Thoughts and news on the defense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    Rookie linebacker Jonathan Bostic was critical of his performance after his first defensive snaps in the Bears’ 27-21 win over the New York Giants on Thursday night.

After replacing injured starter D.J. Williams at the end of the third quarter, Bostic said he could point out a mistake on every play.

Williams injured his chest trying to tackle Giants running back Brandon Jacobs. Williams wanted to get evaluated before commenting on his injury.

Bostic saw the game as a measuring stick.

“It’s just a chance to get back out there with those guys again, just being able to play,” Bostic said. “I’ve been doing my part on special teams, just been doing whatever they asked me. Tonight I got a chance to really go back out there, play again. So I got to clean up some of those things. It’s another learning experience for me.”

Bostic also saw some first- quarter action and played in the nickel package after linebacker James Anderson left the game with a back injury.

Among the reasons Bostic didn’t begin the season as the starter was his inconsistency in pass defense.

“He got in, got his nose in it,” linebacker Lance Briggs said. “He found out that some of the stuff that we see in practice or the preseason is a little bit different on the field. But Bostic is going to be big next week.”

So, we all know DJ Williams was out, but I didn't know that earlier in the game, James Anderson was out, and Bostic basically took over for Anderson in the nickle, and DJ on other plays. As bad as our defense is, I think DJ Williams is essential to us even having the little pass rush we have, so Bostic can stay on the bench, as far as I'm concerned. It's good that his return was only "questionable"
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,947 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    959ß
    Last night:
    out rest of the year Melton DT/Collins DT
    out entire game Tillman CB/Paea NT
    out part of the game DJ Will MLB/J Anderson OLB

What that meant:

Wootton DT(out of position)
    Whoever NT(shouldn't be on the team)
    Shea DE(shouldn't be a starter)
    Bowman CB(shouldn't be a starter)
    Castanzo and Bostic LB's(is a ST guy only/shouldn't be a starter).

that's a huge problem

I said in another thread Alex Brown flat out said on 670 the score that the cover 2 requires the front 4 to get pressure on it's own, and they do not have the horses to do it. Nothing Mel Tucker can do can correct that this year. If people go back far enough, before the team brought in Peppers they had the same problem and the D started to struggle also; which was why they went over the top to pay Peppers.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    That's very true. Damn shame Buffalo jumped in the chase for Mario Williams, because I think we'd at least have ONE good player on the line left.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,947 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    959ß
    ya and they went all cra cra to get him too.
  5. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    On the field that means we're exposed and it helped Jacobs rush for over 100 yards and carry over 4+ yards per carry. Poor tackling techniques showed up again on several of his longer runs as well. At least with a weekend off before Washington and a bye before the Packers, Da Bears have 2 games in like 20 days so hopefully Tillman, Williams & Anderson can rest up and recover for the second half of the season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,207 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    All true above but...the DL sucked hard even before Melton, Collins, and Paea got hurt. It was pretty pathetic in weeks 1-3 too. Peppers has been a huge disappointment this year. He has fallen off a cliff and is massively overpaid right now for the level of "production" he's giving (which is something like 5 tackles and 1 sack in 6 games).
    • Like Like x 2
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,345 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    735ß
    I am still in a bit of shock regarding Peppers decline. I just didn't see that coming. When we entered this season, I thought the DL would be one of our strengths. We had two Pro Bowl players returning. Paea looked pretty good to me too. The rest of the roster looked decent (I even thought Shea might improve a bit).

Then the bottom fell out. I just didn't think this outcome was even in the "realm of possibility" for us.
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,207 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    I'm shocked too. Never though he could disappear so fast. I watched him yesterday carefully and he made a few nice moves but mostly was a non-factor. He's playing this year like a barely adequate starter rather than like a multi pro bowler.

The only silver lining is that making a decision on what to do with him contract wise this spring shouldn't be hard anymore--release him.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,947 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    959ß
    Ya MP it sucked, but not like this.....and it was showing signs of slowly improving. the DL is now regressing fast. Jacobs just ran for 100 yards, the only other rb this year to actually run for 100yrds was AP, not a big brusier that was sitting on his coach earlier this year. That is regression at a frighting pace.
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,435 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    737ß
    As far as I am concerned, Bostic should be starting :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,207 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    True dat. I like your idea of Big Toe back at NT. With Paea, Woot, and Pep, that's at least decent against the run and might be able to generate some QB pressure with the help if selective blitzes. As it stands now, even marginal RBs are tearing it up against us on the ground. We could at least tighten that up by getting Woot back in position and Shea off the field for anything but sure passing downs. He was HORRIBLE last night in run defense.
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,345 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    735ß
    I too would like to see them bring Big Toe back. But I wonder if there is some "bad blood" over him not accepting a reduced contract?

[​IMG]

13. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    There's no way Bostic isn't an upgrade against the run, where dj feel pitifully short.

Seeing how bad the front four is at creating pressure, I need to see LBs blitzing Damn near every play.
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    But, Bostic isn't necessarily an improvement on pass defense, either. I know DJ wasn't in on Nickle downs, but Bostic was playing both last night, and he wasn't very good at it.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,947 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    959ß
    Actually the last few weeks DJ was in on nickle downs.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    THATS NOT WHAT I READ A FEW WEEKS AGO!!!!!111111111111
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,947 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    959ß
    THAT'S BECAUSE IT STARTED LAST WEEK!!!!!!222222222222222
  18. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    Not like DJ was scaring any qbs away from the middle or seams.
  19. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    As others have said, Toe is still available. Not a bad stop gap until Paea gets healthy. And Okoye is still available too if he still has anything left. I remember two years ago he got four sacks for us or something like that.
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    No, but given what we've seen from Bostic, this isn't going to be an upgrade of the position, anytime soon. I'm not too worried, because, like Jimmors said, "what better time than now?"
    • Like Like x 1