This Years Josh McCown; Clausen, Palmer or Neither?.........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 28, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    869ß

You certainly have a different recollection than I do. Made me go back and find some articles

First article from NFL calls it a toss up and the intangibles of Flynn may beat out Wilson. The second article is more like how I remember the story. Flynn failed to secure either spot.

I guess there is an article on them being even and there is an article on Flynn being unable to win the starting spot. Many other articles but depending on what you read I can see where you would be of a different opininion than me.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-russell-wilson-seahawks-qb-battle-heating-up

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/06/28/matt-flynns-journey-to-the-seattle-seahawks-and-beyond/
  2. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    I'll find the article that changed my opinion in a bit. I have a different example to use.

When Carolina drafted Cam Newon, how much of a competition was there between Clausen and Newton in the eyes of Rivera and their front office? Would you say he failed to secure the starting job or he didn't have a chance to win that spot?
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I do think either guy could do the job of keeping the team afloat and not blowing games when the likely Cutler injury happens. I think Clausen is more likely to be able to do that. He has been a starter before and has some experience. Either's job is simple. Make the right read. Don't force any throws. Get rid of the ball on time. Don't make any catastrophic mistakes.

Look, I like McCown as much as the next guy. He did a very admirable job last year and earned him a raise for winning games from us. But what he did can be repeated. A lot of his numbers came from WRs making great plays and solid protection in order for him to make clear, on time throws. He preformed exactly how you want a backup to, and got some serious help mostly from Jeffery on some amazing catches. So can Clausen or Palmer come in, not screw up, and make great throws? Yeah I think he can.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Yes, exactly what I saw too. A numbers of his biggest plays came off of highlight reel catches. McCown was an excellent game manager who played smart and throws an accurate ball. Expecting the same out of any of the three guys still on the team isn't asking for anymore than we asked for out of McCown. Either they can already do it or they can be coached to do it just as McCown was. The only advantage we had in keeping McCown was that he was already at the spot we expect one of these other guys to be at this year.

All of this becomes mute if Cutler manages to stay uninjured tis year and he's probably overdue for that. We'd all be more likely to accept that if certain media types didn't make such a big deal out of his past injuries just to have something negative to write about him. Haters must hate so they'll always be searching for negatives to exploit and Jay has been giving them far less to do that with. So they feast on the injury thing.

If you all recall we went through this same thing with Forte a few years back and the media was crowing about him being injury prone and wringing their hands over who his backup would be. So we spent a ton of $$$ on Chester Taylor and got fuc....ah, wasted money on him. Then we signed Bush but more because of the contract thing and that was a waste too because Bush could never get Forte off the field. So where was the injury prone thing these last three years? Nowhere, that's where.

We need a vet #2 QB and we'll probably even get a vet #3 but we need to stop letting the media mess with our heads and make us feel positive that we'll actually need one of them to win games this year. It may happen and then again it may not. I'm not renting trouble now I don't want or need.
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,276ß
    I hope we don't have to find out.

But we do have Cutler as the QB, so odds are he will not play all 16 games
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Bears Buckz bet that he will play all 16 games this year. Whatta ya' say?
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,276ß
    Odds are against it, so depending on how much sure.

Guidelines?
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Umm, let's see. How about Cutler starts all 16 regular season games? No one else will start as long as he's capable of that and it eliminates anything like him coming out for a few plays in case he gets his bell rung.

$100 Bearz Bucks.
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,276ß
    I will throw you a bone and add to that. Week 17 if the the Bears have everything locked up they can lock up
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    However you want to do it is fine with me but it's really about him missing a start due to injury not because Trestman decides to sit him after we've clinched a playoff spot. I don't know that he'd do that anyway and if we do clinch I'd be surprised that we weren't still fighting for home field advantage.

I'm betting won't miss a start due to injury because that's what all of the negativism is based on.
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,276ß
    You're in good sir!

I love making bets I hope I lose
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  12. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

KaChing! :7 15 7v[1]:
    :guinness: Last one to the Guinness is a rotten egg!