This seems we will go with a safety

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Apr 12, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    A very, very large Bob Sanders. LOL And Chancellor should be declared to be an illegal player as a Safety. Force Carroll to move him to LB where he belongs. haha

It looks to me this both of the first two round have their Safeties falling into where they're best valued. Dix and Pryor are at the top of the heap and early 1st round picks and Ward and Bucannon probably mid to late second round picks. The steps down between them are probably not as great as many would think once you get them in the NFL.

I seriously doubt Dix will get past the tenth pick and if the Lions take him that almost forces the Rams to take Pryor right in front of us so then we have to look to round two anyway. My guess is the four teams picking right in front of us will swing things one way or another.
    Lions/10th, Titans/11th, Giants/12th, Rams/13th. I think what this bunch does will have the greatest effect on who we end up taking.

The Lions needs a CB or a Safety, The Titans also need a CB to replace Verner, The Giants may jump us for Donald but need a big WR even worse, and The Rams need a Safety too. So what these guys do with their picks will leave us with whatever choices are left or at least that's the way I see it now.
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    401ß
    Or we could always trade up ... or trade down ... but why bother ?

AT #14 somthing is coming to us no matter what. It has to be IMPACT.

Think Kyle Long.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Word of late is that even though Detoilet needs help in the secondary, they may very well be interested in a WR at 10. They may pick Evans straight up or trade up for Watkins. Personally I'd hate to see them pair one of those young WR studs with Megatron and Golden Tate.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,619 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    889ß
    I wonder if that would change our calculus to a CB. A disruptive DT would also help neutralize a passing game, but when he gets the pass off, you need a good secondary.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    If Detoilet takes Evans away from NY that may increase the chances that Donald is then at the top of their board. Maybe that means Dix drops past both Tenn. and NY and now the Rams have their choice of Safeties and we're right behind them knowing one or the other will be there. If the Lions do trade up to get Watkins then it could change almost everything below that.

That's what I won't even think about trades and also why it's virtually impossible to say whether any one particular guy will be there when the Bears pick. All I can do is look at the probable suspects and estimate who might still be there and I'm sure they're doing the same. They have far better intelligence on the other guys in front of them and immediately behind them than we do.

Someone may leapfrog them for a player like Donald too and there's no way to project that except in someone's imagination and mine's not that good. I think in a once removed sense we're only doing what they are. Building our own boards based on our own preferences. It kills time waiting for the real thing and that's about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    Who knows? There are way to many mental gyrations to work through to know. If the Lions present two 6'5" 235lb WRs would we try to cover them with two 5'8" or 5'9" 185lb CBs who can run and jump or would we be better off with a slower and more physical 6'2" CB who goes 200lbs or more? I have no idea.

Few have ever shut down Megatron as effectively as Peanut has so far but I'd say that's at least as much attributable to his football skills as it is his size. Jennings has covered taller receivers at times and hasn't exactly been undressed so who knows. I don't know that a smart GM alters his draft strategy just because a conference foe makes a move and he feels and immediate need to counter it. To me that smacks too much of playground football and Madden games.

Months are spent preparing for the draft. It don't know exactly what goes on but I believe that you build your board and then work off of that. Going off on tangents that haven't been well planned for looks like an accident waiting to happened to me.
  7. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +875 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    829ß
    It wouldn't matter since Stafford is still the one throwing he ball. :D
  8. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +647 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    Teams are allowed 30 tryout visits. Da Bears have used only a few of them, and all have been for safeties. This tells me we are NOT drafting a safety at 14. Emery is the master of lies and deceit. Look at Shea. Look at AJ. Look at Kyle Long. And most recently, look at Jared Allen. Nobody saw any of those picks/signings. Emery is leaking what he wants to leak, and keeping absolute top level secrecy on what he wants kept secret. Safety is a smoke screen, we won't be drafting a safety in the 1st round.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    That could be a very good read. I think he doing his Plan A, B, C, and D. He knows he needs at least one Safety and possibly two so he may be figuring out who slots in what round. If Donald falls before #14 he may be forced into in one anyway Shark. If Donald comes off the board early it should push one or both of the top Safeties back. The question is if Dix is taken will he be OK with Pryor or will he pass on him and wait?
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    That could very well be shark. Long did visit with the Bears last year but most figured it was a 2nd round target. Nobody really saw it coming at 19
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    FWIW there seem to be more Safety prospects who fit into rounds two and three than anyone might have suspected a month ago. Quite a few guys seem to be moving up the boards a bit. They aren't gonna be first year Pro Bowlers but the objective here seems to be upgrading both Safety positions in whatever way we can. To just improve the play doesn't require a top pick. It requires some decent talent and some competition so that the caliber of the guy right behind you is little different than yours and your job is at stake every game and every play you make or don't make.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,619 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    889ß
    By definition, improving talent means getting someone that is more talented than what you currently have. In our case, we may be able to do that with our 6th round picks, LOL
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Yes, but we don't want to go from awful to bad.....I would hope we could get a guy or 2 that could take us from awful to at least average
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,619 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    889ß
    Just making a joke Grizz. Although bad would be good (I may have hurt something there....) at this point.
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Lol so was I....Hopefully if we upgrade we get out of the "they suck" range.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,619 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    889ß
    yeah... It has been a very long time since I felt we had good S play (Brown)