This -N- That

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, May 14, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Well you can but it's more like substituting on the fly. The more dominant teams have been able to do that but it takes very good planning and coordination between the coaching staff and the GM.

I think you have to look at your roster and plan the longer term strategies of who you'll be replacing within the next couple of year and then draft with an eye towards filling those positions that way whenever you can. Draft the player and let him spend a year or two learning the position playing behind the vet he'll be replacing. If you're good at it the team loses very little when they lose that vet either to retirement or in free agency. The Pack has been masters at this.

I see this as a big part of Emery's longer term plans but in order to win now he knows he needs to use vet free agents to at least bring the overall caliber of the team back up to playoff level. So he's doing that along with mixing in draft picks and younger less expensive free agents who may be about ready to break out as core vets. I see his plan and each year he's gotten a little better at doing it. Give him one or two more drafts and I think we'll see a lot more home grown players than we have now.

2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß

I think this is a great post. This is exactly what we're facing within our own division and it isn't just the Packers any longer. We can't count on the Lions to continue to mess up their seasons every year with stupid plays and bad coaching and even if Minny isn't quite competitive yet they still have AP and they can still be tough to beat at home.

For once though I think we finally have a front office and ownership who realizes that and that just gradually getting better won't cut it. Everyone else in the NFCN is doing that too. We needed to get aggressive and start taking steps three at a time as opposed to one at a time and I believe that's what Emery has trying to do.

I don't think it's a big mystery to anyone that in the modern era the top Bears teams have always had a dominating smothering defense who caused mistakes and turnovers and allowed the other guys very few points. We can't even expect to win our own division without it let alone a Super Bowl. Emery made some bold moves in that direction this offseason and I'm just dying to see the results.

3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +250 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    WORST DEFENSE IN BEARS HISTORY !

Well theres two places to go ... UP or DOWN.

First four picks in the draft all DEFENSE ... yeah that RB also.

What the hell needed to be addressed ? DL and SECONDARY.

Mission accomplished.

Lets turn the fricken screws on.

Mambo these punks on other teams !

Lets CHICAGO BEARS these bastards !

I want their heads on a PIKE paraded.

JJ what the hell is a PIKE ?

Glad you asked ... a PIKE is where you mount your opponents HEAD on a stick after you have WON !

All I want is CHICAGO BEARS to be CREDIBLE. AND BE CHICAGO BEARS!!

4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +250 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    JIMI HENDRIX is on a U.S.FIRST CLASS postage stamp! Go buy one and see for yourself !

BEARRRRRRRSSSSSE !!

5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +250 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    Green Bay Packers - WR Davante Adams, TE Colt Lyerla

After selecting safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, the Packers went offense in the second round, grabbing prolific Fresno State pass catcher Davante Adams. As Jason Hirschhorn of Acme Packing Company told me, he's already making a lot of noise in Packers camp even after arriving late due to his school schedule. Adams' skill set would likely work in any NFL offense, but the prospect of pairing his superb box-out and jump-ball skills with a fearless and absurdly accurate Aaron Rodgers makes this one of the more intriguing picks of the Draft's first two days.

Not even a pick like Adams could overshadow the Packers' decision to try out and eventually sign tight end Colt Lyerla. He was once thought to be a first-round talent, but fell off of teams' radars when he abruptly quit at Oregon and accumulated a series of troubling off-field incidents. Despite his amazing talent, Lyerla went undrafted and even went unsigned as a UDFA, only to earn a tryout spot in Green Bay. He's apparently made an impression there in Green Bay, whose coaching staff and front office decided to give him a shot. It'll be something to watch as the offseason goes on.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

We could have had Colt but for some reason that Emery knows , we didnt. Even with our need for another TE.

6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    Emery has always vetted draftees and free agents well and he's never shown an unwillingness to take some calculated risks with guys who've had both on field and off field issues. The trade for Marshall and the drafting of guys like ERod, James Brown, Wilson, Jones, and Carey are reasonable examples of that.

So there sits Lyerla, undrafted and former teammate of Kyle Long, and yet Emery still passes on him. To me he must have had very strong reasons for doing that. No one doubts the kid can play but if he's a risk to get suspended or won't fit in personality wise then maybe it was good that we passed.

The Packers have always seemed to be more willing to take a chance on bad boys then we have and more power to them. If he turns out to be a stud then they should be rewarded for taking the risk but I think the kid is a whole bunch of trouble just waiting to happen. I'm perfectly content to let him poison someone else's well.

7. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +534 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    572ß
    If he's poison, let's hope he poisons a very cheesy well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +250 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    It really comes down to as to why we didnt get this guy when TE was a need ...

and we passed.

I dont know the guys history ... but sombody must that passed on him.

9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +250 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß

His more recent troubles have been well publicized and it's more than a little unsettling. The worst part is imagining that he really does have a drug problem which means he won't be playing much in between his suspensions since the NFL seems to be coming down pretty hard on those.

It's not like Emery won't take a chance on a guy who walked away from his team because he drafted Wilson so there has to be far more to it than that because we could have used him but some guys just can't be fixed and maybe he's one.