This seems we will go with a safety

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,667 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    932ß
    I still like a DT, but this guy is making the same argument for a S that several people here have made, and it is a valid argument. A stud DT, S or CB will all help the team. With CB being more of a help next season than now. It's all speculation and opinion as to which would help more, and even more than that, it's not only which position would help more, but which player in that position over a different player at a different position. Not only do the GMs need to guess what is the best position, they need to figure out who the best player would be once put into their organization with their schemes. Not easy.

Chicago Bears Rumors: Targeting Calvin Pryor in First Round Is The Most Sensible Thing To Do
    April 11, 2014 1:25 am EDT by Clyde A. Speller
    [​IMG]
    Jamie Rhodes-USA TODAY Sports

As the 2014 NFL Draft gets closer, teams are whittling down their list of college prospects who can potentially join their respective organizations. The Chicago Bears have been doing just the same as of late, and focusing on who they should invest their 14th overall pick on this May.

It has been reported that the Bears visited with Louisville safety Calvin Pryor this week. Pryor is one of two safeties that are projected to go in the first round of this year’s draft, along with Alabama’s Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

There is no secret that Chicago’s safety position was atrocious last season. As a result, the organization has already signed free agent safeties Ryan Mundy, M.D. Jennings and Danny McCray, also and re-signed Craig Steltz. On the contrary, the Bears decided not to welcome back Major Wright, who signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Along with the new faces in the secondary and the departure of Wright, the Bears also have to face the dilemma of safety Chris Conte, who is slated to be out 4-5 months after undergoing shoulder surgery.

Not only is Chicago just targeting Pryor, but they have also visited withWashington State safety Deone Bucannon last Tuesday. Unlike Pryor and Clinton-Dix, Bucannon is projected to go in either the second or third round.

It seems apparent that the Bears are centering their attention on the position of safety during the early part of the draft, and I totally agree with this mindset. Although they could use another defensive tackle, Chicago has done a tremendous job of bolstering the Bears’ defensive line with the signings of defensive ends Jared Allen, Lamarr Houston, Willie Young and Israel Idonije, and also re-signing defensive tackles Nate Collins and Jeremiah Ratliff.

The Bears can definitely afford to draft Pryor in the first round because chances are that they can still get their claws on a top-10 interior defensive lineman in the second round. And if for some reason Pryor or Clinton-Dix isn’t available, then Chicago can focus on going defensive tackle with their 14th overall pick, and then set their sights on Bucannon, or even Northern Illinois safety Jimmie Wardduring the second day of the draft.

With the number of new and unproven faces in the secondary, the uncertainty of Conte’s shoulder, and the fact that the defensive line seems to be the strongest part of their defense, targeting Pryor in the first round is the most logical thing to do.

Clyde A. Speller is an NFL writer for RantSports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ClydeASpeller.

Read more athttp://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/...ost-sensible-thing-to-do/?rdifeX5sZAKP3Y0X.99
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +763 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    Very similar to discussions in here. Just wish the draft would hurry up and get here. Sure many articles like this will be forthcoming.
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Either path they take can solve one need in round one and the other in round two. One could just as easily take the statement below and reverse it saying if we take a DT first we'll still have a shot at a top ten DB/S in round two and both would be correct.

"The Bears can definitely afford to draft Pryor in the first round because chances are that they can still get their claws on a top-10 interior defensive lineman in the second round".

Personally I don't much care how they do it just as long as they do. If they have concerns about Donald's size and want a little bigger 3 tech then maybe Quarles satisfies that need in two or one or two others a little farther down. When it comes right down to it I don't think "affordability" is as much of an issue as "availability". Between Pryor and Donald the latter seems to me to be the more "elite" at his position and a far more rare find. I realize good Safeties aren't just a dime a dozen anymore but pass rushing DTs like Donald don't exactly fall in your lap every day either and when you play a 4-3 that depends on pressure you'd ordinarily take one if you could.

Of course there is the Clint Hurtt connection that may lobby for Pryor and Tucker will surely have his say in this as well but for my part I can't imagine Pryor having quite as much overall impact as Donald would. I believe he's far more the SS type which would still leave us with a questionable situation at FS since Mundy is far more a SS too unless Tucker plans to play a lot of Cover-2 where both Safeties are virtually interchangeable. I still see Pryor as a secondary pick to Donald in the event he's gone but if we took Pryor I wouldn't be disappointed. He does fill a need.

Now, Hageman or Nix would downright piss me off though. LOL
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,102 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,195ß
    again this all depends on what they want out of their D players and positions, right now all we can do is speculate. If the team needs a 4-3 pass rush DT tech guy they might well go Donald, if they want a 4-3 scheme that is more like Minny then they'll want a fatty and Donald doesn't fit the bill and might go w/someone in the 2nd or 3rd, if they want a guy that can play NT and DT and play the NT in a 3-4, then they might go Nix.

Also depends on what they want out of the DB's, to many questions w/no answers to get a definitive answer.
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    831ß
    Pryor at #14 would be a reach imo.

If Ha-ha is already gone and Phil still wants a safety in the first, he should trade down. Then he could choose between Fuller, Buccanon and Ward.

--------------------

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-is-a-firstround-2014-draft-pick-analyst-says

Deone Bucannon is a first-round 2014 draft pick, analyst says

If you bring up a team taking a safety in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, chances are you're talking about them selecting Alabama's Ha Ha Clinton-Dix or Louisville's Calvin Pryor. Both players occupy the top two slots on NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock's positional rankings and are considered first-round locks based on recent mock drafts.
    Fellow NFL Media analyst Curtis Conway is all for teams spending an early pick on either Clinton-Dix or Pryor, but thinks most folks are sleeping on Washington State's Deone Bucannon if they miss out on the pair. Conway watches a ton of Pac-12 football during the season, and as a result had plenty of ammunition as he stated his case on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft" that Bucannon is right there with the other two top safeties.

"When I watch this guy on film, he's a pro," said Conway, a former top-10 pick himself. "He's the fastest safety in the draft. He's rated, in my opinion, right there with Clinton-Dix and Pryor because he's just that good.

"This guy is easily a first round draft pick."

It would be a surprise if Bucannon makes it into the first round when the draft rolls around in May thanks to such a deep positional draft, but he probably won't have to wait long before he hears his name called on day two. The 6-foot-1, 211-pounder is currently slotted as Mayock's fourth-rated safety in the draft behind Northern Illinois' Jimmie Ward.
    "I think Bucannon is much more of a pure safety. He can play strong safety but I think he does a nice job in center field too," NFL Media analyst Charles Davis said. "He has better range than people give him credit for and we know he can tackle. Plus he plays huge in the big games."

As many as 12 teams could be looking to draft a safety in the first two rounds of the draft, so there's certainly a market for someone like Bucannon. It might be a stretch to say that all that demand will help push the former Cougars star into the first round but stranger things have happened when teams feel the pressure of draft

Either way, chances are high that one club will find some tremendous value by selecting the hard-hitting Bucannon to boost their secondary.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,259 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    301ß
    If true, this is bad news IMO. Buchannon is my choice for the 51 pick. I was hoping he'd fly under the radar more.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,667 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    932ß
    I was hoping the very same thing
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +607 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    329ß
    Either way I'd say, and this is not an unpopular statement, we have to nail these first 3 picks at least. And in those first 3 picks have to be a dt, a corner, and a safety.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Rookie

Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß

No question safety was a weak spot last year, but it wasn't the only one. There's a few ways the Bears could go.
  10. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Pryor IS NOT a reach at #14. Not even close IMO. He is big and strong enough to take on RBs and TEs and is solid in coverage too. He is being compared to Kam Chancellor and Bob Sanders:

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1957539-why-calvin-pryor-is-a-first-round-safety-in-todays-nfl

With that said, in the article above a strong argument is not only being made about the legitimacy of Calvin Pryor as a draft pick but also the Safety position in general. The top scoring defenses in the league all had better than average Safety play and the days of building your defense up the middle with good inside linebackers and Safeties is in full force again.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    907ß
    +1

And I would have no problem with them doubling up on any of those positions, coming back and taking a 2nd guy in the later rounds as a project, a guy who could be developed to at least be a solid depth player.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +459 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    Pryor is no way no how a reach at 14. He does some things very well (run support, tackling, range, ability to man up in red zone and short yardage) and has no real weakness. (Please don't give me the "he hits too hard" line.) Some including Mayock have him as the num 1 safety above Dix. Dix will go first due to playing in the Sec, but Calvin is a co-best safety IMO.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    907ß
    +1000

To be honest, I laugh (seriously) every time I read about folks worried that as an NFL player he might *gasp* hit another player too hard. Am I missing something here? Do players bruise more easily now? Are we worried about getting a safety who might possibly TACKLE other players? I'm sorry, I think the coaches can teach Pryor how to tackle sure & hard in the NFL without getting fines/flags. It's the players who can't hit or tackle that worry me. We have a boatload of THESE guys. Let's get a safety who can, you know, play football. Somebody who can make plays and tackle opponents.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +459 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    According to a search he was flagged only twice last year for PF. Assuming that he gets no coaching on how to legally hit that would translate to 3 in an NFL season. Well if that were the case it wouldn't be any different than most DBs, and if a guy gives 45 yards up all year to PFs but consistently brings down ball carriers and defends the pass well its a fair trade.

You can still legally hit hard, it just has to be taught. To say a safety "hits too hard" is just laughable, I'm sure he will use it to his advantage and it will be a positive.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    If anything, having a guy on defense who hits hard, can wrap up, and tackles well is one of the main things the Bears defense was sorely missing last year.

Pryor is a guy who can help us vs the pass and vs the run. He's the guy I hope the Bears take. But with Emery's past history of grabbing the surprise player, I doubt that Pryor, Clinton-Dix, or Donald will be Bears next year.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,667 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    932ß
    His hitting is one of the reasons I am as high on him as I am. Certainly, I don't view it as a negative in any way. JMO
  17. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    Just look at how the Seahawks defensive backfield plays. I think the physical play of their safeties and corners had a lot do with the ineffectiveness of Denver's offense in the SB.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,667 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    932ß
    I agree with all of that.
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +459 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    You beat me to it. I was going to use Seattle as an example. They play physical and are an intimidating bunch especially in the defensive backfield. Pryor being able to do this makes him valuable and shouldn't be a knock.
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    418ß
    When people start voting with their posts about what DAA BEARRSSE need in the draft and it keeps coming up ,

DT and Safety ... I think the FANS have spoken.

I dont care who we get but it better be both DT and Safety in the first two rounds.

We know where this shits screwed up at ...