This Years Josh McCown; Clausen, Palmer or Neither?.........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 28, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,258 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,049ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Anderson started for the Browns for 1 or 2 yrs before moving on to the Panthers. With the Panthers he has since been a back up to Newton. Thus my reference as they both started and no longer are starters.

Not sure what is Backwards here, he could not secure the starting job in Seattle or Oakland.

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,140 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,494ß

It's Trestman and the sick amount of talent that will surround the backup. 2 WR's, a TE and a RB all at or near elite levels, not to mention an OL that can actually protect him is going to make life much easier for any qb, but even more so a backup. Saw that in McCown last year.

• Like Like x 1
  3. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +524 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    It's backwards because you are listing this as a failure. Like he was so bad that he could not beat out Russell Wilson. He never had a shot to beat him. From the accounts I read, during training camp in Seattle, Flynn was running the offense better. Wilson was not very good his first half of his rookie year. But the coaches were going get through those growing pains because he was their future and they could see potential greater than that of Flynn. There was no QB competition. Flynn could never beat out Russell once he made the roster. Think about how different Flynn's situation would have been if Russell had gotten drafted by a different team. He'd have been running an offense with the Seattle defense to back him up and handing the ball off to Beast Mode. Probably would have looked fine but nothing special or a failure.

Then when he was traded to Oakland, they tried to do the exact same thing.

There's a difference between failure and not being given a chance to fail.

4. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Veteran

Ratings:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß

One thing Jay Cutler's history in recent years has shown us is that the back-up QB in Chicago is relevant. McCown, unlike his predecessors, was competent, and if neither Palmer or Clausen are, it will likely spell trouble, as Jay is quite likely to go down at some point. Keep your fingers crossed.

5. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    I like Palmer over Clausen. He's got the year in the system. He's more likely to fulfill the support role to Cutler as a QB room type of guy. He's 30 and 4 years older than Clausen. He's a good 3 inches taller and fits the mold more as a pocket passer who can see the easy reads and just make the simple throws to give the WR's a chance. He's a smart guy with other business interests outside of football and who's had a turn at coaching with can really help your own game.

I don't think 10 career starts gives Clausen a significant advantage. I think Palmer will win the number 2 job in training camp and I'm hoping Fales shows enough that they keep him around as well.

6. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,336 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    Of the two, Clausen's resume is similar to McCown's. Former starter, journeyman, and generally overlooked or written off by most teams. I think the humbling has a good chance of bringing on the types of changes that we saw reflected in McCown last year.

7. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +524 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    I'd disagree. Palmer's background closer to McCown's than Clausen. Both are coaches. Both have been on multiple teams. Both played out of the league in the UFL which might have given them a kind of desperation and willingness to try with everything they got when they got here. They both were used to being second fiddle and having to prepare without getting snaps. Clausen has been on one team as a #3 since 2011 and one year in 2010 as a part time starter until he was benched.

Hey, maybe Clausen is ready to be a journeyman, and has the work ethic and experience it takes to self teach himself an offense. While I can see Palmer doing everything he can to help Cutler prepare because that's one way to make his value known, he'd be cutting his own throat if he helps Clausen or Fales right now. Those two are going to have to do it on their own.

8. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +524 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    I know there are a lot of posters excited about Clausen. Until I see him throw a pass now, in the present, on this team, in this offense, I have my doubts. I've seen Palmer throw a ball in preseason with less than a week to prepare. He moved the ball and did not look bad doing it. I formed my opinion about McCown that he still could play in the NFL after seeing his two games as a Bear in 2011. Small sample size, I know. But I look for positives or flashes of ability, and I saw that in both of them.

All I have about Clausen is his lowlights clip on youtube, the disdain the Carolina fans hold for him, and his stats. In 10 games as a rookie, Clausen fumbled 9 times and had 9 interceptions with only 3 touchdowns and about 150 yards per game. Maybe when the bullets are flying in preseason I'll be more impressed, but right now I'm not as enthusiastic as some.

9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    To me the only thing that's mildly exciting about Clausen is his potential upside. That and the fact that he's competition now. Palmer has some advantages over him at the moment but longer term Clausen may have a better future......maybe.

I'm just looking back on Emery comments prior to the draft and figuring Fales chances of ever being more than a #2 aren't all that good statistically speaking. If we buy into what Emery is selling then Clausen still does have shot at resurrecting his career and starting again somewhere someday.

I don't think it will be with the Bears but if we develop him he may prove to be good trade bait down the road. Basically we got him for nothing and if we ended up trading him for a pick or picks he may prove worth the investment and in the meantime we have a decent #2. I'm not rooting or him over Palmer just trying to visualize what might be.

10. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,336 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    Don't count me among them. I was just pointing out some similarities. Palmer hasn't started even a preseason game in the NFL, so I saw that as a difference. McCown was just awful prior to the Bears, just like Clausen.

Some folks look at a cloud and see one thing, other folks see something different. I'll accept your comparison as valid. Doesn't matter whether you see mine as valid or not (you didn't). I know what I see in the clouds.........two players I hope never see the field in the regular season.