarely mean much in the NFL since half those guy are utter failures once they leave the systems that made them great in college and hit the pros. I'm just basing my opinions about him from what I saw on his game tapes. He knows what to do when he's carrying the football. He has great vision, instincts, a little bit of make you miss, and he's a very tough runner to bring down for his size. He plays much bigger than he is. There's a lot they can do with him if he sticks.

Carey never looked as slow in his vids as he timed. He may not have long speed but once he gets moving he can keep his speed up while making cuts and he's another tough runner to tackle because of his height. The perfect compliment to Forte's style is a simple one cut north/south back who can get some tough yards inside and still has the ability to make people miss. Bush actually had a little of that too but so does Carey and he's a lot cheaper.

This is gonna sound a little blasphemous but there's a but of Payton in Carey. Walter was never that fast either but he was a very productive back in college and a prolific scorer just like Carey has been. Whenever Walter needed to gain a couple of yards for a 1st down or make the end zone on a crucial goal line play he always found a way to do it. I see that in Carey as well. He's not as flashy as a Reggie Bush type but he's also far more dependable when you need a guy to get you some positive yardage.

I think we added some nice offensive depth with Carey and Lynch and also protected ourselves against a serious injury or a major decline in Forte's production. These guys are both good investments. Jones will be as well if he matures as a player and realizes the NFL isn't Florida State and what goes there won't cut it in the NFL.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,403 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    564ß
    STeams needed some major improvement and it looks like Emery paid some attention to that as well. Sometimes we forget just how important it is to have players who may not be the best position players out there but they are Steams demons and those guys are involved in a lot of big plays too.

Guys like McCray, Jordan Senn, Sherrick McManis, Craig Steltz, and Dante Rosario are all top STeams guys who can still fill in at a position if needed. They aren't starting caliber but they vets who have lasted a long time in the NFL based on being valuable on coverage teams and as backups. We needs guys like this too.
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    (CBS) Salary cap numbers for the eight Bears draft picks, who have all signed contracts already, were revealed in a report by the Chicago Tribune’s Brad Biggs on Thursday afternoon. For the most part, the numbers were straightforward and expected, as under the NFL’s slotted system in the new CBA, rookie deals have become fairly standardized.

Chicago’s top pick and No. 14 overall in the draft, cornerback Kyle Fuller has a four-year contract that is worth $9.867 million — all of which is guaranteed, Biggs reported. Fuller’s signing bonus is worth about $5.365 million, according to Biggs. It is somewhat unusual for a contract to be fully guaranteed.

Here’s the base salary breakdown for Fuller.

Defensive tackle Ego Ferguson, the team’s second-round pick, has a $1.3 million signing bonus and a four-year contract with a $4.1 million total value — $1.9 million of which is guaranteed, according to Biggs.

Third-round pick Will Sutton, a defensive tackle, has a four-year deal worth about $3.115 million, with a signing bonus of $568,068, which is his guaranteed money, Biggs wrote.

The Bears have about $6.186 million in cap space, according to CBSChicago.com columnist and cap guru Dan Durkin.
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    DREW CAREY as a Running Back... currently hosting a TV game show.

Two-time first-team All-American selection (2012-13). 2013: First-team All-Pac-12 and Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year. Played in 12 games and had 119 or more yards rushing in each game. Had only two games without a rushing touchdown (vs. California and USC). Had 206 yards rushing and four touchdowns against Oregon. 2012: First-team All-Pac-12 pick after leading FBS with 148.4 rushing yards per game. Had 24 scrimmage touchdowns, the fifth-most in FBS. 2011: Played in 11 games and finished second on the team with 425 rushing yards.

Analysis

Strengths Outstanding two-year production -- piled up 3,814 yards and 42 touchdowns on the ground from 2012-13, ranking among the nation's most prolific. Terrific compete level and determination -- runs with energy, doesn’t go down easily and punctuates runs. Tries to punish tacklers and keeps his legs pumping -- grinds out yards after contact. Good feet, acceleration and lateral agility. Spins off contact. Reliable shot receiver. Gets upfield with urgency after the catch and has enough shiftiness to create. Willing to throw a shoulder blow into rushers. Can handle a heavy workload -- averaged 26 carries per game the last two seasons.

Weaknesses Lacks ideal size and has a narrow, high-cut build with a lean lower body. Upright running style exposes his body to some direct hits and durability could be an issue. Does not string moves together and does not have elite breakaway speed. Average wiggle and elusiveness (cuts off his heels). Faced light boxes in a spread, zone-read offense. Had nearly 850 touches in college and body has already endured a lot of punishment. Has been removed from some team boards for off-the-field transgressions/suspensions.

Bottom Line Highly productive, hard-charging slasher who runs more competitively than he does powerfully and picks up yardage in chunks. Has some first-round traits and is one of the most instinctive runners in this year's draft class, though his stock could be affected by off-the-field troubles.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,403 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    564ß
    These aren't really their cap numbers just the terms of their contracts. I posted them for all 8 picks the other day. Because of the slotting it makes getting these guys signed before any OTAs pretty easy. No more holdouts.

What's interesting and confirms what MP and I have posted before is that if the Bears still have $6.186 mil in cap space it didn't take anywhere near $5 mil to sign the rookies. We surely didn't have $11 mil in cap space before the draft. My estimate for the 2014 cap costs for the three top picks is about $2.7 mil. The rest of the picks aren't likely to even be in the top 51 and if they are they'll simply replace another minimum salary and that's a zero sum gain.
  16. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    Hey Soul it sounds like we have money to play with.

In addition we dont know what other teams may cut that we could use.

This aint over yet. Im going on record that the FA's ... Drafts and UDFA's is the best Ive seen in the last ten years and more.

The defense was obnoxious and was addressed in FA .. the Draft ... and UDFA's.

You cant ask for better then that.
  17. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    The Bears have reportedly signed a pair of players who tried out at their rookie minicamp this weekend.

According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears have signed rookie tailback Senorise Perry. The 6-foot, 187-pound Louisville product racked up 1,409 yards and gained 4.9 yards per carry in his collegiate career (2010-2013).

Also, the Bears have also signed rookie cornerback Marcus Trice, he said on Twitter on Sunday. Trice (5-8, 193) notched 153 tackles and intercepted seven passes for North Texas from 2012 through 2013. He began his collegiate career at Oklahoma.

While the Bears look to be adding two rookies, they have parted ways with veteran punter Drew Butler, according to Aaron Wilson of National Football Post. The 25-year-old Butler was the Steelers’ punter in 2012, posting a 43.8-yard gross average (37.8 net).

Sixth-round rookie Pat O’Donnell is expected to be the Bears’ punter this season.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,403 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    564ß
    There's some cap space there if the find a guy they can't live without but for the most part that's a reserve for in season contingencies cause by injuries. Hopefully we'll have enough depth to avoid much of that but you never know.

The can also use it later in the year for extensions or roll it over into the 2015 cap if they still have an excess. I think the big moves are over now but you never know who might pop up on a waiver wire.
  19. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    Ripped from other BEARS outlets :

Called my Miami buddy when we made trade for Marshall to rub it in that we stole him for two 3rd round picks. Trade turned out better than I ever expected. Marshall has turned into a team leader. Listening to Jay Cutler show last season, Jay gives Brandon a lot of credit for influencing him in a positive manner. Looking back on that trade it is the defining moment that Emery was the real deal.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________-

Watched the Marshall interview with Ditka at Ditka's the other day. He reminded Marshall that the QB he played with in the 63 championship team came out of Vanderbilt.

c'mon now

Just for shiggles, I checked out the kicking stats for that 63 team. Bobby Joe Green averaged 46.5 yards per kick with a long of 66. But as far as field goals are concerned, they had a designated PAT guy who for some reason Halas allowed to live went for a pathetic 1 for 10 on field goals. The other guy, LB Roger LeClerc, was 13 of 23 and averaged 50% of FG made throughout his career. We're talking Carlos Huerta territory here and the goals posts were not in the back of the end zone. I often wondered how often players would get hurt ramming their head into the goal posts back in the day.

[​IMG]
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,403 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    564ß
    Bob Jencks was the other kicker but I don't recall why Halas used both of them since LeClerc was the better of the two by far. Bobby Jo Green was one of the best P the Bears ever had and he was with the team for a long time too.

I think that trade for Marshall is gonna go down as one of the best in NFL history. That was the first time Uncle Phil showed how well he did his homework and how thoroughly he had Marshall vetted before he pulled the trigger. Like taking home a poker pot with a pair of 3s. LOL