This -N- That

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, May 14, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +224 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    Five best offenses in the NFL in 2014:

by Erik Lambert

Denver reigned supreme in 2013 as the best NFL offense. Will anyone unseat them in 2014? Here are the top five projected.

#5 – Detroit Lions

Things have approached a zenith for the Detroit Lions. Their core talent is in their prime and the window for seizing a championship won’t get much better. At the center of it is their offense. Already laden with proven commodities like Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush and Matthew Stafford, the team used the 2014 off-season to hopefully bring it all together. They added solid receiver Golden Tate in free agency to help compliment Johnson and then grabbed dynamic tight end Eric Ebron in the draft. Combined with an offensive line that allowed just 23 sacks in 2013, the Lions are poised to debut in the top 5.

#4 – Chicago Bears

Talent is what drove the Chicago Bears offense to heights it hasn’t seen in decades. Despite injuries at quarterback they finished 2013 eighth in total offense and second in scoring. However, it’s no longer skill but stability that will bring about improvement for them in year two under head coach Marc Trestman. Their three-headed monster of Brandon Marshall, Matt Forte and Alshon Jeffery might be the best in football. Jay Cutler won’t have to change offenses for the first time since 2011, a highly underrated benefit to his growth. Throw in an offensive line that gave up just 30 sacks a year ago and is returning all five starters and there is reason to fear the Monsters of the Midway.

#3 – Philadelphia Eagles

Chip Kelly is an offensive mastermind who always finds a way to create points on the scoreboard. That alone makes the Philadelphia Eagles dangerous. Never mind they have the reigning rushing champion in LeSean McCoy and a quarterback in Nick Foles who threw 27 touchdowns to just two interceptions a year ago. Add in veteran spark plug Darren Sproles, returning veteran Jeremy Maclin, promising tight end Zach Ertz and rookie sleeper Jordan Matthews and that is the makings of a versatile and multidimensional attack that will be hard to stop for even the best defenses.

#2 – Denver Broncos

Can things actually get better for what was the best offense in NFL history, statistically? Losing Eric Decker was a blow but in his place the Denver Broncos swiftly added Emmanuel Sanders and then scooped up Cody Latimer in the draft. Pro Bowl left tackle Ryan Clady is set to return and improvements on defense should only give Peyton Manning even more opportunities to touch the ball. The only real question mark surrounding this juggernaut is the running game. Montee Ball is ready to replace Knowshon Moreno but he is not yet proven. If he plays up to his talent, then the Broncos will stampede the league again.

#1 – Green Bay Packers

Want to know a scary statistic? The Green Bay Packers had the 3rd overall offense in the NFL in 2013. Keep in mind that they accomplished that feat playing 7 of 16 games without Aaron Rodgers. Imagine if he makes it through the entire season healthy? Now it’s important to remember James Jones and Jermichael Finley are gone, leaving two holes in the passing attack. At the same time Eddie Lacy is growing into a Pro Bowler at running back and Randall Cobb should return at full strength to compliment Jordy Nelson. Throw in a boon of additions at wide receiver from the draft including Davante Adams and Jared Abbrederis and the weaponry is abundant for the best quarterback in the business.
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    Wow, GB, Chi, and Detroit all in the top 5. Pretty impressive for the old Black and Blue division.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,019 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    Hard to believe they are saying 3 of the top 5 offenses in the NFL this year are NFCN teams. Green Bay and Detroit will be powerhouse offenses, and we can't count on Aaron Rodgers going down for 7 games again this year. We'd better hope that our defense is truly fixed and Tucker can coach.
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  4. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I can't believe we've reached a point where the Bears are continuously being talked about as a top 5 offense. OFFENSE. It just seems like yesterday when Hester was our #1, and we had Roy Williams and SausageBacon and Rashead Davis. I can't believe how far they have come.

And besides being pessimistic about Briggs (sorry), I feel the defense will be surprisingly good.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    That's exactly what I thought. When's the last time that happened if ever? If three of four NFCN teams have top five offenses then it all comes down to who has the best defense of that bunch doesn't it?

We have an offense that can put 30 points or more per game on the board but do we have a defense that can keep the other guys under 30, or better yet under 20 like the defenses of old? If they can we win.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,019 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    That is exactly how I see it.

And also, there will be games against the best teams, where we won't score 30. We may have a day where we score 14 or 17 points. In those games, against top teams, the defense HAS to be stout or you lose. It's that simple. Now that we have a solid offense in Chicago, it's not like the defense is optional equipment now. We still need a solid D too.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Yeah it'd be a bitch if we'd just reversed things and now we have perennial top 5 offenses and bottom ten defenses and go right back to a string of 8-8 and 9-7 years. From this point forward 10 wins should be a mediocre year.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +224 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß

Exactly ... Frisco and Seattle arent happy with 10-6 and neither should we.

Some say we are in a rebuilding year ... you cant be in a rebuilding year EVER anymore.

We will get passed by. The likes of the NFC North ... and the rest of the NFL will beat us.

This isnt your fathers CHICAGO BEARS anymore.
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,264 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,656ß
    As has been said, 3 of the top 5 offenses are right her in the NFCN. That means that we have to compete against 2 of the top 5 just to win our division. Not fun to think about. We have to continue to accumulate firepower as well as try to put together a top 5 defense. There is just to much offensive capabilty in our division to think we can get by with an ok defense. It's not just one other good team where we can hope to lose and maybe still get in an oa wildcard. We have to come in no worse than second to win a wildcard, and even better ti win the division. That means either the ability to outscore Rogers or to be able to contain their offense. In reality, you probably need to do a fair amount of both, but with where we are in our division we catually need to shoot for a top 3 defense.

Kind of sucks, but I think we can get there or pretty close.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    More than the actual act of Rodgers coming back it's the fact they have a true #1 RB for the first time in forever that really worries me about GB. You can't just concentrate on the pass with them anymore and when you focus shutting down the run (which won't be nearly as easy as in years past) you're going to give Rodgers more opportunities. I hope we have what it takes on defense to stifle that potent offense.

How weird is it that Monsters of the Midway is now being used to describe our monster offense?

Detroit adding Golden Tate is pretty big. Calvin will always draw coverage and Tate isn't one known for drops. Ebron will benefit from those two commanding most of the attention, along with Bush who's great outta the backfield.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Well you can but it's more like substituting on the fly. The more dominant teams have been able to do that but it takes very good planning and coordination between the coaching staff and the GM.

I think you have to look at your roster and plan the longer term strategies of who you'll be replacing within the next couple of year and then draft with an eye towards filling those positions that way whenever you can. Draft the player and let him spend a year or two learning the position playing behind the vet he'll be replacing. If you're good at it the team loses very little when they lose that vet either to retirement or in free agency. The Pack has been masters at this.

I see this as a big part of Emery's longer term plans but in order to win now he knows he needs to use vet free agents to at least bring the overall caliber of the team back up to playoff level. So he's doing that along with mixing in draft picks and younger less expensive free agents who may be about ready to break out as core vets. I see his plan and each year he's gotten a little better at doing it. Give him one or two more drafts and I think we'll see a lot more home grown players than we have now.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

I think this is a great post. This is exactly what we're facing within our own division and it isn't just the Packers any longer. We can't count on the Lions to continue to mess up their seasons every year with stupid plays and bad coaching and even if Minny isn't quite competitive yet they still have AP and they can still be tough to beat at home.

For once though I think we finally have a front office and ownership who realizes that and that just gradually getting better won't cut it. Everyone else in the NFCN is doing that too. We needed to get aggressive and start taking steps three at a time as opposed to one at a time and I believe that's what Emery has trying to do.

I don't think it's a big mystery to anyone that in the modern era the top Bears teams have always had a dominating smothering defense who caused mistakes and turnovers and allowed the other guys very few points. We can't even expect to win our own division without it let alone a Super Bowl. Emery made some bold moves in that direction this offseason and I'm just dying to see the results.
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +224 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    WORST DEFENSE IN BEARS HISTORY !

Well theres two places to go ... UP or DOWN.

First four picks in the draft all DEFENSE ... yeah that RB also.

What the hell needed to be addressed ? DL and SECONDARY.

Mission accomplished.

Lets turn the fricken screws on.

Mambo these punks on other teams !

Lets CHICAGO BEARS these bastards !

I want their heads on a PIKE paraded.

JJ what the hell is a PIKE ?

Glad you asked ... a PIKE is where you mount your opponents HEAD on a stick after you have WON !

All I want is CHICAGO BEARS to be CREDIBLE. AND BE CHICAGO BEARS!!
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +224 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    JIMI HENDRIX is on a U.S.FIRST CLASS postage stamp! Go buy one and see for yourself !

BEARRRRRRRSSSSSE !!
  15. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +224 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    Green Bay Packers - WR Davante Adams, TE Colt Lyerla

After selecting safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, the Packers went offense in the second round, grabbing prolific Fresno State pass catcher Davante Adams. As Jason Hirschhorn of Acme Packing Company told me, he's already making a lot of noise in Packers camp even after arriving late due to his school schedule. Adams' skill set would likely work in any NFL offense, but the prospect of pairing his superb box-out and jump-ball skills with a fearless and absurdly accurate Aaron Rodgers makes this one of the more intriguing picks of the Draft's first two days.

Not even a pick like Adams could overshadow the Packers' decision to try out and eventually sign tight end Colt Lyerla. He was once thought to be a first-round talent, but fell off of teams' radars when he abruptly quit at Oregon and accumulated a series of troubling off-field incidents. Despite his amazing talent, Lyerla went undrafted and even went unsigned as a UDFA, only to earn a tryout spot in Green Bay. He's apparently made an impression there in Green Bay, whose coaching staff and front office decided to give him a shot. It'll be something to watch as the offseason goes on.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

We could have had Colt but for some reason that Emery knows , we didnt. Even with our need for another TE.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Emery has always vetted draftees and free agents well and he's never shown an unwillingness to take some calculated risks with guys who've had both on field and off field issues. The trade for Marshall and the drafting of guys like ERod, James Brown, Wilson, Jones, and Carey are reasonable examples of that.

So there sits Lyerla, undrafted and former teammate of Kyle Long, and yet Emery still passes on him. To me he must have had very strong reasons for doing that. No one doubts the kid can play but if he's a risk to get suspended or won't fit in personality wise then maybe it was good that we passed.

The Packers have always seemed to be more willing to take a chance on bad boys then we have and more power to them. If he turns out to be a stud then they should be rewarded for taking the risk but I think the kid is a whole bunch of trouble just waiting to happen. I'm perfectly content to let him poison someone else's well.
  17. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    If he's poison, let's hope he poisons a very cheesy well.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +224 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    It really comes down to as to why we didnt get this guy when TE was a need ...

and we passed.

I dont know the guys history ... but sombody must that passed on him.
  19. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +224 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

His more recent troubles have been well publicized and it's more than a little unsettling. The worst part is imagining that he really does have a drug problem which means he won't be playing much in between his suspensions since the NFL seems to be coming down pretty hard on those.

It's not like Emery won't take a chance on a guy who walked away from his team because he drafted Wilson so there has to be far more to it than that because we could have used him but some guys just can't be fixed and maybe he's one.