This seems we will go with a safety

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Apr 12, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,314ß
    Ratings:
    +4,618 / 4 / -1
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    +1

And I would have no problem with them doubling up on any of those positions, coming back and taking a 2nd guy in the later rounds as a project, a guy who could be developed to at least be a solid depth player.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    481ß
    Ratings:
    +681 / 3 / -0
    Pryor is no way no how a reach at 14. He does some things very well (run support, tackling, range, ability to man up in red zone and short yardage) and has no real weakness. (Please don't give me the "he hits too hard" line.) Some including Mayock have him as the num 1 safety above Dix. Dix will go first due to playing in the Sec, but Calvin is a co-best safety IMO.

• Like Like x 3
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,314ß
    Ratings:
    +4,618 / 4 / -1
    +1000

To be honest, I laugh (seriously) every time I read about folks worried that as an NFL player he might *gasp* hit another player too hard. Am I missing something here? Do players bruise more easily now? Are we worried about getting a safety who might possibly TACKLE other players? I'm sorry, I think the coaches can teach Pryor how to tackle sure & hard in the NFL without getting fines/flags. It's the players who can't hit or tackle that worry me. We have a boatload of THESE guys. Let's get a safety who can, you know, play football. Somebody who can make plays and tackle opponents.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    481ß
    Ratings:
    +681 / 3 / -0
    According to a search he was flagged only twice last year for PF. Assuming that he gets no coaching on how to legally hit that would translate to 3 in an NFL season. Well if that were the case it wouldn't be any different than most DBs, and if a guy gives 45 yards up all year to PFs but consistently brings down ball carriers and defends the pass well its a fair trade.

You can still legally hit hard, it just has to be taught. To say a safety "hits too hard" is just laughable, I'm sure he will use it to his advantage and it will be a positive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. BelieveInMonsters

ßearz ßuckz:
    171ß
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    If anything, having a guy on defense who hits hard, can wrap up, and tackles well is one of the main things the Bears defense was sorely missing last year.

Pryor is a guy who can help us vs the pass and vs the run. He's the guy I hope the Bears take. But with Emery's past history of grabbing the surprise player, I doubt that Pryor, Clinton-Dix, or Donald will be Bears next year.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,756ß
    Ratings:
    +3,595 / 13 / -0
    His hitting is one of the reasons I am as high on him as I am. Certainly, I don't view it as a negative in any way. JMO

7. dachuckster

dachuckster Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    702ß
    Ratings:
    +617 / 1 / -0
    Just look at how the Seahawks defensive backfield plays. I think the physical play of their safeties and corners had a lot do with the ineffectiveness of Denver's offense in the SB.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,756ß
    Ratings:
    +3,595 / 13 / -0
    I agree with all of that.

9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    481ß
    Ratings:
    +681 / 3 / -0
    You beat me to it. I was going to use Seattle as an example. They play physical and are an intimidating bunch especially in the defensive backfield. Pryor being able to do this makes him valuable and shouldn't be a knock.

10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    815ß
    Ratings:
    +254 / 2 / -1
    When people start voting with their posts about what DAA BEARRSSE need in the draft and it keeps coming up ,

DT and Safety ... I think the FANS have spoken.

I dont care who we get but it better be both DT and Safety in the first two rounds.

We know where this shits screwed up at ...