Those Wanting a DT: 20 Years of #14 NFL Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 7, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Exactly and I really hope this all adds up to either Calvin Pryor or Ha Ha Clinton-Dix wearing a Bears uniform in 2014.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    Tuck, Suh, Allen, Peppers, just off the top of my head are all household name guys. OL, ya most don't really know the great ones, but the really good DL are household names
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    Those are all very recent players. Give it some years. Also Tait, and Brown(as well as Roaf) were o-lineman...even less recognition.
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    No, we saw our whole defense picked apart. As for ball skills....Conte, as a former corner has those...his angles were poor tackling...but that is a beaten dead horse that frankly I've grown tired of discussing. No matter how many facts I bring up, some people just don't want to listen.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    The article was just pointing out the fact that the position is seen by some coaches as more important than in the past. The Sean Payton quote about poor tackling, angles etc wasn't directed at the Chicago Bears. He was just talking about the position of safety in general and how the game has changed, making the position more important than in the past. He was saying that if you are weak at safety a QB will basically eat you alive. I agree with that. One other point. Nobody argues that the DL is not critically important to a team. But the better QB's have such a quick release now that the need for a solid secondary doesn't go away. We've seen that over the years with Aaron Rodgers in games where he's picked us apart with surgical precision - even in years where we did have a decent DL.

Regarding Conte, I'm hopeful he'll still be solid for us. We'll see.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  6. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This is the post of the thread right here folks. I agree 100%.

As for Conte, at this point he may not even be back. His return will be mid preseason at the earliest and he may not get a chance to get back up to speed.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +996 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Sure.... He did... Up until a guy got through the line and hit him. Then he was out for a few weeks. I love a physical D. If McClellin can actually be a real factor in the QB cat and mouse game (and I have my doubts), between him, Allen, Houston and hopefully some of the new guys (I really want to be able to say in my best announcers voice "And Cornwash was ALL OVER HIM!!" - it just has ring to it...), teams are going to have a tough time with us.
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    The DL is still more important to me, because regardless pass plays take time to develop. If it's a hot route I don't care who you have at safety, that won't matter, but a typical pass play has to develop. If the d-line creates pressure that alters a lot of things. The safety has become more important because of the advent of the pass catching tight end that presents match up problems for line backers, because of their speed and for safeties because of their size. For our old scheme...I'm calling it that because I'm assuming we won't be running a traditional Tampa 2 anymore, Urlacher could handle those types of tight ends because he was basically their counter part playing the Mike. We don't have that anymore, and won't in all likely hood for a very long time. The safeties in that scheme could play their traditional 1/3 of the field with ease. This year that wasn't the case, and in cover 2 our safeties truly had halves, not thirds like they should have. Big difference! Scheme is important, pressure is important.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    I'm seriously going to buy a C.Wash jersey if the guy makes the roster this year. But it will be one of those cheap Russian jerseys that go for $2.99 (plus free shipping).
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    I don't think we're disagreeing here. We both think the DL is important. We both hope that Conte plays solid for the Bears this season. We both understand that this isn't mutually exclusive of having the entire defense talented enough to win games. I think we're both just sitting back and watching Emery put the finishing pieces in place to enable Mel Tucker to have a solid defense. I think one of those pieces will probably be a safety drafted high in this draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Dude...share the link....I want a Conte haha
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    Yeah, we agree. I think it's a foregone conclusion we're drafting a safety within the first 3 rounds. I think it's gonna be DL, CB, S in the first 3, not necessarily in that order...unless somebody drops who's too good to pass up.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Haynes was a DE
  14. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    507ß
    No one here is downplaying the need for another Safety or maybe two. If you all caught what I did towards the end of the article it tracks back to what may be on Emery's mind. He brought in three FA Safeties plus brought Steltz back probably more for STeams where he's good. A couple of the others may be no more than STeams guy too but they all have starting experience on defense.

Some teams are getting greedy with safeties, stockpiling them like cases of water before a storm. Dominik points out some teams want three safeties who can play, as they are looking at athletic safeties as nickel defenders. The benefit is the safety typically is a better tackler than a cornerback would be, and he gives the defense more versatility in terms of matchups with tight ends. The Saints last year used a three safety package quite a bit in response to injury issues at other positions.

He still has Conte and I don't think there's any doubt about him drafting one somewhere in the first three rounds and possibly finding another one later on or as an UDFA. I think he's gonna throw as many guys back there as he can realistically find and let them battle it out for the four or maybe five spots on the roster.

The other factor in all this has more to do with how Tucker plans to scheme the coverage this year. It was an f'n mess last year but at least part of Tucker's expertise should be scheming his Safeties and CBs since it's what he coached before becoming a DC and also the position he played in college. If anyone should know what he wants in a front line Safety it's him and come time for the draft he may have a lot of say in what direction the Bears go with those first two or three picks.

DT, S, and CB are all pretty high on the wish list so not only does that pick depend on whose still on the board buy how Tucker, Trestman, and Emery rank those needs vs how I do or anyone else does. I can live with whatever way they do it as long as they get a top guy at one of those spots. With any luck we aren't gonna have a chance to pick this high again for a very long time so we need an impact player here. No reaches and no gambles. We need a guy who can play day one if he has to and has the potential to become a star player.